IGNORED

changing steering bearings

Guys- I am going to change out my steering head bearings. Do I need to order any seals? The park shark print shows part #3 as (cover ball race 2) is this just the upper dust seal? and is there one like it on the stem under the #2 bearing. I might as well change the fork oil, should I remove the top nut on the forks or use the lower drain hole? I see the part number has changed on the stem nuts, if I replace the rubber washer with a steel one do you have to replace the stem nuts? Thanks guys..

There are no separate seals on the steering head - the lower bearing comes with a rubber seal.

There are no drain holes on the forks. Do not try to remove the lower bolt - that holds in the strut, and you must have a special tool to reach inside the fork and hold the strut to properly torque it.

Goose

If you haven't ordered them yet, I have a new OEM set of steering bearings from partshark.

I got them so I could replace mine when I removed forks. When I got into them, they didn't need changing.

PM me.

I will post P/N's in an hour or so, when I get home.

Gary

Goose, thanks for telling me about not removing that lower bolt. I got that from the Venturer site. Should I just take the tops off the forks and dump out the old oil? Dingy, sorry but I ordered a set of SKF bearings 32005, 32006, from a local bearing shop this morning, do you know if you can order that rubber seal by itself?

Goose, thanks for telling me about not removing that lower bolt. I got that from the Venturer site. Should I just take the tops off the forks and dump out the old oil? Dingy, sorry but I ordered a set of SKF bearings 32005, 32006, from a local bearing shop this morning, do you know if you can order that rubber seal by itself?

Yes, just dump the oil out the top (be sure to pump the forks several times to expel all the oil). The shop manual actually has decent coverage of this.

Goose

I don't know that the seal can be ordered by itself.

This one came with the seal on it as one part number.

Gary