IGNORED

New Carbon One Armrests!

bongobobny

Last Thursday we received a set of Larry's lateast production run arm rests and I must say Becky is extremely pleased!! I feel a lot better too knowing the armrests won't swing out while we are going around curves and turns which is much more noticible on a trike where we don't lean like 2 wheelers.

Installation was a breeze! The hardest part of the operation was drilling holes in the passenger grab rails. I recommend drilling a pilot hole first to make it a tad easier. Our trunk was already installed in the second set of holes so that step didn't need to be done, but in our case I discovered my trunk was not aligned properly for some reason and the passenger controls were right in front of the up tube, whereas on the other side the up tube was quite a ways over from the same point, so I am suspecting either something did not get aligned properly with the trike conversion, or my left passenger grab rail was bent out, or the right bent in, or both! Anyways I ended up drilling new holes in the bottom of my trunk to move it even further back and over about a half inch or so. I would suspect that on a normal RSV this won't be a problem!

So, I am highly recommending these to anyone in the market for a set of passenger arm rests. They are high quality and rugged, typical of anything Larry builds! One nice touch is the top of the arm rest is fabric insert with the sides leather. Very nice touch in hot weather so your arms aren't stuck to the leather after a long ride!

BTW I now have a set of Diamond R armrests for sale now, $100 or B/O plus shipping...

• 1 month later...
May I ask why you are selling the Diamond Arm rests? I'm looking into Larry's or Diamond's or these ones:

http://www.americanmotorcycleaccessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AMA2006

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thank you!!!!

Uhhhhh, because I didn't need 2 sets of armrests?!!?

Those armrests in the link look nice but do they lock into place??? On a trike the passenger gets thrown sideways a lot more than on 2 wheels. I just don't like armrests that swing out because of safety reasons..

Uhhhhh, because I didn't need 2 sets of armrests?!!?

Those armrests in the link look nice but do they lock into place??? On a trike the passenger gets thrown sideways a lot more than on 2 wheels. I just don't like armrests that swing out because of safety reasons..

Bob I never liked armrest for the reason that you see one comimg down the road with one hanging out like he is ready to hook a corner pole for a fast turn

but then again if the Big Boss want em! The Straw Boss puts em on

Dray

The only concern I have is moving the trunk. These bikes are hard to figure out - for me, anyway. I looked through the service manual and found it basically useless. Exploding diagrams just don't work for me. The nearest Yamaha dealer is over two hours away from here and in the boonies.

I don't know how to move the trunk and am reluctant to screw around with it if I might mess it up. It also means taking out the liner, doesn't it, so it'll never look good or stick properly again? I really don't know.

This is definitely getting frustrating. Didn't know it was going to be so difficult.

The only concern I have is moving the trunk. These bikes are hard to figure out - for me, anyway. I looked through the service manual and found it basically useless. Exploding diagrams just don't work for me. The nearest Yamaha dealer is over two hours away from here and in the boonies.

I don't know how to move the trunk and am reluctant to screw around with it if I might mess it up. It also means taking out the liner, doesn't it, so it'll never look good or stick properly again? I really don't know.

This is definitely getting frustrating. Didn't know it was going to be so difficult.

You are making it much more difficult than it is. The liner is not stuck down. It is just laying in the bottom of the trunk. You lift it out, remove 4 screws, slide the trunk back until it matches up with the other set of holes, put the screws back in. There is honestly nothing to it.

You are making it much more difficult than it is. The liner is not stuck down. It is just laying in the bottom of the trunk. You lift it out, remove 4 screws, slide the trunk back until it matches up with the other set of holes, put the screws back in. There is honestly nothing to it.

Really? Awesome!! Thank you so much!!! See, if people would just TELL me these things!! LOL

I will take a look at it and try that. That DOES make things MUCH easier. Thank you!!!

The only thing you need to "unstick" is the rubber at the back of the trunk (underneath) that rests the trunk on the support rail at the back. Just peels off. Put it on top of the rail after you position the trunk (before bolting it down) and press the trunk on top of it.

As for moving the trunk... under neath there are 3 hole positions for each screw. You only have to move the trunk back one hole. You will need to get a nut for a couple screws since a couple of the holes don't have nuts welded to the support.

The scariest part is drilling the holes thru the passenger grab rails ! Make sure you are lined up and go for it !

Yup, it's done!!!! :banana: Of course, I forgot to put the rubber part back before I finished :bang head: but I can redo that later. For now, I'm just so happy it was so easy.

This is the kind of advice that is SO helpful here!! Thank you all so much!!!! :wow:

EDIT: Just went back out, took the trunk off again, put the rubber back in place and put the trunk back on. It's EASY now. Thank you again!!!!!!!

Edited by myminpins

So, I am highly recommending these to anyone in the market for a set of passenger arm rests. They are high quality and rugged, typical of anything Larry builds! One nice touch is the top of the arm rest is fabric insert with the sides leather. Very nice touch in hot weather so your arms aren't stuck to the leather after a long ride!

When they flip up, how do they stay in place? When they are down, can the bike still be driven? I'd love to see some pictures of them down and the mechanism for keeping them up and in place. :)

When they flip up, how do they stay in place? When they are down, can the bike still be driven? I'd love to see some pictures of them down and the mechanism for keeping them up and in place. :)

They are held in place by gravity. :confused24: Sure the bike can be driven when down. No electrical kill switch or whatever. Consider them as just another add on like footrests , air vents, trunk rack, etc.

Seriously the weight of the arm rest pad will keep them in the down position will riding. There will be some slight friction due to the snug fit with the plastic washers inside so when lifted into the upright position they'll stay upright. That friction point can be adjusted more or less as desired by tightening the piviot screw.

Larry

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Is there a link to a website for "Larry's" armrests? I've googled it but cannot find anything.

Last Thursday we received a set of Larry's lateast production run arm rests and I must say Becky is extremely pleased!! I feel a lot better too knowing the armrests won't swing out while we are going around curves and turns which is much more noticible on a trike where we don't lean like 2 wheelers.

Installation was a breeze! The hardest part of the operation was drilling holes in the passenger grab rails. I recommend drilling a pilot hole first to make it a tad easier. Our trunk was already installed in the second set of holes so that step didn't need to be done, but in our case I discovered my trunk was not aligned properly for some reason and the passenger controls were right in front of the up tube, whereas on the other side the up tube was quite a ways over from the same point, so I am suspecting either something did not get aligned properly with the trike conversion, or my left passenger grab rail was bent out, or the right bent in, or both! Anyways I ended up drilling new holes in the bottom of my trunk to move it even further back and over about a half inch or so. I would suspect that on a normal RSV this won't be a problem!

BTW I now have a set of Diamond R armrests for sale now, $100 or B/O plus shipping...