IGNORED

Warranty help needed

Hulign

Ok like others I have found that the bolts were left out of the metal strip at the top on the fairing. I did what I thought was the right thing. I took it to the dealer. Days later the dealer put bolts in the strip and told me the repair was good. They completely ignored the fact that the ends were broken loose at the well nuts. After several calls explaining to the dealer how the bike they sell was put together they finally see what the problem is. They claim the inner support is bent and that the bike must have been wrecked and that's why the bolts weren't there. So they are claiming no warranty on any of these parts. I called the Yamaha number? (800-962-7926) The lady said she called the dealer and said if the dealer said it's not something Yamaha would cover than it isn't...end of story.

I'm beyond upset. I shopped long and hard to find a bike with 1089 miles on it and warranty so I wouldn't have this sort of problem.

Anyone have any help or advice?

Frank

I just had my front inner and outter faring warrantied by yamaha.

sounds like the same type of issue. The windshield was loose and upon

inspection by the dealer, noted the plastic taps on each end that hold the metal strip that

goes between the windshield and faring were broken and the tabs that hold the windshield were broken the tried to get yamaha to warranty. first call denied. yamaha said the same thing, must have hit something, this bike has never hit, leaned over to the crash bars and always serviced by the dealer, because it is under warranty and i want them to do it all except oil changes untill the warranty is up. So, I took my bike back in and had them dismantel the faring and take pictures as this progressed, then refile a claim with yamaha. the claim was excepted and all parts replaced that were effected. I really think and so did the dealer think, the tab design is weak and under stress the windshild plate mounting tabs can break. Pictures, Pictures may help. I also feel my damage was caused in origional shipping and assembly by the dealer went un-noticed. I would keep pressure on the dealer to send pictures and refile the claim. If that doesn't progress ask to see and speak to the rep. personally. I have come to believe that Yamaha claims operates like the medical field in a lot of cases claims are denied thing the customer will go away.

Don't go away without taking it as far as you can. Usually it is not the dealer or in the dealers best interest to have an unhappy customer and could be worth a few bucks to have an attorney send a letter to the dealer and yamaha explaining the warranty and their obligation to the warranty. I didn't have to get nasty but the dealer knew I was prepared to go step by step to get the issue corrected by yamaha.

Actually the dealer Bobby J's Yamaha was excellent to deal with and I feel expressed the

right concerns and professionally evaluated the issues to get a satisfactary result.

Good Luck, Shamue.

Can you tell me who you dealt with at Bobby J's Yamaha? I really think if I can provide proof to the dealer that this is a repeated issue they will take care of it.

Thanks for the reply!

Frank

If anyone reading this thread has had this issue would you please consider sending me as much detail as you can from these repairs? Invoices if you can. You can block personal info. I really want my bike fixed and this warranty issue fixed.

Thanks

Frank

ask the dealership owner to call and talk to the yamaha rep while you are there or make an appointment to do this in advance.

it's very easy for the dealer to blame mamma yammaha, and visa versa, however if you put them in the position to set the blame on one or the other....... they will generaly fold and fix your bike.

warranty claims that are denied because of damage, are required to show proofe of said damage.... no proofe then no damage.... sounds like warranty claim to me..

most dealers understand this hot seat method and they don't want to play and look like the fool... offer this idea to your dealer and see how quick things move along.

then report back. mike:080402gudl_prv:

Eusa1 the problem is the dealer seems to think that the metal cage bracket doesn't fit properly. And because of this he is saying the bike has been wrecked. I have obviously been in there a few times and had zero issue out of this same bracket. I did take pictures to show that the bolts were missing and that it had been zip tied but the dealer thinks the zip tie is part of crash damage. He doesn't realize that this has happened to others. This is what I am trying to prove. I'm just looking for others that have had this repaired due to the missing bolts/zip tie

Frank

Thanks Shamue!

tx2sturgis Yeah I figured that out by now. The main thing now is I at least want it fixed right ONCE. After that it's anybodies guess. But right now if the outer fairing breaks they have no reason to fix it because they claim it's wrecked. I just want it on the books as an issue that happens and that they have tried to fix. I bought a bike with a warranty and they should honor that warranty.

I don't have pictures but mine was missing the bolts and had the zip tie thing. I don't like dealing with dealers so I took care of it myself and it's been long enough I don't remember everything. I think I used some epoxy and fibreglass to reinforce the broken tabs. Then I crashed at 30000 miles and all the plastics got replaced.

I had bought my 99 used back in 2003 and I discovered the fairing tabs were broken off. After some arguing my dealer reluctantly replaced mine back in 2003 under warranty.They had contacted Yamaha and they approved the repair. Although my bar had the bolts in place the tabs were broken off anyway. This is a recurring problem and even the replacement fairing tabs are already broken. So, unless your dealer lives under a rock he should be aware of this issue.

I've owned two '99 models. Both had the center bolts missing and tie wraps substituted. Both have the end tabs broke off. Goose has a good repair for the broken end tabs in the tech library. I never tried to get mine warrantied. I feel that they would just break again if repaired under warranty. It's a weak area and this repair is better in my opinion.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20293

Guess the PO of my '99 had a different idea of windshield attachment. There is no metal strip. The windshield is bolted directly to the tabs on the fairing. So when I pull the fairing, the windshield comes off with it. Once the fairing and windshield are in place there are two bolts in the center that hold it to the inner fairing frame. May fall off tomorrow, but has worked well so far. :bluesbrother:

Frank, check out these threads. Yamaha replaced my faring and put bolts in where they were missing. Initially my dealer accused me of leaving them out. We had a few words about that and they covered. Later he had another Venture in with the same issue and missing bolts. He then believed me.

Dennis

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44756&highlight=cracked+fairing

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46791&highlight=cracked+fairing

Midrsv... I am still trying to decide what to do. I had to explain to them several times what was actually wrong and then when they finally figured it out they say the bike had to have been wrecked and the bolts were left out. They never even called Yamaha. It cost me 85 bucks and my bike was gone for a week and its still not fixed. All they did was install the bolts.

I called Yamaha and got a brush off.

Not sure what to do next.

Who was your dealer? Thanks for any info

Frank

Midrsv... I am still trying to decide what to do. I had to explain to them several times what was actually wrong and then when they finally figured it out they say the bike had to have been wrecked and the bolts were left out. They never even called Yamaha. It cost me 85 bucks and my bike was gone for a week and its still not fixed. All they did was install the bolts.

I called Yamaha and got a brush off.

Not sure what to do next.

Who was your dealer? Thanks for any info

Frank

My dealer was I75 Yamaha in Richmond, KY.

Good Luck.

Dennis

Yet another call to Yamaha and they claim that their techs have never seen this sort of issue(missing bolts) on one of these bikes. She also made it a point to say that if there was an issue they would be the first to know about it.

What a joke.