IGNORED

Best Light Weight Enclosed Trailer to Haul Venture

birin

Any recommendations on the best light weight enclosed trailer to haul a venture?

Tried an open trailer this past year and the bike was a mess after every trip.

Need something that is fibreglass or light weight enclosed with some level of suspension. Lost a few bolts on the bike when hauling it on a trailer with no suspension. Looking at hauling the venture a few thousand miles every year behind a new 4 cylinder SUV

I purchased a Wells Cargo 6x12 because it was inexpensive. I added some paint and shelving. Since it is also my bike garage at home I installed a baseboard heater, thermostat and lighting. So far I am into it under 3k plus some sweat equity. Best of luck to you in finding what you want.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa
added picture

• 3 weeks later...

It is not so easy as it sounds. First I have the front wheel stand from Harbor Freight. That thing is just great. I added additional tie down rings to the floor. They are inexpensive and easy to screw on. I use soft straps so as not to mark anything with hooks.

The Rear. If you attach to the rear passengers hand holds they will bend. It can be done but pressure must be minimal. Or put tie downs in the wall and go straight out. I attach to the frame behind and below the saddlebags. It really doesn't take a lot to keep the rear end in place.

The Front. Finding a good spot that will keep the shocks loaded is difficult. Too much pressure can cause the handlebars to move. Also the strap can rub on the fairings or other plastic. I use two straps in front for each side. One to hold down and one to pull foreword and hold the bike in the stand. I have used the handlebar near the center and padded the plastic but my bar did move a little. I also attach a strap near the axle to a tie down foreword of the stand. This holds the bike into the stand. There are some other posts that have some good ideas for tie places on the bike.

All in all it is fairly easy after you get set up. It just takes me a couple of minutes. The stand is the key.

Mike

P.S. The piece of throw carpet is a bad idea. It slips when backing out.

Food for thought, but your 4 cyl SUV most likely has a tow rating of only 2000 lbs. That means the trailer, the hitch, cargo, and anything inside the vehicle, including passengers. If you have a front wheel drive based suv, then chances are you are going to have problems. The 4cyl suv's are typically mini van based.

I have a 6cyl 3 liter 2007 Escape and I used it to pull a 12 by 6 Continental Cargo trailer to haul my G1 85 Venture around and it also worked great as my garage. My Escape pulled my trailer and Bike fairly well on flat land but when i was going thru steep inclines or into stiff winds the gas mileage and performance sucked! The Continenetal Cargo 12 by 6 only weighed about 1200 lbs and with the bike on it it was a around 2000lbs. I think your 4 cyl would have trouble pulling this setup as my 6 grunted sometime.

Brian

I have a 6cyl 3 liter 2007 Escape and I used it to pull a 12 by 6 Continental Cargo trailer to haul my G1 85 Venture around and it also worked great as my garage. My Escape pulled my trailer and Bike fairly well on flat land but when i was going thru steep inclines or into stiff winds the gas mileage and performance sucked! The Continenetal Cargo 12 by 6 only weighed about 1200 lbs and with the bike on it it was a around 2000lbs. I think your 4 cyl would have trouble pulling this setup as my 6 grunted sometime.

Brian

The problem with your escape is that the trans is a CD4E, same trans tat was in the contour and mazda 626. Typical failure rate is around 70k. That does not mean you will only get that mileage, but you cannot change your filter for one, and 2, that trans is one of the worst on the market. the 2-3 clutch drum is a 1 piece 2 sided drum made from stamped steel. I would not recommend towing a mini bike.

Please take no offense as I am not trashing your vehicle.