Has any put Baker Air Wings on their 1st gen? I got upper, mid, and lower ones but the two upper ones you have to drill into the fairing. No I' m not crazy about doing this. I wondering if anyone has had any problems with the fairing cracking eventually from the drilling? Do you like them?

Since the fairing is made from abs you could to the local plastics store and buy a small piece of ABS. Cut a small piece. If the back of the fairing where you want to drill the holes is not flat. You can heat the abs to 260 and hold it in place so it forms to the back. Then just get some ABS glue from Home Depot and glue it on. now drill the hole and its reinforced already. Just be sure you have clearance on the back side for the extra thickness.

That's what I would do anyway.

I have em on my bike. No issues..but I do dread the day I drop my ol'girl. That area will take a bad hit for sure. They are well worth it to have though.

Unfortunately, I did drop my 89 twice very hard. I had some minor fairing damage that I was able to glue back together. The good news is that there was no damage to the fairing where the airwings were attached even though the impact destroyed one of the airwings and bent the brackets. The fairing must be tough there.

Iowa Guy

They might depending how long legged your are or if the really nice seat you just bought pushes you forward too much!

Normal I am...5'10 ish with the standard seat..no issues. But I did bang the things the first little while getting used to the bike. Then again I also got pant legs caught in highway pegs and banged back of legs on passenger rests too. Not any more.

Jack

Did you say 35" inseam?! You must be all legs and no body then...lol. My inseam is only 31-32".

Jimbob....the fairing is fairly strong in that area...although, like I mentioned earlier, I do worry about dropping the bike. But, they are worth it...in the cool weather they take most of the wind off the knees..that means alot to us who are getting sensitive in the joints! In the warm weather they are great for funnelling moving air over the legs and cooling things down.

Thanks Rick. That'll help a bunch when I get around to mounting them. I wonder tho.. Will the wings get in the way when trying to use the highway pegs up front?? Anybody??

I only remount the middle airwings in really cold weather which is almost here when I don't feel like using the hiway pegs anyway because the middle ones are definately in my way with a 32 in inseam.

Iowa Guy

Ok Jack...where, in relation to that portion of the fairing do your shins sit? If they are almost touching the fairing then you most likely will have a problem...at least in the location mine are anyway.

Yeah, the knees are pretty close. But....I'm on a diet and loosing inches. The more I loose the more room I seem to have. 30 pounds so far!!... but still a long way to go.... So maybe there's hope for the wings...and me yet...:)

Man Jack how do fit on these bikes Im 6'2" and the foot position isnt the best for me I could use the seat a couple of inches higher(Gold wing much worse with the motor sticking out the sides). I can ride the bike without much chill problem to about 40 degrees. Havent tried lower then that. Worry bout black ice on some roads I take to work at 5 am when the temps are in the 30-36 range. I got all the sets of airwings feet which I like and come off easy. Maybe I wont put the upper and middle ones on. Still debating this in my head. Maybe SEAFOAM will cure it. :detective:

Jack

That seat you sold me pushed me to where my knees were touching the pouches. When I straightened out the legs to put my feet on my highway bars I banged my shins on the bottom of the wing. It was not good.

Maybe you need to wait until someone with them lets you sit on their bike to check it out.

I should have mine when I get to Colorado....well should..ya never know.

Man Jack how do fit on these bikes Im 6'2" and the foot position isnt the best for me I could use the seat a couple of inches higher(Gold wing much worse with the motor sticking out the sides). I can ride the bike without much chill problem to about 40 degrees. Havent tried lower then that. Worry bout black ice on some roads I take to work at 5 am when the temps are in the 30-36 range. I got all the sets of airwings feet which I like and come off easy. Maybe I wont put the upper and middle ones on. Still debating this in my head. Maybe SEAFOAM will cure it. :detective:

It took some fiddling with the foot pegs and pedals before I finally found something that was comfortable. The seat I have for my main '83 was built by a local and the padding is very soft. It allows me to scoot back into the candle a little further than with a stock seat. When I ride #2 with a stock it's a little tighter. But that's why I need those highway pegs on long trips. They can stuff me into an airplane seat, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit in one position for a long time on my scoot....!!:) :)