IGNORED

too many cars

david Taylor

this past month 7 motorcyclist were killed within an hour of my house. two couples were taken out at one time by one car. I didn't know any of them but it sure was close to home. Each one was killed because a car driver wasn't paying attention or doing something stupid. the only exception to this was a young man who hit a cow on a sport bike. there is just too many cars out there, be careful.

Don't get me wrong but I like it when someone posts about a motorcycle accident and especially the cause of it. It isn't that I have a warped mind or anything and my prayers are with the rider every time.

The reason I think it is important that we post about bike accidents (and the cause) is to remind us all that we are NOT invincible, that most cagers do NOT see us, that as good as our bikes are and how well we think we take care of them they are mechanical with two small patches of rubber on the road and that things do break at the worst moment.

It isn't always the person that turns left in front of us, or tries to take our lane, or is occupied on a cell phone and rear ends us....there are cars backing out of driveways, deer that run across in front of us, birds that fly into us, drivers blinded by the sun, truck tires that blow, road kill, the weather, oil on the road, gravel on corners....

I don't know how many times I've told my girlfriend ahead of time to watch what I think a driver will do and sure enough, no matter how unlikely it is that they'll do the stupid thing I am suggesting, they do it. How many times have you anticipated and avoided a situation?

It is the things we can't anticipate that we have to be keeping an eye out for.

We are well into the riding season and it is easy for us to let down our guard and become complacent or comfortable. Now is a good time to remember that sh*t happens that is out of our control but we have to be ready for everything. I'm sure most of us do a pre-season mechanical check of our bikes. Time for a mid-season check to look for worn tires/brakes, loose bolts/nuts, and to remind ourselves that riding a motorcycle is NOT the safest thing to do in the world and that WE are not invincible.

Sorry to ramble but I'd like to see all the people I met at this years MD and more at next years, and in one peice !

Enjoy the ride, but be safe !

Attempting to anticipate has become a big part of my sense of survival. I even tought my kids when learning to drive to watch for little things like the other vehicles front tire, abnormal vehicle movements or the movement of the out line of the drivers head. Learning to read suttle little movement of person or vehicle can make a huge difference to pre warning you of danger. It may just give you that extra second or two to protect yourself.

Edited by saddlebum

There was an accident recently on the Malahat, near Victoria. A suspected drunk driver crossed the line and hit a motorcyclist, killing him. For once the media is not blaming the motorcyclist. The 35 yr old female driver is being charged with DUI, accident causing death, etc. I think this is because recently the RCMP announced they were going to stop every motorcyclist they could and inspect them. This was supposed to stop motorcycle deaths. The resulting flood of letters from angry motorcyclists (mine included) has, I think, woken the media up to their very biased reporting and the police to the true cause of most motorcycle accidents. There is still a problem with young people and high performance bikes. I feel that a graduated licencing system whereby the power and performance of the bike you are allowed to ride is tied to the years of experience and even training. I think that, as a group, we should respond every time we see something in the media which is obviously biased or false. One of the things which really bug me is when you see a report stating a motorcyclist hit a car when it is obvious the car turned left or jumped a light and hit the motorcyclist.

There is still a problem with young people and high performance bikes. I feel that a graduated licencing system whereby the power and performance of the bike you are allowed to ride is tied to the years of experience and even training. I think that, as a group, we should respond every time we see something in the media which is obviously biased or false. One of the things which really bug me is when you see a report stating a motorcyclist hit a car when it is obvious the car turned left or jumped a light and hit the motorcyclist.

I definitely agree with you that graduated licensing should be in place based on size of bike and yers of experience. Statistics do agree that a certain age group of males has the most accidents. It needs to be based on how long a person has had a licensed bike on the road though, not just how long they've had a license.

I doesn't stop "stupid" though. The accident last year where the female passenger fell off the back of a bike on the 401 in Pickering involved a 37 year old driver.

Wanted to bring to everyone's attention though that there are other things besides traffic that we have to watch out for. An Ontario couple hit a bear in NY State yesterday. I checked the name... not a member here.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1021701--2-canadian-bikers-collide-with-black-bear-on-n-y-road?bn=1