IGNORED

Has anyone modified a GL1800 seat for a tall rider?

Midnight

I had a chance to ride a friends new 2010 Goldwing this past weekend. A great bike for sure.

Being 6'6" tall I found myself a bit crowded and wondered if the seat could be modified somewhat to move me up and back a few inches. Has anyone had experience with this? Can the seat be modified easily? I also wondered if the handlebars could be adjusted so they could be farther away?

My wife really liked the Wing. We both noticed that the intercom/sound system to be superior to our RSV using our JM headsets. Wind buffeting also seemed to be less. Definately quieter and smoother.

Fuel injection, ABS and heated seats and grips are also a huge plus. If I can sort out the leg room and handlebars this will be the RSV's replacement. JR

There are custom made seats available for the GW 1800, but they are NOT cheap...

Corbin, Harbin and Diamond makes custom seats to name a few...

Easy to make the stock seat higher,just add a Wal-Mart gel seat pad for $20 bucks for starters, but making the seat where you can sit farther back is a challenge due to the built in back rest section in the stock seat.

Keep in mind, that by moving YOU back in the drivers seat will rob much needed real estate from the passenger seating area...and you wife may not like that..There isn't much room for the passenger as it is on a GW.. The RSV has a whole lot more room for the passenger.

Now there's a thought... wonder if the RSV seats can be made to fit the GW...

Hum..........:whistling:....:think:

Many options for foot pegs on forward crash bars are available to accommodate the different length of legs..

Alot of the real tall riders use Mick-o-pegs but if u use mini ergo arms and switchblade kuryakyn Hwy pegs you can adjust to suit you. Risers are 2 kinds. Adjustable and non adjustable like I have. As Eck said many seat options. My favorite is Ultimate seats and they have a king rider but it takes away 1.5 inches from passenger.

As stated before there are many options out there regarding seats and many are pricey. I have a similar situation with my 1st gen and needed leg room, the option I fell into has been extremely good and less than $200. I first had the chance to test an Aqua-Air cushion, my experience has been that this thing has been medically tested and extremely effective on look hauls plus it will raise you up anywhere from 1 - 2". Next I came across a sweet deal on an Alaska Leathers XL long shear pad. This nicely covers the other cushion, kind of puts the final touches on the "Barca-lounger" effect and gave an overall rise of close to 3 or so inches which helped tremendously with the leg situation.

All the best with your modifications,

Norm