IGNORED

Oh hell, Now what?

Riding home from a 170 mile ride this afternoon, the radio started cutting out, as I hit the back brakes. I made it to a gas station, filled up and no start.

so I checked all the wiring, No lose battery bolts, nothing grounded that i can tell. and the battery is some what new.

Throw some Idea's at me, please.

This is exactly what happened when the rectifier plug burned up on my 1st gen. The radio would cut out when I used the brakes, eventually the ignition system shut down when I made a full stop. Of course it wouldn't start again either (dead battery). Interestingly the CB was quite happy with the low voltage, so I was able to radio the others in the group.

I'd check out the charging system.

The suggestions are all good but don't rule out a bad battery. You say that it's not very old but there have been MANY cases of even new batteries that have a problem. The symptoms that you describe sound very much like a discharged battery. The radio cutting out was a good first signal as mine did the same thing when my last battery failed. I would have it load tested before doing anything else.

Don't start with the rectifier. My example was just to point out that the symptoms are consistent with ANY charging system failure.

Fully charge the battery and have it load tested. Assuming it's ok start the motorcycle and use a volt meter to check the charging system voltage. Rev the engine a bit and you should see pretty close to 14 volts on the meter.

If you're not seeing charging voltage then it is time to start looking for faults in the charging system. As Bob pointed out, it's still under warranty. I'd let the dealer find the problem.

BPad,

Keep in mind the battery is not a warranty item (the battery itself may have a warranty, but it is not included as part of the Yamaha warranty). If the dealer finds it is a bad battery, you will likely be charged for the diagnostics along with the replacement battery. Same applied with brakes, clutch, and tires. These are considered wear items.

Wish you lived closer. I have an extra battery we could throw in there to check it out.

Good luck and keep us informed of your results.

RR

I'm sorry cause this has noting to do with the post but I gotta ask...It's driving me nuts...

The maps of the USA some posters have with the diff colors...What's the meaning???

States we have riden to on our motorcycles. I need to update mine.

RR

PS. Updated

Edited by RedRider
Updated map in signature

Some interesting replies.

Some years ago I had a Landrover Discovery. The first symptom of the regulator failing was that the radio would shut off.

The radio had "over-voltage" protection and shut off at around 17V. When I got around to measuring the voltage at the battery it was showing 18V.

It was, fortunately, a cheap fix. Well it was cheap when I looked around. UKP 100 from an alternator shop, UKP 700 from Landrover :)

That's why we love the Dealers so.

Before starting: 12.895

Idle 13.895 cold (choke out)

fast idle 13.87

Idle 13.850 ( choke in)

Idle with back brake on 13.465 (5 brake lights)

Battery charged over night on trickle

Still sounds like a bad battery. I would have it tested at your local automobile parts house. "the battery is some what new" How old is the battery ?

Fuzzy

Bike going in Tomorrow morning. I'll have them test load the battery, and check the stator & regulator.

spoke to the service tech, yep all under warranty.:cool10:

God,

Please let them have parts for my Bike. I've Planed to leave this Sunday morning. for da Mountains.

No word yet for the bike shop. Getting worried.

the wife leaves Sunday for her vacation ( yep separate vacations) you guys Otto try is sometimes. If I don't get my bike back by Wednesday. I'll never make it up there in time.

been following friends riding to Denver Co. on face book, nothing but rain. the left 4 days ago, and only make it to Greenville Ms.

fwiw, I was advised by a co-worker speaking byexperience to be careful when washing the bike. If one gets carried out hosing down the bike, water can get in several electrical plugs and into every 'nooks and crannies'. If the water within any electrical plug has not totally dried off and you start the bike, it may cause an unexpected short and their goes your charging system going down hill.

As much as possible, I try to be careful with water during a bike wash. If I can help it, no water...simply a wide down polisher will do.

BrakePad, I hope you can get a clear answer from your shop dealer regarding the status of your bike.

Regards

fwiw, I was advised by a co-worker speaking byexperience to be careful when washing the bike. If one gets carried out hosing down the bike, water can get in several electrical plugs and into every 'nooks and crannies'. If the water within any electrical plug has not totally dried off and you start the bike, it may cause an unexpected short and their goes your charging system going down hill.

As much as possible, I try to be careful with water during a bike wash. If I can help it, no water...simply a wide down polisher will do.

BrakePad, I hope you can get a clear answer from your shop dealer regarding the status of your bike.

Regards

Hope you never get stuck riding in the rain then :confused24:

got an e-mail tonight, they haven't looked at it yet.

I can't believe they haven't even looked at it yet!!!!

I guess that just goes to prove that I will never be spending any money at Broward Motor Sports.

Didn't they know that you were going to leave on a trip tomorrow?

I guess I could always give you my bike for the trip, but it wouldn't match that pretty blue trailer.

I rode in the rain both days. But this has to been something pinching. the bike was fine, all the way up to West palm beach, and after getting off the highway. the radio starting acking up., so I think something is grounding out.