IGNORED

Voltage

Rick Haywood

OK question, is it possible to have enough voltage to start the bike but not enough to make it run properly? Today 2 times when I went to start it the thing spin then I thought it was started but didn't so I hit the button again and it fired right up. I then noticed that the trip odometer went back to zero both times. I have also noticed that the bike runs a little different lately nothing major and I have lost about 3 mpg. The bike starts very easy so do not have to crank more than a second or two.

Thanks

Rick

trip odometer went back to zero both times

I have read in the past that is a sign of battery going bad

Well I just put the charger on it and it showed about a 75% charge. I hope it is the battery and not the stator. Suppose to leave in a week for 8 days in West Virginia and don't need the problems. I guess I better put the meter to it and see if the thing is charging or not.:doh:

If it was ME I would charge it and take to parts house like Wes mention free and they can tell if is the battery

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

But I will be following that white M&M to WV, and if I see you on the side of the road, I will stop.......... I Promise Buddy..:whistling: :whistling:

Bryan

I'd do a check voltage check to make sure that the bike is still charging. If the stator is fried, you won't be going far once the battery has discharged.

Just get a voltmeter and check it across the battery terminals: with the bike off it should be around 12.6VDC, and with the bike running it should be better than 13.5V. If the running voltage is still 12.6VDC, let us know, you'd probably be ordering a stator..

the trip odometer went back to zero both times.

Did it labor to turn the engine over?

Mine did the exact same thing... reset the odometer but started the bike. Took the battery in and they said it was fine, not bad. But I got a new Deka battery and haven't had the same problem again.

So the battery doesn't always test bad.

What kind of battery is it. Mine was an Interstate that was only a year old. I kept it on the minder whenever I wasn't riding it for a few days.

I'm saying it's battery.

Besides all the stator advice, don't forget to check the rectifier. Even if you're getting volts to the battery terminals you might not be getting any amps. It's amps that spin the starter, not volts.... If you have a fairly fresh battery, and the stator shows volts, you may have a bad rectifier.....or the rec. plug is needing attention....

Rick, Best place to take a battery in our area(Peoria, IL area) is Interstate Battery on the N. side of Washington just of N. Main St. I think you know where it is, if not, give me a call, or look them up.

They will test it, and they should have any battery in stock.