IGNORED

Trike MPG and Tire Wear

alwrmcusn

I am considering having my 2009 Venture "triked" next year (Hannigan). I have done a bit of research and price checking and I have some questions.

1. I currently average about 45 MPG with 2 up and normal legal speeds. What sort of mileage am I likely to get after the conversion?

2. My OEM front tire was still fairly good at 15K, what sort of tire life should I expect after the conversion. I also heard/read that using a rear tire installed to rotate in the opposite direction would extend the front tire life. The explanation was that it had something to do with the belts/plies compressions (beyond my understanding however).

It will drop to about 30 mpg ( get the extra tank ) if you don't like to stop.

I do not mind it as I like to get off the bike after about 150 miles

or so anyways.

I used a rear tire , but did not rotate it. (just my thing)

A "normal" front tire will wear pretty fast do to the scrapping

as the tire as it will not roll anymore.

I love my conversion.

Jeff

I converted my RSV in '08 with a Hannigan Kit, and I enjoy it. As a two wheel I was getting 45 to 47 mpg depending on how I rode. I now get 32 to 35 mpg. ( I have to agree with Jeff, I like to get off about every 150 miles or so.) I have over 10K on my front tire and still have 2 to 3K left on it. It depends on the roads that you travel. Down here in Florida you have a lot of shell in the pavement on some roads. Tire wear is not so good.

When you have it triked besure to have the front raked at least 4 degrees. You'll have better turning and steering. I also put 1 1/2 inch risers on the bars, it helped in turning and I wasn't pushing down on the bars.

Ken

Yep what they all said above.

Raked trees for easier smoother steering.

Auxiliary fuel tank is good whether you like stopping sooner or not. Riding with others will allow you to stop when they do and them not when you have to. Besides on a trip you can space your fuel/break stops better too. Milage varies a lot depending on speeds being ridden and whether you tow a trailer. I've gotten everything between 22 mpg towing at 75mph to low 30's depending on speeds & loads. Thus another good reason for extra fuel capicity. I've got a 3 1/5 gal tank and it does make a world of difference having it on board.

I too use a rear tire up front and mounted in the correct rotation. My reasons were for the tire to shed water better and being that the rear brakes do 90% of the stopping now the thread wrapping isn't as critical in my mind. Currently I have 15 k on a rear Dunlop and still lots of thread left, no cupping yet either. Milages will differ depending on the areas you will ride. I'm pretty much in flat land country here so aren't getting into twisties too much.

Once you get the trike and have become one with it you be wondering why it took so long to decide to convert. Doesn't take much time either to become proficent riding them.

Larry

Thanks for the replies from everyone. You pretty much confirmed what I have found searching around the various forums.

JFI...the conversion I have in mind does include the extra fuel tank and the full weight bearing boards. But I have a couple of questions that I forgot to ask...

1. Does the extra fuel tank kick in automatically or do you need to manually do something to utilize it?

2. Would an auto tire on the front be safe and worthwhile? Safety would be my primary choice, longevity would be secondary. Is there even an auto tire that can normally be found for use on the front?

I looked into an auto tire and there are none that will fit .

I switched to a (rear) Dunlop the rubber is harder and is working great..

As far as the aux tank I would also be interested in if it does switch

auto or not. still not sure if I am going to add on yet or not. as I said

I like getting off the bike and stretching a bit. BUT sometimes having that

extra fuel would make one not worry so much if there were no stations

around for a long time.

The aux tank is manual, on and off. I turn mine on at 1 or 2 bars on the dash, and it will fill to the bottom of the neck in about 8 to 10 miles. Some times I can smell gas at the finish if I don't wait till the bottom 2 bars. Don't switch the pit-cock back to main while it is pumping.

On my auxiliary tank set up I added an inline fuel filter, electric fuel pump starting at the tank and then under the seat added a "Y" connector to the line going to the carbs. Also I installed a relay so that when I have the auxilary tank on the power is killed for the main tank. Flip that switch off and power is applies to the main. Killing power to the main fuel pump will keep you from feeding the carbs with both tanks. And no back filling either of them.

What I like to do is run the fuel completely out of the auxilary tank and then switch to the main. When the auxilary tank is on the fuel gauge will read whatever is in the main tank.

Larry

• 1 month later...

Getting closer to the decision point (Sorry George) on the trike. I just talked with the local installer shop and got this information:

1. He suggested I NOT get the added fuel tank. Reason being the fuel must be used regularly or else it (ethanol!!) will contaminate the rest of the fuel if left in the add-on tank too long and then pumped forward.

.....That makes sense to me and saves a chunk of $$

2. He suggested that I might reconsider the foot fairings, but only because they are so easily scratched if you're not careful when you mount/dismount.

.....That also makes sense and saves a chunk of $$

The installer/dealer said my mileage would probably drop from my current 45-46mpg to about 40-42. From what I've researched that sounds rather optimistic.

I then called my Yamaha dealer to inquire how this would affect my warranty. It will!!

Anything else I should know about from the RSV Hannigan owners/riders?

Getting closer to the decision point (Sorry George) on the trike. I just talked with the local installer shop and got this information:

1. He suggested I NOT get the added fuel tank. Reason being the fuel must be used regularly or else it (ethanol!!) will contaminate the rest of the fuel if left in the add-on tank too long and then pumped forward.

.....That makes sense to me and saves a chunk of $$

2. He suggested that I might reconsider the foot fairings, but only because they are so easily scratched if you're not careful when you mount/dismount.

.....That also makes sense and saves a chunk of $$

The installer/dealer said my mileage would probably drop from my current 45-46mpg to about 40-42. From what I've researched that sounds rather optimistic.

I then called my Yamaha dealer to inquire how this would affect my warranty. It will!!

Anything else I should know about from the RSV Hannigan owners/riders?

I don't know who the dealer that you are talking with, BUT ( just my point of view here now ) HE IS AN IDIOT!!!

True that gas will get stale after time, particularly this new ethanol gas, but not over night... as he seems to think. :confused24: I would venture to say that most if not all of us are aware of that and either drain the gas or use it up before storage, or at minimum use a good additive. His boat has a ton of holes in it, and wont float. At least in my pond... Yes it will save you a sum of funds, but trust me!! The first time that you forget to put the pit cock back to run and leave it on RES ( we have all done it so don't deny it :innocent: ) and you sitting on the side of the road dead in the water, and out of gas, you would be wishing that you had got it.

The second idiotic point was the running boards,,, :confused24: What is with this??? He doesn't keep up with info sent to the manufacture, or think for his self,,,:confused24: An easy fix.!! Yes they will scratch, but come with a raised rubber Hannigan Logo usually placed in the foot ( mount step area ) Some don't choose to put them on. I last year sent Jim the pattern for foot placement pads to be considered as part of the kit ( haven't heard if it would be or not, but the idea was well received. ) I will add a photo to the bottom.

Fuel mileage according to him,,, Well he is just as full of crap as a Christmas Terkey.....!!! If you get better than 35 MPG your riding at 55 MPH I wonder what brand of Left handed Cigarettes he is smoking,,, :confused24:

The Hannigan Trike kit is a particular kit that one has to pay attention to some certain things, and not just slap it together. The speedo gap is the most critical setting to achieve in most cases, then the rear wheel alignment. If you didn't see at least 2, 8 foot florescent light bulbs in a corner or on a rack in that shop. He ain't ready to install that kit...

He probably doesn't want to install the gas tank, or the running boards,,,,, the way it sounds. What did he say about a rake kit or do I dare ask,,,:)

alwrmcusn listen to KJ. He's spot on with his info. I get a consistant 35 mpg, sometimes a bit more, but never more then 37-38 on my trike.

Better RUN fast away from that idiot cause he sure don't know what he's talking about. At least to the RSV's, but surely wouldn't trust anything he'd say about trikes & conversions.

Here in Michigan we end up parking the bikes for 4-5 months during winters. Never had a problem yet with fuel in either tank. I do add in some fuel stablizer just before the last ride so it gets into the carbs.

Larry

OK my take! I normally get around 28 - 32 2 up depending on where I go, highway vs back roads. 2 up towing a trailer at sustained 70 - 80 mph yields around 22 mpg. Unless you want to stop every 2 hours or less I recommend the reserve tank. Then again, driving nonstop at 70+ mph you need to take a break every now and then...

Floorboards. I wish I would have gotten them! But, then I would have to get off the scoot to back it up unless you want to add on a reversing device. They are the only floorboards strong enough for us over 200 lb guys to stand on!

Having a dealer do the conversion vs Hannigan dealerr do it. They charge lots extra to ship and crate all the parts to the dealer, enough to justify a weeks vacation in the area and maybe even rent a car while you are down there! Drop the bike off Monday morning and pick it up Friday afternoon. Just make arrangements way in advance...

Warranty. My dealer still warranties the bike except what got added!!!

Okay Whoa hold on!!

This is a respected Hannigan conversion shop I mentioned previously. What I said was he suggested (SUGGESTED) those things. I believe both points are valid. An extra fuel tank would be handy, but only if I actually wanted to stay in the saddle for the extra miles that the tank would provide. Frankly I would not be doing 200-250 miles at a sitting before a rest/fuel stop.

As for the floor boards, I've seen them, I like them and I would like to have them. Scratches would not be a problem for me. I ride my bike, I don't just polish and show it. But the floor boards would, as I have seen, be a problem for paddle walking the bike if I need to do that. Hannigan does not have a reverse option for the Venture at this time.

I test rode a trike this morning (Harley 2010).

He gets 41mpg, it has reverse, he has over 14K on the front tire and it still looks brand new. I did not like the shake and vibrate but it seemed to smooth out underway. It has a solid rear axle. I believe the Hannigan would ride better with it's independent rear system.

I am likely to go with the Hannigan conversion on my Venture over a new Harley trike.

I appreciate all the replies and information and I hope I have not offended anyone with this reply.

No offence to me. I do like the Hannigan trike conversions. But couldn't pass up saving 6K when I did mine. I did the work myself so labor was cheap. LOL Besides I'm retired and have the time to work on it.

I really do like having that extra fuel thou. I rarely go more then about 150 miles without stopping. I rode the bike 2 years without that extra fuel and there were several times I was really worried about whether or not I'd make it the the next exit for gas. The auxiliary tank brings me a lot of peace of mind.

Larry

No offense here either... It seems odd that a dealer would suggest what they did, other than to save some cash,,,:confused24:

There is a reverse available for the Hannigan kit, but not through Hannigan. It is made by Paul at Misty Mountain Cycles in Ar. I don't know if it is something that can be retro fitted or has to be done as kit is assembled. You could give him a call. It is $1000.00 give or take.

I have no real problem moving mine around at all as long as it isn't up hill. I just don't have enough lead in my pencil to write that note :) AKA Lite in the Azz,,,

• 5 months later...
I looked into an auto tire and there are none that will fit .

I switched to a (rear) Dunlop the rubber is harder and is working great..

As far as the aux tank I would also be interested in if it does switch

auto or not. still not sure if I am going to add on yet or not. as I said

I like getting off the bike and stretching a bit. BUT sometimes having that

extra fuel would make one not worry so much if there were no stations

around for a long time.

I'd strongly urge you to get the auxiliary tank. (I've included it on my kit I ordered the other day). The main reason, for me at least, is that I hope to do some traveling "out west" and possibly alaska one of these days. In some parts of the country gas stations can be pretty "few and far between". The extra security that having more fuel on board in these cases is well worth the cost to me. Enjoy your "new" ride! I can't wait for mine to get in!!

Cards on table ... I do not know anything about trikes, other than they have one too many wheels for me, right now. I will admit to thinking that some of them look stunning, and I never talk smack about other folk's rides :) (well maybe ... I'm not a HD fan).

I do, however know quite a bit about fuel capacity.

Get the extra tank. You will never regret having it, and you might very easily regret not having it.

My VR manages about 35mpg on a run. If I use five of the 5.3 gallons available that gets me a range of 175 miles .... however ....

I am never quite sure if I have ridden too hard, too fast .... If my consumption has fallen to 30mpg then I have only 150 miles available and can often find myself looking for gas at somewhat less than that simply because it is now "on my mind", and why pass a perfectly good gas station not knowing how far it is to the next?

So in practise, you might not need to stop before 150 miles, but you usually will.

Stick 4 extra gallons in the back and you never have this concern. You can run right to your range on the main tank and stop when you want to. You never worry about having enough gas, and you will rarely actually use the spare (use it occasionally to freshen it up).

The peace of mind, plus the range when you need it, is a complex calculation, but I now have at least 8 gallons available and I never worry about where the next gas station might be.

Here's my take..

Had my RSV converted to a trike with the Hannigan kit June '09 and never regretted it. Another plus for me is that I live near the Hannigan Factory / showroom.

I have the floorboards and again, the best decision I made. One good thing about this is if you are caught in the rain it will keep your feet dry. I can also sit on the bike and push backwards with one foot. The trike rolls so easy you wouldn't believe it. It's true that if you are on a hill, it's a little more difficult, but I have never had a problem backing it up. (There's always the wife for that job!)

I do wish I had an aux tank, but it wasn't available when I had mine done. I am working on resolving that problem tho...will keep you all updated..

As for mileage..don't know where you all are getting 40+ mpg...I never got that as a 2 wheel. However, my wife says I have a lead foot (throttle) so I always do speed limit PLUS...As a 3 wheel, I only get in the 20's. By myself, no trailer I can sometimes get 30. 2 up and pulling a trailer I get low 20s.

As for tires, I run the original tires that Hannigan put on. The front tire, I run a Michelin Continental rear tire and reverse the tread. The last one I had I got close to 25,000 miles. Rear tires got a little better than 30,000.

Sorry I went on so long, but wanted to let you know.

I have 62,000 miles on my '08 and wouldn't change a thing except more bling!!

One more thing...1 up told me to put a 1 1/2" riser on and when I did, it made a WORLD of difference.

No matter what you have done, I really hope you enjoy your trike. If you want to come and visit the showroom here and talk to the people, let me know. I will be glad to take you over there and introduce you. They will answer any question you have. Right BongoBoib? LOL

Don

PS. My beautiful wonderful sweet loving hard working wife is typing this for me!!

Carbon One,

Is your aux tank the one from Hannigan? Sounds like you have an alternative.. either way how about some additional info on your setup (drawings,etc). Sounds like the right way to go. I have an '07 without any add ons and am looking for some "inexpensive" upgrades...

pa_don

Carbon One,

Is your aux tank the one from Hannigan? Sounds like you have an alternative.. either way how about some additional info on your setup (drawings,etc). Sounds like the right way to go. I have an '07 without any add ons and am looking for some "inexpensive" upgrades...

pa_don

I made my own tank due to none available for my Tri-Wing triked kit. Included in the set up is a electric fuel pump, filter, and a fuel shut off solenoid. The way it works is when the auxiliary tank is being used the stock fuel pump is shut off. When the stock pump is being used the auxiliary fuel pump is shut off and the solenoid is turned on. The purpose of the solenoid is to prevent the auxiliary pump from pushing fuel thru the stock pump and into the stock gas tank. It's all controlled with a switch and relay. Really simple system thou it may not sound like it.

I'll be doing a write up in the near future on this but if you want more detailed info now let me know.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One