How do you deal with removing/installing the grips on a first gen? Are the chrome caps on the end of the bars removable or do the old grips have to be cut off and the new ones stretched over the end caps? I have an 84 VR that the PO put leather grip covers on, which make my hands feel like I'm holding onto the fat end of a baseball bat. Want to remove the covers and set something up that is a little smaller in diameter.

I used compressed air also, to remove the original grips. I installed heated grips (1st pair quit working) repacement heated grips are in garage waiting for fall/winter. The end caps keep the "weight" in. The heated grips have closed ends.

Yes the end caps are removable with a phillips screw from the inside, so the grips have to be removed first. Stock grips are foam rubber. Aftermarket 3/4' grips will usually mount up OK...

It uses 7/8" grips.

I'll second the air, works every time. On the clutch side it helps to loosen the clutch perch and slide it up the bar so you can get the nozzle against the end of the grip. I usually use air to float new ones one too (unless I'm using adhesive).

Are the chrome caps on the end of the bars removable or do the old grips have to be cut off and the new ones stretched over the end caps?

The chrome caps are part of the grips and aren't fastened to the bars. They come of with the grips as an assembly.

http://www.vipcycle.com/product_images/s/198/foam4b_cc_copy__60980_zoom.jpg

Im confused guys. Where exactly do you shoot the air to get the grip off?

On the inboard end, between the end of the grip and the switch housing. The idea is to get air between the grip and the bar, expanding the grip so you can slide it off the bar.

It can be tough to do with the ones like pictured because of the chrome metal/plastic rings on the inboard end.

Since I was gonna trash the grips anyway, when I did mine I ripped the outboard chrome ends off and slit the end of the grip enough that I could blow air between the grip and bar. It's a little tougher that way because the air pressure isn't helping push the grip off like it would if you were working from the other end, but it worked.

Learning that the "chorme" caps and rings are part of the grips clears up my thinking.....don't know what I was thinking for sure, but that shinny stuff had me scratching my head.:confused24: Have used the compressed air method on dirt bikes for years.... but they were all "bling free". Now all I have to do is find replacement grips that suit my taste.