IGNORED

Questions on front rotors

1988 Venture Royale. Two questions:

1. The 1200 Mk I (83, 84, 85) Venture rotors. Will these fit my 1988 VR Mk II? I suspect not, but please let me know for sure.

2. Are the left and the right rotors on the Mk II (86-93) VR interchangeable?

Thanks in advance.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I cross-referenced the MKI, MKII, Gen2 and Vmax last year. The MKI front discs are 298mm versus 282mm on the MKII. The front discs are both the same diameter. Attached is the cross-reference pdf for your files.

:080402gudl_prv:

The MKI rotors are a different diameter than the MKII rotors so they will not fit to match the calipers and pad placement.

That is one of the mods we have been doing on the MKI's is changing out the stock forks, or at least the lower legs, so we can swap out the larger rotors and better calipers for more stopping power.

As far as the MKII's being interchangable side to side ...... don't know that answer. I think it's been done, but somebody should be able to help with that.

Mike

The MKI VR rotors are no longer being manufactured by Yamaha. The aftermarket EBC Rotors are no longer being offered by EBC as well. The LEFT Side MKII VR Rotor is NO longer available as a new part from Yamaha as of this writing. The right rotor can be mounted on the left side, but the "Venting Slots" would run in the opposite direction. (The Rotors were originally a right and left hand due to the slots) The aftermarket EBC rotors are no longer being manufactured by EBC as well. At this point, Used rotors would be the only option, unless you find a dealer or parts house with some on the shelf.:confused24:

Earl

The right rotor can be mounted on the left side, but the "Venting Slots" would run in the opposite direction. (The Rotors were originally a right and left hand due to the slots)

Earl

Why can't a right rotor be mounted on the left side and keep the slot orientation? What is the difference between them.

These are not offset rotors like the MKII rear. The service manual does note the R & L designation though in the brake section.

Just looked at front MKII rotor I put on rear wheel of my bike and I think it is a left rotor on the right side. Mounts up and centers perfectly.

Gary

Funny thing, the EBC rotors, although they were listed left and right, had the same part number. Yes, you should be able to mount the MK2 rotors on either side and still keep the slot orientation as Dingy mentioned.

Earl, thanks for the heads up, I have one brand new EBC for the project bike but need another for it. I guess I better do some searching if I want 2 new rotors on it...

Funny thing, the EBC rotors, although they were listed left and right, had the same part number. Yes, you should be able to mount the MK2 rotors on either side and still keep the slot orientation as Dingy mentioned.

Oh, Bobby, you mentioned this a couple of months ago when I was searching for a rotor for my VMax rear wheel project. I ended up getting one from digitaldemise (ebay name). They said they were getting out of the salvage business, BTW.

Gary

I have an 87 and I did mount the left on right by moving it over still facing the front which keeps the venting the same rotation. Slight difference in thickness(raised section in center section of rotor--outside on left and outside on right) when mounted but caliper and shoes adjusted no problems.No problems in breaking!