IGNORED

Red light trouble

orbie

I have a problem at red lights. The sensor in the road doesn't see the RSV. I added a green light trigger magnet and it still dosen't see it. My last bike was a 04 V-Star and it triggered the lights just fine. Anyone have any ideas? I have a large bar magnet that I'm thinking of strapping to the underside of the bike.

Sometimes my scoot will not trigger a light change. After a reasonable wait of 5 minutes I will roll through the intersection when it is safe to do so. Most LEO's are fair and reasonable....my logic tells me if the LEO saw me blow the light he also saw me waiting for the light to change....to date no pullover's and no ticket.

Caution....If you are at a city intersection that has cameras installed to catch red light runners you are pooched. Best you can do is pull off to the side and let a car come up and trigger the light for you.

Boomer....who sez ya meet the nicest folks at a intersection when ya ask em to pull up beside ya and trigger the light. :whistling:

Red light cameras don't stay on constantly. They are set to fire the camera a couple times around the light change to red.

Different States/Provinces allow for you to go thru a red light if it hasn't tripped within a certain number of minutes. Depends on the location.

I've rolled back then forward to try to trip the light and usually that works. Otherwise, if you have a car behind you and it hasn't tripped (because I'm on the sensor and they are behind it) I'll move forward and give the car room to move onto the sensor. Usually the'll move up.

Many times you can see where they cut the pavement to put in the loop. I try to stop just inside the loop next to one edge.

Here in Wisconsin, the law is...

If you believe the light is vehicle actuated, and you have waited at least 45 seconds, and it is safe to do so, you can proceed with caution.

At intersections that the light refuses to cooperate and there is no possibility of help from a cage I will hop off the bike go push the pedestrian crosswalk button and hustle back to the RSV and proceed.

I will park to the left side of the loop and stop so that I think the exhaust is closest to the sencer. I had a magnet and lost it but haven't experienced a great deal of problems. There is so much traffic anymore that there is almost always some cage wanting to be where I am.

I have never just proceeded through a red light. With my luck that would be the time the LEO walked out of the doughnut shop.

Orbie, I just checked out the ABATE of the Garden State website...

http://www.gardenstateabate.org/html/about.htm#Ten

On their legislative agenda top ten list is..

7. Option to proceed at unresponsive red lights.

So, I guess legally preceeding safely through a defective light is not an option in your state yet.

That means there isn't a motorcycle specific law.

Let the light cycle twice. If it does not detect you twice its not going to. Detection loops are not going to see that little magnet they call a green light trigger. The loops are quite often fifty feet long so your little magnet is not enough to induce current flow of a fifty foot induction coil. Go thru it after the second cycle.

Two magnets are better than one. The sensitivity on the street lights can be adjusted. Call your city highway department and complain. As far as running the light goes, the cops may just tell you to explain it to the judge.

Mike

Two magnets are better than one. The sensitivity on the street lights can be adjusted. Call your city highway department and complain. As far as running the light goes, the cops may just tell you to explain it to the judge.

Mike

police don't want to go to court to lose. Too many of those and they'll be assigned to school crossing guard.

Used to work night shift and would get stuck at one of these damn lights almost every ride home. My solution was to put the bike on the kickstand, get off, walk over to the pole and push the pedestrian cross walk button... the light would be just about turning green by the time i got back to the bike...

Another option I have used many times is to make a right on the red, drive a hundred yards and make a U-turn.

Lots-O-fun.

I have a magnet that I put on and it works for most. I do, however, have a red light above the house that just will not trip...I have called the city twice in 30 days. Today, my little bitty plastic GMC Suburban (sarcasm) just would not trip it either. Problem is, the cross street is the tanker shortcut to an interstate and they just don't slow down.

I am going to invite the person I talk to at the city to meet me and a TV reporter at the intersection tomorrow. So far this month, I have run that light 18 times. HMMMMMMMM