Ok, so my 88vr flunked the safety check....they said the steering bearing was toast.

I felt some "clunking" when I rode it home from Chicago and it felt a bit snakey in the corners so I figured they were probably right.

BUT...tonight I started tearing into it...put it up on the jack so the front end was free and clear. I tried the "bounce test" but the limits of travel are restricted by wires and hoses and so it won't bounce at all...it eases to the limit, along with some the creaking sound of rubber on rubber.

I grabbed the front wheel , standing in front of the bike and tried to lift and pull forward at the same time...no movement, no "clunking".

I'm thinking they flunked it because of rubber...not because of bearings!

And of course the potential 4 hours labour plus parts to replace the steering bearings.

ADDED: did more checking and I can feel a flat spot when steering is centered...could that be enough to fail a safety?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Trader
more information

I just had my steering bearings out. My steering was on the scary side - bad wandering - I mean hard to keep it in one lane wandering. Definately not confidence building! I figured the PM had tightened the bearings too much - there was no play and the wheel would stay at whatever angle it was at! Also there was a noticeable flat spot at center.

So I stocked up on new bearings and proceded to tear it apart. The bearings were STICKY and SEIZED UP with old grease.

Once I had them washed up, I couldn't see anything wrong with them :shock3: They looked new!

So I greased them and put them back in!

Now I'm style'n again :cool10:

And I've got a new set of bearings for the next bike . . . :whistling:

Oh, by the way, I must have done something wrong cause it only took about an hour.:cool10:

Although I sure could have used one or two of those fancy wrenches that dingy has . . . .:doh:

ADDED: did more checking and I can feel a flat spot when steering is centered...could that be enough to fail a safety?

Any thoughts?

Not sure what the safety test entails....

If a bike were in my shop where the steering didn't feel the same lock to lock (allowing for some tension from cables etc.) I'd recommend the bearings be replaced.

Thats nothing special.Thats what we use to open beer bottles here in Canada!!!:cool10:

And I will help you as much as possible in the endeavor, they are multi purpose tools.

And have a convenient hole in the end for a nice necklace to go through.

More Yamaha bling !!

Gary

I'd love to know how you can do that job in a little over an hour! It took me that long just to get the fairing off one side!

Could someone tell me if there is an easy way to get the fairiing off without having to tear it completely apart in little pieces?

EDIT: I figured out how to get to the bearings!...I'm debating if I should go ahead and do the progressives at this time while I have everything pulled apart.

Edited by Trader

When it comes to safeties , a lot depends on the mechanic and how the dealer wants to look at things. A flat spot when turning the bars is enough for most mechanics to refuse a safety...and they may well be right. If it's noticeable now, it could get worse quickly (Think pot hole, raised manho...oops, I mean person hole cover, etc.). Then again, I'd want to be sure there was nothing else causing the "catch" but that's not too likely. I'd say that you were looking at new bearings to pass your safety and as annoying as that may be, it's probably a good idea. Better safe than sorry, as they say.

Although it is somewhat easier to do with the faring off, it can easily be done with them on. There are some tight areas of workmanship, and if you have large grabbers, it might be impossible. But to do it in 1 hour would take 2 guys who know exactly what to do, when to do it, and don't stop for nothin', not even coffee.

Yes, put progressives in while you have the forks out, and new seals, and maybe the sliders as well.

I'd love to know how you can do that job in a little over an hour! It took me that long just to get the fairing off one side!

I cheated, I didn't take fairing off. I jacked it up so the front wheel was clear of the floor, removed the handlebars, the panel where the CB should be (if the original owner hadn't been too cheap to get one), and the CLASS controller. And maybe some other little stuff I can't remember. Took off the top triple tree and with the help of my wife, I jacked up the front end and slowly slid the whole front wheel and fork assembly down enough to get the bearings off. I didn't remove the races, I just cleaned them where they were. If I would have had to replace the races, It would have required more time to disconect things on the forks, but to just clean and repack the bearings it wasn't that bad!

It was a beautiful day for riding so I wasn't wasting time. I was back on the road the same afternoon. About an hour actual work time in the shop. :cool10:

The hardest thing to do was get the bearings tightened properly. There really isn't much room in there. It took me several tries. Proper wrenches would help a lot, although I think you need two to get the job done right.

Yes Dingy, I will order some before next time! :whistling:

PS: can I get a discount for advertising? :shock3:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Jim

I cheated, I didn't take fairing off. I jacked it up so the front wheel was clear of the floor, removed the handlebars, the panel where the CB should be (if the original owner hadn't been too cheap to get one), and the CLASS controller. And maybe some other little stuff I can't remember. Took off the top triple tree and with the help of my wife, I jacked up the front end and slowly slid the whole front wheel and fork assembly down enough to get the bearings off. I didn't remove the races, I just cleaned them where they were. If I would have had to replace the races, It would have required more time to disconect things on the forks, but to just clean and repack the bearings it wasn't that bad!

It was a beautiful day for riding so I wasn't wasting time. I was back on the road the same afternoon. About an hour actual work time in the shop. :cool10:

The hardest thing to do was get the bearings tightened properly. There really isn't much room in there. It took me several tries. Proper wrenches would help a lot, although I think you need two to get the job done right.

Yes Dingy, I will order some before next time! :whistling:

PS: can I get a discount for advertising? :shock3:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Jim

Remind me, when you wear those bearings out, I will sell you wrench at today's price and waive any possible future increases. The place I get them raises the price every other order on me.

Gary