IGNORED

RSV Tach issues

So my Drag Specialties tach bit the dust on the last trip.. boo..

Right now, the dial light works.. when you turn the ignition to ON, the dial will calibrate as its supposed to (swing all the way to the right and then reset to 0).. but it won't read the RPM what so ever.. I just pulled the tank and checked my connections and everything is in order but still no go. The tach failed while riding where I noticed it bouncing a bit and then drop to zero.. then a few minutes later bounce up to what would seem to be the proper RPM and then back to zero where it's been ever since. The bike runs fine since then, not noticing any changes etc.

So if this is a dead tach, and if I don't want to go with a 2.5 inch Drag Specialties tach again, what other options do I have that will work out of the box for this bike of ours? A smaller dial (2 inches) would suit me fine.. Though a dead tach is not a show stopper for me, I kind of like having one for various reasons.. (no, not OCD or anything.. ;)

Any recommendations?

PO put a Barons on my 03. I like it. Only issue is the 7 color display defaults to red. There is a push button to select one of the other colors. One is green/amber, close to the dash color. Wish there was a way to default to green but I don't think it's possible.

PO put a Barons on my 03. I like it. Only issue is the 7 color display defaults to red. There is a push button to select one of the other colors. One is green/amber, close to the dash color. Wish there was a way to default to green but I don't think it's possible.

Thanks M8.. got a pic to show what it looks like? Saw their tachs on their site but not sure how best it would mount on our bikes..

I saw their replacement tach (guts) that sorta looks like what I have but I'd like to see the back end of it to see if it could be a bare mount setup.. certainly cheaper..

Cheers

The Baron's I have mounts on the master brake cylinder for the front brake. Its goin on six years old now and works fine.

Thanks M8.. I'd seen those and for me they looked kinda 'out there' too much.. right size, but not right spot, ya know?

Cheers

I had an original Barons tach when they 1st starting selling them (original bike owner had it on the scoot when I bought the bike). It took a nose dive this year too. Found one of the 7 color ones used for $100 and has been working great. Yes it defaults to red even if you change the color, shut it off and turn it back on, it goes right back to red. Oh well, I really don't see the red in the daylight anyway.

The guts you are referring to is 3" I believe. I asked them about a resevior mount like what I and buddyrich has and they just said it was too big for that. Just my opinion but it is the best place to put it. I don't think it sticks out that far.

See if you can take your tach apart. I have read at least 1 thread about how someone else was having issues. They took it apart and found a broken wire.

Doesn't seem like I have much to lose then, seeing how it's a dead tach anyway... Good possibility its a dead wire..

Erhm I had a quick look at the tach and couldn't see a way to getting it open to check for a broken wire inside.. How does one open the darn thing? I re-wired the whole thing just in case but same results. Would love to have a peek inside the tach..

Edited by Seaking