IGNORED

So I went & did it!

pa_don

After more than a year of being bikeless since loosing my 2 wheeler in Yellowstone, I found an '07 with a Hannigan conversion. :cool10: Sorry to anyone that I might have beat out on this deal :whistling: but I knew I had to move fast. The bike is in great condition overall and very low miles. Gas mileage is only in high twenty's and I squeaked 30 out of 1 tank but carbs are in need of a sync. I would hope to get it back into the mid 30's. I've seen a few other that said they were getting upwards near 40 mpg but that's about what I used to get with 2 wheels.

I have to get an inspection (PA) done next week and I know it needs a new front tire. I am leaning to the Metzler 880 (rear) right now pending any other input from others. I am also looking for any information on the conversion (I know Hannigan does not provide an install guide) but am hoping there is a maintenance guide. There was nothing that came with the bike.

It does not have the EZ Steer rack kit so I am looking for input from others that may have waited to have it installed after the initial trike was done. I can handle it ok but it can take some strong arming in the curves. Does it really make a big difference on the Venture since the front is already slightly racked?

I also heard that just adding the Baron's risers can make a great difference in the amount of effort required to steer.

So far I like it and will be starting to put some "touches" to it over time.

Any input is appreciated!

Nice and congrats! Now clear something up for me please. I thought those things had car tires on the rear and if not why couldn't you put those on instead of a m/c tire for the back?

I think he is saying that his thinking of putting a metz 880 tire intended for rear use on the front of his scoot.

Brian

I think he is saying that his thinking of putting a metz 880 tire intended for rear use on the front of his scoot.

Brian

Yep that's what I think he's trying to say as well. I put a Dunlop rear on the front of mine and like it that way.

Pa_Don welcome to the three wheeled world. Your going to love that bike after you get it set up to your liking and become familiar with what you can & can not do on it.

Certainly get the trees raked. Doing that makes a world of difference in steering & handling.

I'll let the Hannigan owners chim in for the more technical info you asked about.

Enjoy your ride.

Larry

Thanks for the nice comments. You are all correct. I have Kumos on the rear with lots of tread left. They seem to ride pretty nice. I am looking at putting a rear tire of the correct size up front to get some extra tread like lots of others.

Larry, I thought about the Dunlop (404s) but I was not pleased with the last one I had on the rear of my 2 wheel. I only got about 4500 miles before she was worn out. Just curious is yours mounted with "reverse" rotation?

I am no tire expert and in looking at the Metzlers there are several "versions" of the 150/80-16. Not really sure which one I should get. I also looked at the Continental Milestone since they are used on other baggers and seem to have good tread life.

Oh well, I guess I need to cash in some more pop bottles to get coin for the EZ Steer & aux fuel tank! May take a while.....

Craig, I'll be coming up your way but in the cage to take the daughter back to school at KU. Will definitely keep the offer in mind, Thanks!

pa_don

pa_don

I had my '08 converted in '09 with the Hannigan kit and wouldn't have it any other way. If you want a Maintenance guide, you may want to contact Hannigan directly and ask them. They have a website and are extremely nice.

As for the tire, I am also running kumo's on the back. This is my 2nd set and I think I got about 35,000 off the first ones. The front tire...the one I had on and loved the best, they don't make any more. So when I had to replace it I ended up with a Kendra K673 Kruz. I did not reverse the tread because it's the same either way. I can't tell you yet how good it is because I only have about a 1000 miles on it. I ordered it online and my mechanic mounted it for me.

I have the EZ steer and wouldn't trade it for anything. However, I put 1 1/2" risers on it too. Before the risers, I had a hard time steering, especially in tight turns. But the risers made a world of difference. The aux gas tank was not available when I had mine triked. Thought about adding it, but it's too expensive for me right now and the wife likes to stop every 100 miles anyway.

As for gas mileage, I only get in the high 20's right now...unless I am loaded and pulling my trailer and then it drops to the mid 20's. I also ride hard tho. If I ride a 2 lane road and stay around 55 mph, I get better mileage...but that doesn't happen often. Hoping to get with Muffinman one of these days. He thinks he can color tune it and get better mileage.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I really love my Hannigan conversion and only live about 30 minutes from them.

Don

[ Larry, I thought about the Dunlop (404s) but I was not pleased with the last one I had on the rear of my 2 wheel. I only got about 4500 miles before she was worn out. Just curious is yours mounted with "reverse" rotation? ]

The Dunlop 404 rear I have has well over 15,000 miles on it. Probably closer to 18,000 miles on it. I measured thread depth just before posting this & it has lots of thread left, 1/4" in the center but noticed it's just now starting to show a bit of cupping.

I mounted it in the normal way with the arrow facing forward as I wanted to get the most out of the thread pattern for sheding water.

I wasn't too concered about reversing it for torque problems when braking as most all of my braking is done with the rear tires. With a 12" rotor and calipers off of a Ford Crown Victoria I have more then enough stopping power back there!

Larry

Larry, Thanks for the input. Up till the last pair of 404's I had good luck. The last ones just "burned" out way too fast. I'm impressed with your milage. The best I got out of them on 2 wheels was just over 14K and I thought that was GREAT!

I had heard some good things about the Bridgestones when on a trike - most people don't seem to like them for 2 wheels.

Still struggling, but I need to make the order tonight to have one in time for inspection this week.

Looks like lots of rain locally so I won't get much time to "play".

I'll take any input anyone has. Best way to learn the ropes!

pa_don

Larry,

You made me reconsider the 404's. I looked at what was already on the bike and yep, a standard Dunlop front 404. The trike had just over 14K on it and this looked like it could have been the original tire. So I ordered up a REAR 404 (of the correct size). Got it for a little over $100 on sale shipped direct to the dealer for FREE too! Hoping I just had a poor set last time. If it doesn't work out I'll probably try the Continentals

pa_don :mo money:

Congrats: :thumbsup2: you will love it. Glad the info sent helped.

To answer your question on the rake kit installation: Yepp you have to take the front all the way down to the frame. Some experience or knowledge of the workings of the inner faring, and associated parts is a Big Help,,,:) but worth it when done.

This is what it will look like about half way through.... and a few parts lying around. :yikes:

George, I do owe you a public "THANK-YOU"! The info will definitely help out and you've been more than generous with your time.

Given my cash position right now, I won't be doing the rack for a while but everyone seems to agree that it really makes a world of difference. I'm sure I could do it once I muster up the courage and just start. I figure a few months of wrestling this beast around will "convince" me! Based on what little back roads I have been on, seems you can really get a workout taking the twisties....

Don; you ain't jokin about the work out,,,:) I put about 15K on my Goldwing before I did the front end. Best bang for the buck even at the 1K cost. Wasn't even a question when I did my Venture. I did ride it about 300 miles with out it while I was waiting for the paint appointment to come, and with the wide Continental front tire,, I almost gave up ridding all to gather,,,,,:):):):):)--- NOT: but was glad the paint appointment was only a few days out at the time.

So the bike passed PA inspection today (WHEW!) I was concerned about the LED lights and flashing rate. There is no load equalizer installed and they flash right at the FPM limit PA allows. Got the new rubber on the front and it actually seemed to make a world of difference in handling (or maybe just my imagination!) They would not pass the bike if I had them mount the tire with reverse rotation... oh well, we'll see how this goes...... now if I could get some decent weather I could actually get out and RIDE!

Don, keep us posted on how the Kendra Kruz wears. I started looking at it very close before going with the 404. It looks like it could be one of the most squared off tires out there making it perfect for the trike!

Thanks everyone for all the input.

pa_don