IGNORED

Top Trunk location

pa_don

For those that have the Hannigan conversion, Is it possible to move the top trunk back to the rear or second location to provide more passenger room?

Mine looks to be mounted in the first or forward set of holes and looks like it will hit the small lip that is on the Hannigan kit just above the bottom trunk if the top trunk were to be moved back.

pa_don

Don

I don't remember if mine is in the front or rear, but I think it is in the rear. It will be really close to the lip, and mine is. It is easy to do and check, just few small bolts. Check to see that the plates were put back it on the rear bolts that prevent the cracking too... If not get a couple of 1.5 or 2 inch fender washers to put on the rear two bolts, and snug, not gorilla tight.

Thanks for verifying it can be done. I looked at the mounting. Seems mine is in the front 2 holes of the mounting plate. There are no nuts on the back holes and the ones in the front hole appear to tack welded in place. I did verify I have the trunk re-enforcement plates. When I moved the trunk back to the where it would be if I could mount it in the rear position, it looked like it would hit that lip. I'll have to pick up a couple nuts and see if I can shift it back. The rear just seems to be cramped with it in the front position.

Yes, I HAD to do this as my wife felt that it was to small of a space

after the conversion. I moved it back and added (2) Rubber Shock

Washers and longer bolts. so it would not touch the lower lip on the body , you will see what I mean when you look at it, been working fine for 2 years. not sure

what happens after the conversion , but it was not the same.

Jeff

`Mine is over the lower lip

`Mine is at the rear hole OR I might of even brought it back farther.

-I also re-drilled the holes over the false fender and moved the

passenger seat as well for her.

Jeff, I agree.... although it all seems to be in the stock locations, it is much tighter. I even feel as if I have been moved up forward in the front. I looked at your pics - NICE MM! - and see what you were talking about. Will need to spend some time playing around to see what I can do.

pa_don

Jeff, Thanks. I didn't have time to pull the trunk off today but I am assuming the rubber spacers you mentioned are the same ones that are used up front and are made to fit over the chrome subframe. I wasn't sure if that would be enough to raise it up and clear the lip in the body. If I get time later I want to put it off and see just how much more clearance it needs.

pa_don

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have photos of this movement arrangement? 1.5-2 inch washers sure seems like a rather tall stack. Do I need to remove the trunk in order to determine if mine is in the front or the rearmost location? I am not that mechanically inclined and I sure don't want to screw something up!

Hey thanks guys you talking about moving the trunk, made me look at my RSV non trike and I moved my trunk back one hole. I think that will help my 6 foot tall wife and maybe I will get to use my back rest again. It`s not a big move but a little bit can make a big difference.

Does anyone have photos of this movement arrangement? 1.5-2 inch washers sure seems like a rather tall stack. Do I need to remove the trunk in order to determine if mine is in the front or the rearmost location? I am not that mechanically inclined and I sure don't want to screw something up!

I not only moved back the trunk on my Hannigan trike but also up a bit in order to clear the back lip of the body. I don't have pics of what I did but if I remember correctly I raised the entire trunk up a 1/2" to 3/4" using some steel spacers I bought at my local True Value hardware store. I also moved back the trunk about 3'4 ". I made extensions with flat stock and nuts welded to the bottom to secure the trunk to.

Need more info send a e-mail to me so I can either make a more detailed drawing or maybe send pics to you.

Larry

What Larry and I did was put some 5/8" spacers ( if I remember correctly)over the rear holes then cut some 1/8" aluminum sheet to fit under the trunk, giving it complete support from the bottom. This allowed us to move the trunk up and back more than whats provided for by the factory locations. Plenty of passenger space now.

Maybe Larry got some pics of the setup, I thought I did but can't find them.