IGNORED

Grease??

Yammer Dan

Went after Honda Molybdenum? Grease yesterday. They didn't have any. What I got is "Yamalube Molybdenum Disulfide Grease" Extreme Pressure- Shear Stability- Water Resistant- in a 10 oz. squeeze tube for $6.50. For use where the "M Grease Symbol" is called out in the factory service manual. Is this same stuff as Honda Grease??? Good for shafts and such??:think: I'm thinking it is but wanted to check with the Pros.

I think it's about the amount of Moly in the grease compared to the Honda version.

I'm fairly confident the stuff you bought will be just fine.

Check after a couple of thousand miles to see whether or not the splines or joints are still well coated.

I thought it would be good to use and save us a few bucks. I'm going to use it anyway just wanted to know what parts of what it contained compared to Honda Grease. How would I find ingredients of both and percentages of them?? I pull my rear end about every tire change anyway. Less than 5k miles. They just don't last. Can't understand that.:whistling: But I keep the rear greased good. Would be nice to know I could skip pulling it once in a while.

As I said I'm going to use it anyway. Just wanted to find out if it was a way we could save a few bucks. It will take me a couple rear tires to see if it is better than what I'm using. at least a couple weeks. I'm going to have to get me a 2nd Gen so I won't have to change so many tires!!:whistling::whistling:

I found this information....And we thought we where the only ones that had to get greasy.MMMMmm

Yamaha Molybdenum Disulfide Grease

This extreme-pressure grease lubricates high loads at various speeds. Non-corrosive, it’s water-resistant, exhibiting low-friction properties that protect against wear and galling in difficult operating conditions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spline Lubricants

You need to grease your drive splines each time you change your rear tire. This is true for all shaft drive bikes, regardless of brand. This is a real issue: ask any BMW rider, or any old-time ST1100 or GL high mileage type, and you'll likely get a whole lecture about spline maintenance. The lecture may or may not be informed, but it will demonstrate real concern.

The drive splines get surprisingly hot. Additionally, there's a lot of pressure on the splines and a lot of back and forth sliding motion. Any liquid type of grease will quickly be squeezed out of the splines, and leave you with no protection. The first time you remove your rear tire, you will likely find that the factory grease has dried out completely and solidified into something which does not even remotely resemble a lubricant. Actually, if it's a good Moly grease, it's still doing its job in this form, but it's not a pretty sight.

Honda specifies a spline grease which is 60% molybdenum disulfide ("moly"). Moly is a dry lubricant which bonds to the metal surfaces, offering lubrication properties even when the parts have squeezed everything liquid out. A lot of greases now say "Moly" on the container, but you must be careful about this. Ford and Caterpillar specify moly greases for particular applications, but the requirement is for 3% moly, not even close to the 60% requirement of Honda. It's not enough to buy a moly grease, what you really want is basically dry moly in a grease-like carrier which makes it easier to apply.

These days, most BMW shops seem to be using the Honda moly paste on drive splines. I have no idea what Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Suzuki dealers are doing, but if it's anything like what most Honda dealers are doing, it's simply not acceptable. My informal survey of Honda shops, backed up by observations from several other riders, has convinced me that essentially none of them use Moly-60. They use the cheapest brake and drive shaft grease they can buy.

If you let a dealer or shop change your rear tire, be certain they are using Moly-60 paste or Krytox, or you're going to be needing new drive splines in about 50,000 miles. Guaranteed. I recommend you remove and replace your own wheels, leaving the spline cleaning and lubrication up to you. If you want nothing to do with this, then I recommend you have a talk with your favorite mechanic before tires come up, and buy your own tube of lubricant if necessary.

Moly greases with 60% + molybdenum disulfide content:

Honda Moly 60 paste, $9 for 3oz, pn 08734-0001 at your Honda dealer, or $8 from Kim Leong, STOC 3073, California Sport Touring.

LocTite Moly paste, 65% molybdenum disulfide. $20 for an 8oz tube from Enco, part #505-1197, 800-873-3626

TS-70 Moly Paste, 4 oz. ctg. $14 from TSMoly. (800) 508-5545

An alternative to moly is the new poly-flourinated lubricants made by DuPont called Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease. These chemicals are simply magic. They have almost no known solvents, are chemically inert, and don't burn at any temperature, even in a pure oxygen atmosphere. This is pretty clearly the only grease to use. See this article. Nascar mechanics have found that Krytox grease can reduce the temperature of spline joints on drive shafts by 150°. Also, this stuff lasts forever. It is, unfortunately, quite expensive.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Krytox is a phenomenal lubricant with some interesting bonding properties. It's used in computer disk drives which is about as demanding as it gets for a lubricant. It's ridiculously expensive. Wish I still worked in that industry I'd find a way to snap up some.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/accessories/500/ACC-MOLDM-GS-10-500.jpg

Molybdenum Disulfide Greasehttp://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/common/blank.gifThis extreme-pressure grease lubricates high loads at various speeds. Non-corrosive, it’s water-resistant, exhibiting low-friction properties that protect against wear and galling in difficult operating conditions.

I can't figure out how to find percentages of ingredients. The Honda Moly Grease is 60 percent Molybdenum.

Edited by Yammer Dan