IGNORED

Voyager crash

phill12

Mike Ray from one of the other clubs crashed his bike and It was all caught on his VIDEO CAMERA. crash happen at the 8 min. mark

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DymMZv73-_Q&feature=share]motorcycle wreck at about the 8 minute mark, my wife is on her bike in front of me - YouTube[/ame]

PHILL

Edited by phill12

There seems to be a scraping sound as he starts the turn and that turn seems tighter than the other left-handers to that point. Wonder if something could have touched down solidly and levered up the rear wheel.

Andy

Edited by darthandy

If you listen when his wife asks him if he's okay. They hug and then he was explaining what happened (around 10:50 or so on the video). He said that he was in Neutral. No drive to the rear wheel. Thinking that may have had a little to do with it.

Edited by gibvel

If you listen when his wife asks him if he's okay. They hug and then he was explaining what happened (around 10:50 or so on the video). He said that he was in Neutral. No drive to the rear wheel. Thinking that may have had a little to do with it.

Absolutely!!! If it got bumped into neutral, or at least out of gear, going into a turn, especially a fairly tight one, the bike would slow down and drop to the inside of the turn. That could quickly lead to something grounding before any corrective action could be taken. You don't have a lot of time to react in that situation and even an experienced road racer would find it difficult to act that quickly...especially on a big, heavy bike with more limited ground clearance.

I wonder if he tried to shift down to first gear and caught neutral instead...that would certainly do it.

Andy

Edited by darthandy
Had another thought.

Guest scarylarry

This is what he posted about it.

I went down yesterday on a group overnight ride to Mountain View, AR. there were 8 of us on 6 bikes. Coming back to Tulsa yesterday I went to downshift right before entering a downhill left turn and inadvertently found neutral. By that time I thought I was leaned over to far to brake and shoved on the left handle bar and tried to make it around. When you watch and listen to the video you'll hear the boards scraping along with other parts before it slides off the highway. I'm rolling to the left of the bike thinking that I sure hope I stop before the bike does,, LOL..

Anyway, after everything came to a stop, I sit up and kinda shake my head then stand up and I'm pleased not to see any bones sticking out and consider myself a very fortunate human being. The bike directly in front of me is my wife and there are 3 other bikes in front of her. My buddy and his girlfriend are following me and got to the whole show. He gave me style points for originality but said my landing sucked, lol.

My injuries are minor,nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises. I recommend you do not try this at home.

BTW, things start happening around the eight minute mark.

He may have had other issues, but the way I see it, he didn't apex the corner. He started the corner on the inside track and then was easily forced into the outside track and then lost it. He should have been on the outside track to start the curve and looking to move to the inside track half way through. If he'd doen that, he would have been able to save his bacon.

He may have had other issues, but the way I see it, he didn't apex the corner. He started the corner on the inside track and then was easily forced into the outside track and then lost it. He should have been on the outside track to start the curve and looking to move to the inside track half way through. If he'd doen that, he would have been able to save his bacon.

Yeah, it looks that way. Since they were riding in a group, they were probably trying to stay in their "own lane" through turns, which works fine at lower speeds. They seemed to be going a good deal faster at this point then at others in the ride and that's when they all should have started apexing their turns, rather than following group ride protocols. You're right...had he started to the outside and gone for the apex he would have been in a better position to handle his problem. At the very least, since he was slowing down, he could have stayed in his "lane" rather than try to sharpen the turn and drag parts.

Oh well...hindsight is usually 20/20 and I'm sure we've all pulled a bone head stunt or two over the years...I know I have. Sometimes you get lucky, er, I mean skillful , and zip through and other times you eat pavement. At least he walked away with nothing more serious then a few scrapes and a bump to his ego.

Andy