IGNORED

Ford 9" rear ends

a1bummer

Anybody here have any experience with rebuilding them? I tore up the spider gears in my 78 this spring. I had bought a new ring and pinion to change the ratio from the 3.25:1 that was in it to go to 3.89:1 so it would be more ideal with the transmission gearing, peak horsepower, and tire size I would be running a while back. Now is a good time to get them in while I was replacing the diff case seeing as how the original one had holes punched through it. But now that I have everything together, I need to set the rotational force on my pinion and carrier bearings. But I don't have a torqometer, and a spanner wrench would also come in handy. Would anybody happen to have either of these and be willing to lend them or help out who lives in the Thorp/Eau Claire/ Chippewa Falls/ Abbotsford , WI. area?

Anybody have any tips or hints that I should be aware of?

Anybody have the proper torque specs? I've found several places on the net with them, but they vary a bit from one to the other. One says to set the preload on the pinion to 22-32 inch lbs., which definitely feels way to tight.

I just don't want to go through all the money and trouble just to have the thing melt down or explode on me.

Thanks for any assistance,

Bill

Edited by a1bummer
Improper grammar

I suppose I could've mentioned it was an F100. lol

It's not pretty, but it's reliable. Until I took out the spiders anyway. First 9" Ive wrecked. For now I'm just concentrating on getting it better mileage and working the bugs out everything in the engine and running gear before I move onto the body. So far I swapped in a 1991 351W w/MEFI, E4OD trany, tilt wheel, cruise, power windows, power locks, etc.. Plans are to drop the rear 6-8 inchs and the front 5 or so. Not that I want to slam it or anything, but for less drag and better handling.

Check out my gallery of my 78 Cobra.

Just took a look at your Cobra. Though I'm not a huge fan of the 2nd gen stangs, that is is the sweetest one I've seen so far. I wouldn't mind being caught driving that one. How's the body holding up with the extra HP under the hood?

I'm more of a fan of the 1st gens myself. The 69-70 in particular. But I do like where they've gone with the stangs in the past few years though. If I ever won the lottery, a 70 Boss in grabber blue would be my first choice.

Just took a look at your Cobra. Though I'm not a huge fan of the 2nd gen stangs, that is is the sweetest one I've seen so far. I wouldn't mind being caught driving that one. How's the body holding up with the extra HP under the hood?

I'm more of a fan of the 1st gens myself. The 69-70 in particular. But I do like where they've gone with the stangs in the past few years though. If I ever won the lottery, a 70 Boss in grabber blue would be my first choice.

I used to take my race car rear ends to the dealer. There was a mechanic there who set up the differentials and would work on the side. Ask one of the Ford mechanics at the dealer if anyone there can do it.

the 9" ford rear end is one of the strongest street rearends made. it is an art to rebuild one properly. since they use hypoid gears it is very important that the pinion gear has the proper end play for the clearance on the tapered roller bearings, and the depth of it is right in the ring gear via shims. than the ring gear has to be set for the proper gear contact pattern. while setting the bearing end play on the carrier. it has to be ultra precise. you will need a good dial indicator and alot of experience to get it perfect. there are folks out there that claim to be experts and have done many of them that don't have a clue. if not done right they will howl and succumb to early failer.