IGNORED

Electrical Issues TCI Bad Ground

Riding to work I have been having an issue with the am side of radio not working sometimes. But today a bigger problem the whole dash shuts off the bike will run but like crap no acceleration hit a pot hole dash lights up bike runs fine. I can start it when dash is out and idle but give it throttle it dies. Now what I have noticed is that the clock is at the right time when it reappears I dont have to reset it. My cruise also will not engage. My rear brake will not activate the brake light either. I started cleaning fuses then the bike started but hit another bump crap running dash out. Any ideas? Bad ground? Bad TCI? Bad or corroded fuses?

Edited by CrazyHorse

For that many unrelated tings to go wacky at the same time my guess would be a bad ground somewhere.

Start by cleaning the ground at the battery and the the other end of the cable where it connects to the engine.

At the neg battery terminal there is another smaller wire coming out of there, it goes to a small connector and then to another ground, check that ground point also.

Those are the easy things to check.

Edited by Flyinfool

I guess Im a little misleading. The rear brake not activating brake light and am radio going in and out and cruise control not activating have been issues for awhile. The dash going out and crappy running started today and or shutting off happened today. Bumps seem to have effect on the dash going out and running. Im going to check those grounds.

This may be an off the wall thing to check, look at the plug from the stator to the wiring harness. It's a 3 pin plug, 2 pins over 1 pin configuration. Also look at the rectifier to harness plug, 6 pin plug 2 x 3 configuration.

I just found something tonight at Radio Shack that could help clean connectors some. It is an Abrasive Fiberglass Pen. It has a brush that comes out the tip that is small enough to get into the male pin side of a connector and clean contacts. Can't get into female side though. I had these when I worked on railroad and they were handy to clean contacts.

$7

Gary

There are a couple of ground wires that are on the left side of the frame for the wiring harness.

They are located near where the side fairing frame bolts to the main frame and where the throttle cables have that black plastic hookup to the cruise control near the coils...

There are a couple of ground wires that are on the left side of the frame for the wiring harness.

They are located near where the side fairing frame bolts to the main frame and where the throttle cables have that black plastic hookup to the cruise control near the coils...

Ill have to check those too. I have alot of electrical issues fan stopped, no cruise, radio in and out, dash out, rear brake doesnt activate brake light, idles but runs like crap, give it gas it dies. If the dash comes back bike runs ok. I m going to make double sure on all of the grounds.