IGNORED

Whats Happening to my Seat?

KarlS

The pictures below are of the passenger seat and upper corners of the backrest. I showed some members at the Henry Ford M&E and the thought was it could be the dye or glue seeping through. It feels like tree sap, very sticky when the sun is out. The light colored spots are where I've tried Goo Gone on it, the real dark areas are new spots. It started out just on one corner of the seat and now pretty much spread across the entire rear of the seat. (the white spots are fibers from a towel I put on the seat so my Daughter didn't stick to the seat) Last Sunday at the M&E the Right upper corner was just starting to get sticky. Yesterday the Left corner started and is a mess today. When the sun is out it gets VERY sticky and will stick on your fingers. When cool at night barely sticky at all. Whats going on here, any guesses? First two pictures is of the seat, next one is Left upper corner (just started) last one is of right upper corner, you can see how much color has came out of the seat using Goo Gone in the last picture. Goo Gone doesn't do anything to get the sticky gone, just seems to take color away.

Edited by KarlS
added content

My 85 went exactly the same way, and I understand its a breakdown of the vinyl as it ages in the sun. I found a new seat to put on my scoot, by i understand quite a few people just have the seat recovered by an upholsterer for a fairly reasonable price compared to a new seat.

Brian

Had that happening to my 85,,,,, I considered it to be a build up of dirt and dust, and the stickiness provided by moisture. So I tried cleaning it, but nothing would touch it,,,, until I tried, as a last resort: carburetor cleaner. I thought the heck, I can't ride it this way so if the vinyl goes bad, it goes bad and I'll have to replace it. It's been 4 years and still no deterioration to the vinyl that I can see and after cleaning it about 4 times it doesn't seem to get sticky this year. Right after I use the cleaner I soak it with Pledge and I still get people looking at it and asking how old the vinyl is,,, so it looks good as well.

Be sure to take the seat off the scoot before you do this,,,,, the paint doesn't react well with carb cleaner.

Exactly the same thing happened to my '85 ... tried everything (except carb cleaner lol) ... eventually took it to an upholstery shop and got the seat and backrest re-covered ... cost me $250 but it was well worth it as I was able to choose material and colors, etc.

My 85 is doing the same thing. I cleaned it with gasoline as suggested by another member last year. That worked pretty well but I still have more work to do on it. I was thinking I might try seafoam, It works for everything else.

I had the same situation on my '84. After much converstation with local seat shops the information was that it was common problem with early model Ventures and Gold Wings primarily in the brown seats. They all felt it was from the dye leeching out of the material.

I noticed it more on the passenger seat as it didn't get used as much. But I would see that on sunny, warm days it was getting sticky on my seat.

I ended up replacing the seat and back rest with eBay buys in black. It would be nice to see if the suggestions made here will work on mine. I'd like to go back to the brown seat and back rest. They were in great condition except for the stickyness.

It's the vinyl breaking down.

There isn't a cure ... Well, re-covering, that is a cure.

The good news is that the new vinyls will last even longer than the old ones :)

Maybe the vinyl is breaking down,,,, I won't argue that,,, but mine still looks good, has no rips or cracks, (other than the normal repaired piece at the front). It's original and will serve until gives me more issues. So far it has not cost me a new cover, is not sticky, could use another cleaning to look better, and it has been 4 years and 3 thorough cleanings with carb cleaner,,,,, just my experience.

Maybe the vinyl is breaking down,,,, I won't argue that,,, but mine still looks good, has no rips or cracks, (other than the normal repaired piece at the front). It's original and will serve until gives me more issues. So far it has not cost me a new cover, is not sticky, could use another cleaning to look better, and it has been 4 years and 3 thorough cleanings with carb cleaner,,,,, just my experience.

Right :)

Pretty much everyone in this thread is correct (is that a new record?).

You can fix it just as long as you know it's temporary, and the problem will return.

OTOH, there is little that makes a bike look better than a new seat cover :)