New to the forum and starting a new project. I scored this beat 87' Venture and decided I was gonna chop it and see what I can come up with. I like the motor, if I can get it in good running order and want something mean and powerful, making babies cry and that sort of thing. Probably out of place in this forum but I thought what the hell. Lots of crazy crap on this bike including a car battery in the right bag connected with amplifier wiring.

Pictures of the bike:

Sounds like youre going to have fun, and i know us old farts will would love to see how youre doing so keep us posted with pics, i am sure we would all want to see how youre doing as it progresses.

Make sure you ask questions here if youre not sure something may work, old guys have some great ideas here!!!lol

Good luck!

brian

I will ask questions? Speaking of, will this motor be ok with a traditional gas tank with just a regular petcock and fuel line? No pump or anything like that?

With a traditional over the carbs tank you shouldn't run into any issues as the weight of the fuel will be sufficient to push it into the bowls. Only thing that might be a kicker is when the tank is very low and doesn't have enough head weight to push the fuel with decent force. That being said you could always use a tank that has a vacuum pump on the petcock

:2cents:

• 5 weeks later...

I have a first gen venture with destroyed fairings that i was thinking of making into a "naked" standard (of which i have never seen a satisfactory example, yet), but after seeing the o.p.'s pic of a 1st gen with the rear section removed, I am thinking that these things scream "chopper" with just the removal of a few bolts.

I think a "chopped" venture is in my future.

Can't wait to see more progress on this project, I will be watching and shamelessly stealing ideas for my own....;)

• 11 months later...
New to the forum and starting a new project. I scored this beat 87' Venture and decided I was gonna chop it and see what I can come up with. I like the motor, if I can get it in good running order and want something mean and powerful, making babies cry and that sort of thing. Probably out of place in this forum but I thought what the hell. Lots of crazy crap on this bike including a car battery in the right bag connected with amplifier wiring.

Pictures of the bike:

I will start my naked 1983 project this fall, after leaves when fall down

it realy give a bump to see your front end that way, ithelp to see where i`m goin to

Me too !!

Tweety II is going to be something as close to a 40's Indian as I can get.

It will be Max'ed of course. Already have the 1300 block, VMax heads & final drive.

Thinking an aqua color for this one, don't know why though.

Picture are of a die-cast model I bought my cousin as a house warming gift a few years ago.

Gary

A few things to consider, I've already been down the thought pattern on this.....

1) Leave the fuel tank where it is, low center for weight balance and not too high on the bike to allow "hunkerin' down" when twistin' that right wrist a lot, saves a lot of work......

2) If you're good at metal fabrication, consider building a tight "skin" to wrap around the engine and front end to create a "crotch rocket" look to it..... (don't really like the "naked" bike look...) and you could continue the sheet metal all the way back but leaving the entire back tire exposed.....

3) Work on the motor (early 83's have the most power available, you can go into the 84's with a bit more work to produce the wanted free HP), you could include valve work, carb build-up, installing a VMax carb mounting unit to tie your front-to-back cylinders together with a 2 carb feed to each, using a thumb-worked slide switch to operate....

Might as well go with the new programmable ignition control device to be able to change your "spark curve" a bit for most power.....

4) Leave the dash on there, including it and the headlight in the "skin" work, that way you can include a small windshield like a "crotch rocket" for a good speed look.....

Build it like this and I can guarentee you ability to raise up that front tire!!

Considering a full built 83-84 is capable of doing this, it'd be a heck-of-a-lot easier to do that on this one!!! :scared:

The motors are hard to kill,they can go 200k no problem,even farther.They also respond well to hot rodding it just depends on how much cash you want to throw at it. V-max cams will let it rev a little higher and produce more horse power and move the torque curve up.The V-Boost will link 2 carbs to each cylinder under hard acceleration ( your will need a wrecked V Max to get all the hardware). V Max rear end will give you lower gears.Wisco pistons used to make a big bore kit for the V Max to take it to 1600cc.Yamaha designed it to go that far but never acted on it.Barons Customs used to make a supercharger kit for the Early Royal Star(same motor).It drove off the crank on the left side.Very cool but VERRRRY Pricey if you can find one.So as they say "Money is power how fast do you want to go?"

Enjoy your project,should be a lot of fun.

+1 on leave the tank where it is,but if you change it you can mount the fuel pump anywhere,even leave it where it is just run the plumbing to it.There have been a few who have gone to a traditional type tank but they still needed the fuel pump as these can suck a lot of gas under hard accel.The current Royal Stars have a tradition tank,same engine and they use a fuel pump.