IGNORED

Starts on 3 cylinders

I have a 2005 RSTD with Khromewerks exhaust, K&M air filters, and no other modifications. Over the past week or so I have had the following problem:

When the bike sits overnight or cools down for several hours it starts but only runs on 3 cylinders until I rev the engine a few times then I can actually hear a change in the pitch of the exhaust and the other cylinder fires up. I have installed new plugs (rear only) yesterday and it still have the problem. I'm pretty sure it's getting gas because if I let it idle I can smell gas.

I know its only running on 3 cylinders because I do the "touch test" on the headers. The cylinder affected is (as your sitting on the bike) the back right cylinder. After I rev the motor a few times the header gets hot like the others. It runs normally the rest of the time, it's only when it cools off that I have the issue. Using the choke doesn't really make a difference.

The pilot jet on that carburetor is plugged. You can check this by simply pulling off the vacuum line from the port and spraying a little carb cleaner or starter fluid on that vacuum port right after you start the bike - if you have spark, it will immediately pick up the RPM.

Goose