IGNORED

Steering head adjustment

While prepping the bike for Cody I noticed that the steering was very loose. Push the bars from the center and they would bounce off the stop 2-3 inches. I didn't feel any play but the bounce concerns me. How much of a hassel and time does it take to adjust the steering head? If it's a bunch I'll wait until getting back from Cody.

Look for a tech tip by v7goose on doing it by tapping both the tightening nuts with a large screwdriver. Takes about 20 minutes or so maybe more the 1st time.

Its relatively easy.

Ya should'a been at Don's MD. Goose ran a clinic on how to do it.

I'm not sure that you have a problem. The fact that they bounced off the stop two or three inches does not mean that they are loose. that is perfectly normal. If they hit the stops and don't bounce back at all, they are very likely too tight. The trick is to swing it gently and let it hit the stops. It should bounce off and then come to a smooth stop and NOT sway back and forth.

I'm not sure that you have a problem. The fact that they bounced off the stop two or three inches does not mean that they are loose. that is perfectly normal. If they hit the stops and don't bounce back at all, they are very likely too tight. The trick is to swing it gently and let it hit the stops. It should bounce off and then come to a smooth stop and NOT sway back and forth.

Ok, I'll double check.... Even if you make it look so easy, if I don't need to do it at all, it's a plus... BTW, Thanks for that write up. :thumbsup2:

OK just double checked. Here's what I'm finding. Very hard to keep the bar centered, and when I do and breathe on them they starting heading for the stops. After hitting the stops they bounce off about 2" and then settle back down onto the stops... Only one bounce, but a pretty good one. On the '83 I had them adjusted so they would fall off center with a gentle nudge and go to the stops... no bounce. That's why I felt these needed a little snugging up... So whatcha think??

I agree then that they are loose. If they bounce off the stops and then return to the stops. I set them so that they bounce off the stops and then come to a stop, not return to the stops.

Thanks for the help Don. It's on the list for 'maintenence morning' in the AM. Doing it now would cut into my siesta time.... :)

I did mine as Freebird said when I had my RSV and it made a world of difference...It doesnt take much to get it right,best I remember it was maybe 1/8 of inch but do as the write up says and you will be a happy man.

Jack,

You bought one of my wrenches last year.

Don't resort to doing it the amateur way and beating on your motorcycle with a hammer & screwdriver.

Say it ain't so, you have the tool !! Unless you lost it, in which case I have a replacement.

1st gen or 2nd ?

Gary

I have a wobble (not all the time) slowing down to a stop. I did the stering head check and found going to the left was just right. However going to the right was stiff and had to use a few taps to hit the stops. Is there a way to ajusts only one side?? Or, could my bearings be bad?? Thanks

Jack,

Don't resort to doing it the amateur way and beating on your motorcycle with a hammer & screwdriver.

Say it ain't so, you have the tool !! Unless you lost it, in which case I have a replacement.

1st gen or 2nd ?

Gary

Gary, I bought one from you also, have not used it,,,yet.

Question: to use your wrench instead of the screwdriver/hammer method, what do you have to remove to get to the steering head nut? Is it just as simple as the screwdriver method or do you have to start pulling stuff?

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Jack,

1st gen or 2nd ?

Gary

I did Gary... and I don't know what I did with it??? Besides according to Don's write up it's not all that easy to get to the jam nuts, and tapping at them a little is more along my time constraints. Leaving for Cody in 7 days, and still have maintence to do. Bled the brakes and clutch this AM. The brake fluid was a little discolored, but when I popped off the top of the clutch reserve it was about one stage under 'tar'. I've never run into one that black. I don't think it had ever been bled and it's a '99, and I hate to think what the inside of the slave looks like... I'll probably 'tap' on the nuts tomorrow in the AM. Sorry... Now if I ever repack the steering head bearings I'll definately find that wrench... :)

:cody

Gary, I bought one from you also, have not used it,,,yet.

Question: to use your wrench instead of the screwdriver/hammer method, what do you have to remove to get to the steering head nut? Is it just as simple as the screwdriver method or do you have to start pulling stuff?

Thanks, Mike G in SC

I really don't know what it would take to do the work on an RSV. Other than what the service manual shows.

The cut attached is from the manual for the 13TFL model. Looks fairly easy, but I have never done it to a 2nd gen bike.

Gary

There are two nuts, both identical AFAIK. The bottom nut is the put-tension-on-the-bearing nut, the top one is just to keep the bottom one from drifting. There is also a metal washer thing with metal bands that sit into recesses in the two nuts. Because of this, the two nuts must be aligned with each other more or less precisely.

With the quick adjustment most of us use, both nuts are turned together. This probably explains why it loosens up again within a few thousand miles. The involved way to do it requires disassembly of the top bridge. You can leave the forks in place, but the top bridge has to be loosened and removed completely. That probably requires a good bit of faring disassembly, too. Definitely, the handlebars have to come off.

Once you get top access to the stearing had bearing nuts, you remove the top one and torque the tension nut to the specified torque, whatever that number is. If the bearings are in good shape, then that should put the correct amount of drag on the bearings. Personally, I like the bearings a little tighter than spec, and have found that there's a bit of gray area to play with, depending on how you like yours.

Then, put the locknut assy back on, reassemble, test ride. \\\

That's the best I can recall from doing it on a Roadstar a few years ago.

I really don't know what it would take to do the work on an RSV. Other than what the service manual shows.

The cut attached is from the manual for the 13TFL model. Looks fairly easy, but I have never done it to a 2nd gen bike.

Gary

Removing a half full tank, cowling, bars, etc. Time consuming and a PITA. Don's strawberry shortcut is a lot easier and quicker.

You just have to put the bike on a stand so that the front wheel is off the ground. Center the handlebars and lightly tap it to one side. If goes to the stop and bounces then it's too loose. Mine bounced two or three times. Goose tightened it to where it went to the stop and settled in nicely. Now that I've seen it done, I realize that it's an easy procedure.

You just have to put the bike on a stand so that the front wheel is off the ground. Center the handlebars and lightly tap it to one side. If goes to the stop and bounces then it's too loose. Mine bounced two or three times. Goose tightened it to where it went to the stop and settled in nicely. Now that I've seen it done, I realize that it's an easy procedure.

Uh Oh...Methinks mine is a tad loose then...