IGNORED

new to me 88 failed Safety check!

Trader

The Dealer says I need steering head bearings which is over 4 hours labour at $85 per hour plus the kit.:mo money:

The bike only has 65,000 so I"m wondering if perhaps they are just loose.

I'm going to look into that this afternoon.

But if I need some work on it........I've got Dingy's wrench

But I need a "how to".

I found a tutorial for 2nd Gen by Freebird...but couldn't find anything on a 1st Gen (mkII)

....could anyone let me know if there is a how to on REPLACING or Greasing the steering bearings?

Here is the 86-93 service manual cut on adjusting the steering head bearings. Same procedure for the MKI's, but the MKII manual has a better write up on doing it.

1st one is adjusting bearings.

2nd one is replacing bearings.

I don't think you could tell if the bearings were bad without pulling upper bearing out and inspecting it. They would have to be awful bad before you could get a feel for the race being indented. I did buy a parts bike that had less than 30k on it and when I tore it down the upper bearing was bad.

I had ordered a set for mine and when I got into it they didn't need replaced, sold them to a member here already though.

Gary

To be fair to the dealer, if they are going to take the shop time to tear into the bearings to inspect them, it isn't much more to replace them. I would expect they would replace them.

However, it you are doing this at home, tear it down, inspect, lube, and reinstall.

RR

Been there Steve. In fact, my upper bearing was so dry it caused the bike to sort of wander down the road. You can get at the top bearing without removing your forks and major surgery (maybe a half hour). In my case, I didn't have new bearings to install so I just cleaned and repacked the top bearing. That was two years ago and my steering has been great since then. However, I hope to replace both bearing next week, before I leave for the west coast. While I am not a mechanic, I suspect the top bearing is more vulnerable to drying out and causing problems, but maybe that is not the case. Also, i like the idea of installing a zerk fitting in the steering column that is also described in this great forum.