Im just kicking around the idea of removing the radio and tape deck on my 91 vr. Is it possible to replace these and still keep the cb. I use my cb regularly and am not currently happy with the sound from my stock radio, It is good with the headset but without not so much. i have replaced the stock speakers and tis made a bit of a difference but not too much.

any idea will be apreciated

David

Yah! What Squid said! You can remove the tuner controller and tape deck but not the intercom/radio amp controller. You could then wire the radio unit to the speakers and then have the CB and intercom go thru the headsets with some modifications...

This is a project I am currently working on.

I decided against trying to source the bits needed to make the installed equipment work. Here is the current situation:

Radio works, so does auto-volume

Speakers are blown and need replacing.

CB works

Intercom likely works, not tested yet.

I am missing the headsets and the rear controller. The cost of these items is high, very high and even if I get them, and even if they work, I am still limited trying to interface new equipment to 25 year old electronics.

So I am replacing the heart of the system with an Autocom Intercom.

This will let me add phone, music, satellite radio and GPS to the system, and retain the original radio. I should be able to also interface the CB with the Autocom, but that might be a bit more tricky.

I can easily use our FRS radios though.

The autocom will handle the auto volume and the whole installation will look authentic.