IGNORED

NGK spark plug caps

If your talking about the long black caps that the wires connect to and go over the plugs, that would be a dealer Item or used if you can find them..whats wrong with yours??

I tried to buy new NGK caps for my 2004 venture but the parts store could't match the numbers off of OEM's. Does anyone have the NGK numbers or know how to get them?

Independent MC shop in town here carried bunch of different plug caps. I was able to carry my old one in and match up a new resistor cap with a different angle that actually fits my tight 1gen clearance better, and it was NGK. replaced all 4 for about $5 each. Can get you the number later if you want. I saved the boxes out in shop.

With all the talk about bad coils, has anyone replaced these on a suspected bad coil and it alleviated the dead cylinder?Just wondering if the coils are truly bad or if it is the caps.It would be great to just replace these instead of having to buy new coils for those that are out of warranty. I know this has been discussed before, but i have never seen a definite answer.

First, thanks to all. Although it still cranks out pretty good, I don't seem to have the power I remember when I bought it with about 5000 miles on it. On a trip to Florida, getting from 70 to 110 mph or better was quite quick without a downshift. Now it seems to be slower. I have 37500 mi. on it, did the valve adjustment around 28000, synched the carbs awhile ago, with some improvement. My gas mileage is pretty much the same about 42 mpg at 70 mph. I read here about a bad coil and v7goose's findings that maybe it's the cap. Anyway I figure the caps easy and cheap so I would start there with fresh plugs. I really, really hate to have it down for a couple of days during riding season as I'm sure you all do.

Independent MC shop in town here carried bunch of different plug caps. I was able to carry my old one in and match up a new resistor cap with a different angle that actually fits my tight 1gen clearance better, and it was NGK. replaced all 4 for about $5 each. Can get you the number later if you want. I saved the boxes out in shop.

Brian,

I'd like the part number when you can get to it.

Frank D.

Sorry took so long

WPS#56-9700

NGK#XD05F

NGK stock#8072

I paid #3.95 ea

The lead-in is a straight 90deg, vs 45deg on the old ones and for me fit lots better.

Yes they are taller than old ones but still fit.

I also replaced my wires, making them long enough for good routing.

First, thanks to all. Although it still cranks out pretty good, I don't seem to have the power I remember when I bought it with about 5000 miles on it. On a trip to Florida, getting from 70 to 110 mph or better was quite quick without a downshift. Now it seems to be slower. I have 37500 mi. on it, did the valve adjustment around 28000, synched the carbs awhile ago, with some improvement. My gas mileage is pretty much the same about 42 mpg at 70 mph. I read here about a bad coil and v7goose's findings that maybe it's the cap. Anyway I figure the caps easy and cheap so I would start there with fresh plugs. I really, really hate to have it down for a couple of days during riding season as I'm sure you all do.

I know what you mean about having the bike down when the wx is great. Very sad thing.

If you're consistently getting 42 mpg at 70 mph on a Venture, then your motor is probably about as good as they get, and better than most. I can bust 40 mpg at 70 mph steady cruise only with a dead calm wind, maybe a slight tail wind. And at that, I have to keep it at a steady cruise with no herky jerky, hard passing, or anything like that. Usually, my mileage drops into the mid-30's once I get to 70 mph.

When you said your power dropped since a ride to FL, it reminded me of how my bike will feel different when I go to Austin. I live above 5,000 feet, and am used to how the bike feels where I live. I go to Austin a few times a year, and am always pleased with how many more ponies join the team by my going down to 500 feet.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but some good info here on NGK plug caps. I found this looking for a place to buy new ones for my 83. When changing the plugs the other day I found that the cap on #2 was really loose on the spark plug stud. Time to replace it.

Now while researching this I read that the cap should have a 5Kohm resistor...just for fun I check the resistance on mine and find it reading open? I pull the cap of the rear plug and get the same reading. I understand that the current can be jumping a small break but this thing should not be running as well as it does like this right??

I have two questions;

1) to Bkuhr...where the hell did you find the caps for under $5?

2) these cannot be rebuilt right? (mine are VB05FP by the way)

I know this is an old thread but some good info here on NGK plug caps. I found this looking for a place to buy new ones for my 83. When changing the plugs the other day I found that the cap on #2 was really loose on the spark plug stud. Time to replace it.

Now while researching this I read that the cap should have a 5Kohm resistor...just for fun I check the resistance on mine and find it reading open? I pull the cap of the rear plug and get the same reading. I understand that the current can be jumping a small break but this thing should not be running as well as it does like this right??

I have two questions;

1) to Bkuhr...where the hell did you find the caps for under $5?

2) these cannot be reuilt right? (mine are VB05FP by the way)

I got these a couple years back at Star Motorcycle (independent shop) Bowling Green Ky. Looks like they have moved to a new location from where they were, here is their facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Motorbike-ATV-Bowling-GreenKY-42101/101839959856301

I believe that all these resistor plugs can be opened, and attempts made to clean resistor corrosion with pencil eraser, many small parts and springs, found it easier to just replace them. Spring typically seems to be sprung from overheat/ corrosion

I did pre-emtively open my new caps, and coated the spring with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Have worked great since.

Thanks Brian...found them localy for $7 each!

Has anyone had this issue (open cicuit) while still running fairly well. I've allways thought the spark was a little week and that the bike didin't run as strong as many here have described. Have to wonder what will happen when I replace the caps??:fingers crossed: