IGNORED

Need a Yamaha Rear axel Gear case assembly

CaptainJoe

Yup...You guessed it...

The 650 VStar and RSV have a lot more in common than the gas caps....

Although not the same part number, they do not sell the final drive shaft assembly seperatly(as it must mesh exactly with its counterpart in the hub). They do sell the coupling gear for 18.29.

So I Need a 650 Yamaha Rear axel Gear case assembly.

Part no# 5FB-46101-00-00 or 5FB-46101-01-00

The splines are completely gone, they were rusty, as no grease was ever put on them....

So word of warning... all you RSV and 650 owners need to pull the driveline and grease the splines on the coupling gear. This drive assembly for the 650 is over $500 new...

In the meantine, I'm going to mig weld the coupling gear to the final drive shaft assembly on the inside. this will not allow it to be dissassembled, but you cannot buy the parts seperately anyway.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Joe,

I would think if you weld it, you may discover an excessive amount of vibration...

because you bypassed the reason for the rubber vibration absorbing boots and went directly from metal pins to metal housing...no cushioning between them now... my opinion only...

If i drill two holes in the middle/end of the coupling gear and weld to the splined portion of the final drive shaft assembly it "should" be ok.

the 1 " spring goes in the recessed area of the end of the final drive shaft assembly between the drive shaft and in the middle of the coupling gear... so, it should still move as planned as the Rear axel Gear case assembly is bolted drectly to the frame and cannot move at all.

Thats my thoughts anyway, it's there to allow movement in the swing arm.

It however, may, transfer the movement of the (coupling gear from sliding on the final drive shaft assembly) to the (coupling gear sliding on the drive shaft).

What do you thinK? Appreciate and value your thoughts...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Hey Joe,

I tried that part number and got no results. (Must be me!?!?) Could you be a Little more exact about what it is you are looking for. I think I can help you with this one. Are we talking about the final drive, or the drive shaft, or the U Joint and middle gear?:confused24:

Thanks,

Earl

Yup...

In the meantine, I'm going to mig weld the coupling gear to the final drive shaft assembly on the inside. .

:2cents: That is a really bad idea for so many reasons. :doh:

Find the rear pumpkin and shaft and replace it.

Well there is another country heard from. :Avatars_Gee_George:

1. 2000 650 VStar Yamaha Rear axel Gear case assembly. Part no# 5FB-46101-00-00

sorry i incorrectly typed "5FB-36101-00-00"( I fixed above...)

2. coupling gear part no# 22U-46123-00-00

They do not offer the final drive shaft assembly seperately which is the part that is splined on one end has a recessed hole for the spring and which the coupling gear slides on. Believe its because its helical on the other end must match exactly(with lash adjusted) This is also the part that has the splines worn off ...hence my wanting to weld coupling gear on...

The drive shaft is in perfect condition... (although a little rusty on the end)

Thanks skydoc_17

Edited by CaptainJoe

Skydoc_17

The pictures you have are of a drive shaft assembly. My drive shaft assembly is fine....

At the end of that drive shaft assembly there is a coupling gear (really more like a two inch tube with internal splines)

I need that and:

the part the coupling gear connects to(the final drive shaft assenbly) which is not sold seperatly from the Rear axel Gear case assembly(which is the silver 10" hub you put 90 weight oil in) the aluminum triangle piece you have pictured bolts on to the 4 studs on this hub with 4 nuts and washers.

I got these names off of the 650 yamahas service manual PDF

in the first picture its the first two parts, starting from the left hand side.

The middle pic would have shown both the damaged parts if i had turned over coupling gear currently showing the good side..

DSCN0632.JPG

Edited by CaptainJoe

Condor... Im thinking just the 650 Yamahas from 2005-2009 doesnt matter if classic/custom but ill check.

flb_78 if thats the part that the wheel goes into... The service manual is calling it a

Rear axel Gear case assembly. Personally I'd call it the left hub driveline reciever assembly and the right side the right hub brake assembly... but then what do i know...LOL

who know who makes up these names...

Ok, I see what's going on now.

The end of the pinion is worn out. You cannot replace the pinion by itself.

Cheap fix and perfectly acceptable, weld the splined coupler onto the worn out pinion. Do not weld the driveshaft to the coupler, just the pinion.

Alternative fix, final drive off a XVS1100 looks identical. Buy a used setup off ebay for more than $200.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=xvs+final+drive&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The part number you listed is for 2008 models and up (see the list of models that it fits on the boats.net site you linked). Your Avatar info says you have a 2005. If its a 2005 according to this its a different part number ( 5FB-Y4617-00-00) but its the same from 1998 to 2007. Click the part number for the assembly in the link below and it will show all the models that part number fits fits. boats.net is one of the few parts sites that does this.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2005/V%20STAR%20MIDNIGHT%20CUSTOM%20-%20XVS650T/DRIVE%20SHAFT/parts.html

RSTDdog

that part number is for a drive shaft isn't it...

I know I'm starting to get punchy also it was extreemely hot to day and i ws under a house fixing water lines...

flb_78

exactly, weld the pinion to the coupler

if i drilled two 3/8" holes 5/8" from the end of the wornout side of the coupler, I could place coupler over the worn out pinion and weld the holes shut...It would never come off.

Was thinking i could line everything back up on the bike tighting everything down and simply push back on the coupler as it would be sliding on the driveshaft and weld. then push aluminum cover over tighten 4 nuts down and I'm done.

Joe,

RSTDdog is correct, but they parts fiche looks exactly the same as the part number you posted. I don't know if there actually is a difference, but the numbers did changed in 2008. :confused24:

I still think that the final drive off a XVS1100 would be compatible. The final drives off a FJR, Venture or Vmax would not work because of the design of the pinion.

• 4 months later...

Been researching this to death:

now Yamaha is selling the Shaft drive sub assembly as a kit...

2005 650 Vstar Midnight Custom "Not the california model"

Part number: 5fb-y4617-00-00

the kit is all inclusive, from the cir clip at the front of the driveshaft, the driveshaft and all the hardware, " all the way back to and including the final drive." WTH!

Seems there has been a lot of problems due to misalignments and "I'm suspecting inadaquate machining" of these sub assemblies as why would they now include the drive shafts ??? Somethings going on... Everyone on the net is having the same problem with these driveshaft assemblies and they say the same thing The bikes are BULLETPROOF but the final drives are pure junk.

Decided not to weld as if it came apart and locked up the rear wheel it wouldn't be good...LOL

Cheapest I can get it on line appears is 656.32 from www.StadiumYamaha.com

has anyone had any business with them?

Sure would be nice if someone could purchase this wholesale as my bikes 7 yrs old and worth about $3000 max...

Signed Truly Disgusted in WV :smash2:

Oh checked out XVS1100 and they have different part numbers? they list for $610 but do not come with the drive shafts or parts also appears to be different as the spring goes into to the driveshaft and not a 2 " long spline...

Edited by CaptainJoe

• 1 year later...

:Venture:

Skydoc_17

The pictures you have are of a drive shaft assembly. My drive shaft assembly is fine....

At the end of that drive shaft assembly there is a coupling gear (really more like a two inch tube with internal splines)

I need that and:

the part the coupling gear connects to(the final drive shaft assenbly) which is not sold seperatly from the Rear axel Gear case assembly(which is the silver 10" hub you put 90 weight oil in) the aluminum triangle piece you have pictured bolts on to the 4 studs on this hub with 4 nuts and washers.

I got these names off of the 650 yamahas service manual PDF

in the first picture its the first two parts, starting from the left hand side.

The middle pic would have shown both the damaged parts if i had turned over coupling gear currently showing the good side..

Yup...You guessed it...

The 650 VStar and RSV have a lot more in common than the gas caps....

Although not the same part number, they do not sell the final drive shaft assembly seperatly(as it must mesh exactly with its counterpart in the hub). They do sell the coupling gear for 18.29.

So I Need a 650 Yamaha Rear axel Gear case assembly.

Part no# 5FB-46101-00-00 or 5FB-46101-01-00

The splines are completely gone, they were rusty, as no grease was ever put on them....

So word of warning... all you RSV and 650 owners need to pull the driveline and grease the splines on the coupling gear. This drive assembly for the 650 is over $500 new...

In the meantine, I'm going to mig weld the coupling gear to the final drive shaft assembly on the inside. this will not allow it to be dissassembled, but you cannot buy the parts seperately anyway.

I feel your pain! This is a known problem with the 650s.

I had the pinion teeth that go into the coupling strip out on my wife's 2002 VStar650 a few years ago. I was riding it when it went bad. I prayed that only the coupling teeth had failed. But, unfortunately, I found just what you did, a rusty and greasless coupling and stripped pinion teeth. Since I had purchased the bike used, I didn't know the maintenance history. Apparently, the unit had never been greased by the previous owner.

I had considered welding the unit as you mentioned and I still have the old assembly around here. But, since it is really my wife's ride, I went ahead and bought a new assembly, complete with driveshaft, for around the $500 you mentioned.

I thought the VStar 1100s would have the same set up, but when I inspected my friend's I found that they have a lube hole that allows the rear diff fluid to oil up that area.

Other than that, our 650 has been a pretty solid bike.

Everyone I have talked to with a 650 has problems with this area.

Other that this area its a bullet proof bike.

Yamaha really dropped the ball on this one and is definitely ignoring the entire issue.

mines still sitting in the garage..

will probably fix her before spring and sell her... been sitting for 2 years and that s not good for a bike...

• 4 weeks later...