IGNORED

iPod adapter for RSV - report

XV1100SE

At the WNY rally I picked up my iPod adapter from Pioneer and temporarily connected it for the trip back. Last night I went thru the permanent install.

Installation :

My '09 has the cd-changer cable already (but the PO didn't give me the cd-changer - which didn't really want anyway) and this is required to connect the iSimple adapter.

The cable for the iSimple plugs into the c-bus connector, and comes with a cable to connect the iPod to the iSimple adapter.

Documentation for fastening to the left saddlebag is easy to follow (used it for reference for positioning cable fasteners). Enough fasteners are provided, more would be unnecessary.

Two sided tape is provided to fasten the iSimple adapter to the rear inside wall of the saddlebag. The c-bus to iSimple cable is a good length to route the cable along the side wall of the saddlebag. The iSimple to iPod cable is very long but when wound up fits nicely in the recess in the bottom of the saddlebag. All this is well documented.

Once the iSimple is connected to the c-bus cable, turn the key to "Accessory" with radio on and it finds the interface. Instead of the "CD" you see a "1 - 1" on the radio display to confirm that it has found it and is ready to go.

There are two ports on the iSimple adapter but only port 1 is used to connect to the iPod.

The completed installation is nice and clean. The c-bus to interface cable fits against the side of the saddlebag and under the pocket between the latches. The iSimple interface is fairly shallow and doesn't protrude very much. The cable from the interface to iPod runs under the foam liner of the saddlebag across the back of the saddlebag to the recess in the bottom of the saddlebag and then over to the mesh pocket. Don't think any of this will interfere with the saddlebag liner/bag.

Usage :

With the iPod (instructions includes a list of models but it also works with iPhone) disconnected, choose the playlist you want to play. Once connected the interface on the iPod is disabled and you can't change playlists unless you disconnect the iPod. Connect the iPod to the iSimple cable and then you control it from the radio controls.

From the radio controls you can adjust volume level and go up/down tracks within the playlist you selected. No fast forward or ability to change playlists.

The display will always read "1 - 1". If you change tracks it will count up/down (down from "1 - 1" shows "1 - 99", up shows "1 - 2") but after a second or so it will go back to displaying "1 - 1".

Sound quality is crisp and clear. Very simple to go up/down tracks, adjust volume since you use the radio control... which for legal reasons they provide a sticker to go inside the lid of the saddlebag warning not to use while riding. For some reason I didn't afix this label !

With the iPod connected it will be continually charged. The instructions warn to disconnect the iPod if the bike will sit unused for any length of time as the iSimple will charge the iPod even with the bike turned off.

If you turn off the bike and back on (Accessory or Ignition) it will be in the same song so from initial testing it looks like shutting off the bike also stops playback but it picks up when you turn the key back on.

I WILL include some pictures tonight !

Price :

I will confirm from my receipt but I think the interface with c-bus to interface cable and interface to iPod cable, two sided tape, and clips was around $170 with the 15% discount Pioneer offers us. If you don't have the cable for the c-bus/CD-changer you'll need this as well.

Any other questions... let me know.

Edited by XV1100SE

marczing

Quote:

Originally Posted by marczing viewpost.gif

anyone know if this will work http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CCAI...le.html?tp=120

Originally Posted by marczing viewpost.gif

anyone know if this will work http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CCAI...le.html?tp=120

Product liteature states it works with Clarion CeNET head units. Venture uses c-bus interface.

pa_don

SO .... could you pull the cassette deck and use that c-bus port instead of having to acquire the CD cable? I'd rather perform the cassette player to dash conversion and have the iPod up front if it would work the same ...

pa_don

SO .... could you pull the cassette deck and use that c-bus port instead of having to acquire the CD cable? I'd rather perform the cassette player to dash conversion and have the iPod up front if it would work the same ...

pa_don

I don't know what type of cable connects the cassette. If it is c-bus I don't see why it wouldn't work and if the c-bus cable for the cd originates in the fairing you could just use that connection.

I'm pretty sure that won't work as it's an extension cable. If we could find a price this cheap for the right cord then this would be affordable. Isimple is charging about what Pioneer Motorsports is for the gateway box. However, every yamaha dealer out there wants at least $155 for that C.D. cable. I'm not willing to shell out $350 to $400 just to get ipod integration when I already have an aux input.

Edited by marczing

For those that have looked on the cassette.... is it a c-bus connector?

If it is... then connecting the iSimple adapter inside the fairing might work. You could then turn the cassette spot into a storage compartment and put the iPod there.

If it is the same cable and the iSimple interface doesn't work when plugged into the cassette input on the radio you should be able to plug it into the cd connector instead.

I haven't looked at the back of the cassette but doubt it is a c-bus connector.

That is the exact cable I just purchased from Sierra to replace a defective one that I had on the bike, it connects to the connector in the fairing and is long enough , actually twice as long as you need , to reach back to the saddlebags or the trunk and plugs directly into the CD player. My CD works just fine with that cable.

I'm pretty sure that won't work as it's an extension cable. If we could find a price this cheap for the right cord then this would be affordable. Isimple is charging about what Pioneer Motorsports is for the gateway box. However, every yamaha dealer out there wants at least $155 for that C.D. cable. I'm not willing to shell out $350 to $400 just to get ipod integration when I already have an aux input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M61A1MECH viewpost.gif

Seirra Electronics has the CD C-BUS cable on their E-Bay store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clarion-C-BUS-Extension-Cables-CCA329-/160392215178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25581e fa8a

Thanks Steve....you may be the answer to a few people's prayers :-)

That is the exact cable I just purchased from Sierra to replace a defective one that I had on the bike, it connects to the connector in the fairing and is long enough , actually twice as long as you need , to reach back to the saddlebags or the trunk and plugs directly into the CD player. My CD works just fine with that cable.

Because this integrates all the component into one control allowing me to skip tracks the same way I change radio channels. It could also be argued that it will increase the resale value of say a 2000 RSV since it has the same audio as the 2011

Zinger

I am confused, I have been running an I-pod for years with a small pin cable to the back of the cassette (no longer there) and have no problems. Why make a simple thing complicated.

:farmer:

Price - Audio set P/N 1BM-H81C0-T0-00 - reg price $224.95 - w/discount $191.21

Quoted was the interface cable P/N STR-CDCHG-11-00 - reg $88.69 - w/discount $75.39

I didn't need the interface cable since my '09 was already wired for the cd-changer.

The above was from Pioneer Motorsport.

Does anyone know what the connector for the cassette deck is? Is it c-bus?

Haven't split the fairing for a while but I thought all the Clarion componets were c-bus interface.. using it as opposed to the CD/ saddle bag and converting the reamaining space to storage was exactly what I was thinking when I first posed that question.

Still not sure which ISimple module is being used and what, if any adapter cable is being used from the ISimple to the c-bus. I could not find any ISimple gateways that had a c-bus output. Any info would be appreciated. There are a couple of other units out there that do exactly what the ISimple gateway does (for less) but the harness is only for auto audio systems. Thought that if we knew what harness is being supplied this could be done for less $$$

If not may have to break the piggy bank open :mo money:

pa_don