IGNORED

Bad Bearing? Basket? Clutch plate rattle?

I m wondering if a bearing is bad or the clutch basket is wobbling. I replaced the pressure plate bearing but the noise is still there. The noise is a whirring sound almost like something is wobbling coming from the gear area loudest at 3000 rpm, stops when I pull the clutch in. At idle a slight rumble goes away when I pull the clutch in. I get on acceleration a rumble/vibration coming from the gear area. The noise is really starting to bother me. The carbs have been synced. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I think you have what is called the Venture Whine,,,,, it's just that you have an aversion to that particular frequency and so it bothers you,,,,,, maybe,,,,but just to be sure have some one else listen to it, and see if it bothers them or even if they hear it.

My 85 has something similar to what you describe and I think its pretty typical of these engines and is probably nothing to worry about.

That being said, if you have concerns, i would maybe have a quick look at the back of the gearcase the next time you have the wheel off. Just for giggles, check your output shaft coming out and check for end play and free play at the back of the engine.

Maybe unloading it when you pull in the clutch youre taking stress off the gearset or the ujoint and perhaps thats where your noise is.

brian

When I bought my 83 brand new, I noticed what sounds like what you're describing. I took it to the dealer and showed it to the mechanic. He said that becauses I had 2 years of warranty, he suggested that we wait and see if it gets worse. 29 years and 149,000 miles later, it hasn't gotten any worse. I rebuilt the transmission when 2nd gear too the dump and didn't find anything that would cause this rumble. It bothered me also, but obviously the noise in my 83 wasn't a bad noise like it sounded.

BTW, my 89 doesn't make this noise.

Frank D.

3000rpm whine is normal on mine the last 73,000 miles. But vibration is relative to what you are used to. I do know the slides start to rise at 3000. And the mains come in. That is why I sync my carbs at 3000rpm no load. Then rev to 5000 for a second or two, to confirm all is in sync still. Mine has always been least "smooth" in the vibration department @3200-3600. The rumble....that is idle rattle of the clutch basket. If only at idle...it's not a worry. Also not just syncing the carbs but properly setting the low speed screws can also smooth the idle.

My 88 with 60k mi. has a SCARY amount of wobble but synching the carbs made a world of difference at idle. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think they all wobble to some degree. The idle noise is probably normal for these bikes. The 3000 rpm noise definitely is.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem the drone occurs only when the clutch is completely out and I am decelerating under engine compression, check my post and tell me what you think. Also Check out this article in the tech section I believe. Pay particular attention to the clutch bearing pictures (Engine Removal and Clutch bearing Repair, by Freebird) I am of the opinion that these noises are not normal, and have to be properly addressed . I am an aircraft technician in the Canadian Forces and Some noises are NOT NORMAL and this is one of them.

Edited by yamihami
mistake

I found my problem the treaded shaft that is part of the pinion gear, that holds the female spline socket onto the pinion gear in the final drive was sheared off. This was causing the racket. It would still drive but under deceleration it would cause the pinion gear to move out and caused the racheting noise of the 2 broken peaces. What did not help is I did not have any backlash between the gears. This caused excessive binding between the 2 gears and probably led to the breakdown.