IGNORED

Side stand reminder

Venturous Randy

I again want to remind everyone to check the play in their side stand.

When changing the oil on Rocket's 86, out of habit, I checked the side stand and there was at least an inch play at the end of the side stand tip. When I removed the side stand, the forks were splayed open and the bolt was bent. I was able to use my hydraulic press to bend the fork tips back parallel and also straighten the bolt. With the side stand now fitting the frame mount just snug enough to not bind, I pulled the side stand off and checked the seating of the bolt. The shoulder of the bolt seated with a gap under the head of the bolt so I used a thin washer so the bolt seated at the shoulder and the nut at the same time. I cleaned everything and reassembled and tightened the bolt to the point it was almost binding and then tightened the nut. I was able to get it to the point there may have been an eighth inch play at the tip of the side stand without any binding.

When we did his 83, there was about the same amount of play, but the bolt was not bent, but there was a slight step worn on the side of the bolt and the forks on the side stand were splayed about the same. Again did the washer trick and got about an eighth inch play when tightened back in place.

I am really glad I was able to fix this as his bike has a lot of lean on the side stand and with the trailer hooked up, it would have been a disaster to encounter a broken side stand/bolt. Rocket should pick up another side stand bolt, but for now I believe he is good to go as long at he monitors the looseness.

Again, for those of you that have never had you side stand fail, and it will if you let it get loose enough, you can hardly imagine how big of a problem it can be.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Hey Randy,

It is funny that you mentioned this, I have had 2 First Gens. at the shop in the last week with broken side stand bolts. One VR.ORG owner from WV stopped by with a broken side stand bolt, (and a broken mirror when the bolt failed and threw his bike to the pavement!) I keep those bolts in stock, and I have a good used mirror, so he was on his way in short order. The other bike was a local owner, not a member of VR.ORG, and I had to trailer his bike to the shop with a broken mirror, a cracked fairing and cracked radio mounting plate, bent left side handle bar, and the radio controller on the left handle bar had snapped off! His bike is still here waiting on new parts to arrive just because of one kick stand bolt!

I keep the bolts in stock, although the nuts are currently on backorder. I hope to have them next week. Your old nut can be reused, but it is very important to replace the old, worn, kickstand bolt to avoid the damage caused by a bolt failure and the bike crashing to the pavement.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3330&title=first-gengenuine-yamaha-kick-stand-bolt-21&cat=22

It's not important where you get the new bolt from, it is very important the you check out the condition of your kick stand bolt, and replace it before you spend a bunch of money.

Randy, this was a VERY timely Post, as we are all taking advantage of the good weather this time of the year.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Below is a thread I started last year and a seemingly permanent fix (maybe) for the side stand bolt, at least on the 1st gens. I don't think this will work on the 2nd gens. Different bolt P/N in parts fiche.

Takes a little work to get done, but it is a better overall solution. The Yamaha design is inherently weak with the shoulder style bolt.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48342

Gary

A several years ago a friend of mine decided to adjust his side stand. Later he was taking his girlfriend for a ride and the side stand swung down, he went into a left turn at fairly low speed and the stand dug in and flipped the bike into the air. She survived but he was killed. I forget the make of the bike.

Only the second time I ever dumped a bike was when the sidestand on my '85 broke. Wasn't the bolt either, it was one of the "tangs" (if I can call them that). Had to buy a new sidestand (never heard of this site at the time).

• 1 year later...