IGNORED

Ignitech programmable TCI-plug & play group purchase definately happening

I have enough commitment and 6 payments already in hand to definitely proceed with the Ignitech module group purchase.

Original thread with some more details linked below. Please note this thread has reference to a used MAP sensor which is not going to be the case (will include new MAP sensor) & price adjusted to reflect new unit.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62223

I am doing this in conjunction with the VMaxForum.net group.

I will order the TCI's Sunday night, so I need commitment by then.

You will get following:

Pre programmed new, version 80 Ignitech module (warranty by Ignitech)

A revised program that is much better than what Ignitech is supplying.

Adapter harness for either a 1983-1989 Venture or a 1990-1993 Venture, plug & play & matching program in TCI.

A new 1 bar GM MAP sensor and wiring connector properly connected to Ignitech harness.

All documentation and original files from Ignitech along with any useful info I have collected on a CD.

Marine grade velcro to attach TCI & MAP sensor.

Small tube of dielectric grease.

I am trying to find some 3/16" vacuum hose, but is rare apparently, at least locally.

All TCI's for the 1983-1989 will be tested on my bike. I cannot start the 1990-1993 TCI's due to coil differences, but I can program module.

Cost is $248 including USPS Priority shipping to US addresses. I will send anywhere, but shipping will be more.

Ignitech also has a series of connectors that are a match for some on the Ventures and if any are wanted I will get them along with TCI.

Ignitech main thread (extensive) is linked below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40414

I don't know if this group buy will be done again, due to the number of units I need to get at a time to make it feasible.

Gary

Edited by dingy
spelling

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me 2 and do you know anything about how well the 1990+ program would work?

I am working with a member here and a VMax customizer on the VMax site to make sure I get the 1 pickup coil version correct. I just ordered a VMax service manual on ebay for the 1 pick up coil version a while ago and am getting it expressed shipped. The Vmax wiring & setup will be similar to the 90-93 Venture. TCI program will be similar.

The black box is the same between the 83-89 4 pick up coil version & the 90-93 1 pick up coil version. The difference is in the wiring of the adapter harness & the software setting uploaded into the TCI.

I am sending you payment info by a PM.

Gary

Dingy-

Thanks for taking the time to guide me on the phone with some of these settings! The bike runs great and even wheelied it. Unbelieveable! Do you or anyone else have any data on a failure rate of these ignatek TCI's?

I have no knowledge of any failures. I am sure that is an unrealistic overall assessment though. Everything can fail.

I just haven't heard of any at this point.

Ask me this next week when I have 20 of them on the work bench. I am closing in on that number. Got 1 VMax guy getting 2 of them. He is a VMax customizer and will be valuable in helping get the long term potential from these things. He has put out some machines that make my output resemble a moped.

Gary

I finally got a response from Ignitech today and got the TCI's paid for & ordered.

Dealing with them has been a challenge due to the language barrier.

Paypal gave me an unexpected loss by using a much different exchange rate than common market values, but reading the terms & conditions, they can do that.

I probably won't have them by the weekend as I had hoped for,so they won't get sent out Monday. DHL has taken 4 days transit time to get overseas packages delivered. And they are not cheap.

I have two extra TCI's coming if anyone is still interested.

Gary

I finally got a response from Ignitech today and got the TCI's paid for & ordered.

Dealing with them has been a challenge due to the language barrier.

Paypal gave me an unexpected loss by using a much different exchange rate than common market values, but reading the terms & conditions, they can do that.

I probably won't have them by the weekend as I had hoped for,so they won't get sent out Monday. DHL has taken 4 days transit time to get overseas packages delivered. And they are not cheap.

I have two extra TCI's coming if anyone is still interested.

Gary

Gary,

How much to make it right so you are not out of pocket?

I am OK on cash, It was about $100 more than I anticipated. But I am still OK. My paypal balance is zero at this point. But I did get two extra TCI's with what I had to put in. So I am fine. And I am making a little money at this. I have spent a lot of time getting this coordinated. Just finding a affordable map sensor was very time consuming. I found a very nice lady to deal with at a China based company that has been fantastic to work with. Her grasp of English is better than mine. She has gotten me tech specs & dimensional drawings and pinouts very quickly. The sensors were very nicely packaged and construction looks good. I haven't tested any yet, but I am confident they will be fine.

Now the people in Czech, that is another can of worms, as far as the language barrier. Last problem was, I requested that they add the 3 MAP/TPS wires to the connector and make them 1 meter long. They interpeted that to mean I wanted the entire adapter harness 1 meter long. This would be a PIA to deal with. And they invoiced me about 80 ($120 USD) Euros for the additional length. I revised the invoice and paid it tonight without the extra length & upcharge. I have no idea how the email tomorrow morning is going to read when they translate it. I even sent a picture of the last harness they sent me with notes on it.

They had difficulty grasping the concept the 90-93 Venture was different than the 90-07 VMax so far as wiring harness. VMax fuel pump does not go through the TCI, Venture does so it needs different adapter cable. I drew schematics for each of the 3 different cable versions(83-89Venture & 85-89 VMax is 3rd one) so they could visualize it. I still may need to modify cables, but I think they understand.

Gary

TCI order has been accepted by Ignitech this morning.

I believe they understand about the cable lengths, they dropped the upcharge.

I also got them to throw in the male side of the connector that hooks in to the bikes harness. Reason for this is the Ignitech plug locks do not match the bikes harness locks. With the other end users can choose to swap out this connector if desired. The connector as it is has given me no problems, I just asked for these because they probably threw them away anyhow. Paid a $1.00 for the terminals for each pair but it was worth it.

The connector swap is NOT necessary to use the TCI. See attached picture of what I sent them. Picture shows two six pin connectors, will be getting one six pin & one eight pin connector.

Haven't seen a shipping notice yet, but it will take a little time to get harnesses made up. 2nd picture shows an 83-89 Venture harness.

I really hope this all comes together, it's looking good at this point.

:beersign:

Gary

Question about the new tci does it effect cruise control?

There is no connection between the TCI & the cruise that I am aware of with the exception of the 12V+ feed & ground connections. Cruise should not be affected.

My cruise, which is a stock Venture 88 configuration functions the same whether I have a stock TCI in or the Ignitech in.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
Gary, I got in on this topic late,so would you sum up what this unit would do for my bike compared to the stock unit.

There is not a lot of hard data on these units yet to say for sure what the overall benefits are performance wise.

It could be Yamaha put the optimum program in the stock TCI and there is little room for improvement. I doubt that is the case though. I really think there is room for improvement from the stock TCI's.

The first item is these are digital based TCI's with fairly modern technology. The 83-89 TCI's were analog based with 28 year old (minimum technology).

Another great feature is these TCI's are encapsulated in epoxy. Pretty much waterproof. Downside is it can't be altered if ever desired. The stock TCI's were put in just about the worst place on the bike possible, right out front where water spray was, and right above the heads with the heat issues. The VMaxs did utilize a better mount area than the Ventures.

The stock TCI's have been known to fail from component failures, there are 8 barrel diodes that corrode, fail and kill the TCI.

The stock TCI's had no user programing features at all. Since the timing is not adjustable mechanically on these bikes, there was no way to tweak them. The Ignitech unit can be adjusted within a 10x10 point matrix for timing. One axis is RPM's and the other is intended for a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) but I think most of us that have this unit are using a MAP sensor (or BAR sensor). Based on these two inputs a timing advance is obtained. The software has preset units for the TPS input at 0, 2, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, & 100%. The RPM values can be set in 100 RPM steps. See next chart. At the intersection of these two values the advance desired can then be input. The chart can be viewed in three formats to help visualize the input values.

As well as the timing ability, there is a built in variable rev limiter, ability to adjust the coil excitation (dwell time), this is useful if aftermarket coils are used such as Coil Over Plugs.

There is the ability to disable the ignition from 1-40 revolutions when starting to help clear cylinders (I use 1 rev).

Output for a gear shift light, can be set up to power a fuel pump relay with the time delay, also tach output.

If you were a true gear head, there is a clutch shift input, so you don't have to let off the throttle when power shifting. When clutch is pulled, ignition is interrupted for a variable, brief time measured in milliseconds thus allowing the shift.

All of these settings are done via a laptop hooked up to the TCI via a built in com port and supplied software.

The last picture shows the Bike tab of the software, this is the page that has the parameters for a particular bike style. The same black box will work on a lot of different bikes, the setup for a particular bike model is done on this page and not really changeable, also the adapter cable is unique to a bike model.

Gary