IGNORED

Decided to Rest in the middle of an Intersection

BradT

Leaving Milwauke today and at a large intersection I had a fall. The intersection had two left turning lanes, three straight through lanes and a right turn lane. As I approached the intersection turning left with an advanced turn the light turned yellow. I was not going fast as I was not familiar with the road and I slowed right down as the light changed. I looked back to see if Rhonda was would be okay and she stopped thank goodness. As I looked forward a car jumped the green and was right there so I hit the brakes and went down on the left side, and fell off the bike. The bike rolled/flipped to the right side and stopped.

The guy who jumped the green before I could get all the way through the intersection and appearantly swerved away from me but never stopped. An older gentleman who turned right behind chased the car for a mile and then told the kid he caused an accident and he just drove away. The older fellow got his license and gave it to me. Three other people stopped to help and said they saw it and gave me there numbers.

The police said nothing they can do as there was no accident as he went through a green but also stated he should have waited till I cleared the intersection.

I have bruise on my knee and one on my elbow, no real road rash but a small tear in good blue jeans. The four crash bars did there job scraped but the front two bent backwards and broke the tabs in the centre of both lower fairings. That is all the damage that I can see

People and the police were very nice and helpful. Two different officers showed up as they were not sure whos jurisdiction it was. The one officer was very concerned and very considerate to Rhonda feelings as she was obviously very shaken watching the whole thing.

Obviously we were both very lucky as it could have been much worse, so all is good.

Brad

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are ok Brad. Those things fall over quick dont they! I know as I have done it twice and been sent for a ride or tumble as you did.

The crash bars also bend very easy as you noticed and that is why the brace is put on by many.

All in all...wrecking a pair of jeans is not so bad as what could have been if the kid had hit you.

Again...glad you are alright and its rough on Rhonda...Marilyn had to see me fall twice and I got to see her dump once over the years.

Take care.

That was a really tough break Brad. Glad that for the most part you are OK. It could have been worse good thing you were not going any faster than you were or he may have clipped you. I can well imagine what must have gone through poor Rhonda's mind as she watched it all go down. Hope she is OK as well.

That split second that you saw the car saved yourlife. You saw it panicked and reacted as would we all. I have seen an accident wherethe rider was completley unaware that he was gonna get hit.

The guy didnt make it so Im glad this ant the case. What upsets me is that you said "KID" which implies thecar driver was young and I have come close to many young rivers while driving my rig. They dont respect my rig and less a bike. He probably droveoff thinking " stupid Biker" . Now I know I shouldnt be adding gas to the fire but thats where my mind goes after an incident

The police said nothing they can do as there was no accident as he went through a green but also stated he should have waited till I cleared the intersection.

Brad

I don't understand that at all!!

"There was no accident"...so you dumped your bike on purpose?

"as he went through a green"....if he jumped the light it wasn't green yet...unless you were going thru a red or failing to yeild, SOMEONE was in the wrong.

Glad you are OK. Sounds like not much damage for "flipping" side to side.

I don't understand that at all!!

"There was no accident"...so you dumped your bike on purpose?

"as he went through a green"....if he jumped the light it wasn't green yet...unless you were going thru a red or failing to yeild, SOMEONE was in the wrong.

Glad you are OK. Sounds like not much damage for "flipping" side to side.

Ya, confused here to. I am glad your OK BradT . Someone/police officer should have a least looked the young gun up and give him a good talking to at least. I have done this myself while flagging around home here. I work for the state hwy department and have had a few instances where the person on the other end would run our work zone and I would stop them and talk to them on the other end of the traffic set up. Most are young or either older people. Seems that this does at least get some attention from them. Maybe save someone else's life next time. Stuff like this causes me to get really upset. I see this all the time at work, whether in the summer while mowing the right away or in the winter during snow and ice removal. People seem to think they are invincible, while putting others in dangerous/life threatening situations.

Frustrated Fuzzy :confused24:

Fuzzy

Sounds like his light was still red when he jumped it. Talk to witnesses. He should have been wrote for Leaving Scene of a accident causing injuries. If he jumped the light his insurance should pay?? Glad you weren't hurt any worse Brad. That really sucks!!

That stuff sure happns fast eh Brad? Glad to hear there's not too much damage to the bike and even less to you. I'm sure that with a few parts purchased you can make that bike look and ride as good as new again. If you saw mine after Joyce & I went down in Ga you'd of thought mine was totalled. Bikes get fixed much easier so Thank your Father in Heaven & his Angels for watching over you.

Larry