IGNORED

Gonna have to watch this one!

Yammer Dan

Finally gave up on idea of doing things myself. I think my 21st Birthday slipped by me someway. Hired a contractor to do block& footers and get ready for Garage. Had my digging tools out leaning against a tree. Noticed when he finished 1st day all my tools were in his pile. Didn't show up 2nd day didn't call or anything. This is after I forked over 1000 bucks to get him started. Got one good days work out of them. Starting to wonder. I have his name and address.

Think a 20 x 40 Garage is big enough?? Not up to Skids standards but pretty good sized. Might even be room for car. New G 6 not liking to sit out in weather.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think a 20 x 40 Garage is big enough?? .

I have a 24X48 pole barn garage and not big enough, so I also have...er had.....2ea 10x12 sheds.

Last nights storm took out 1 of them :crying:.

(shhh, it was just the wifes yard sale stuff)

brought bucket truck home from work and used it to lift tree off, then raise roof that was at about 3feet AGL.

She still gonna make me get her another one, guess I got my work cut out for me this weekend.:doh::mo money:

My garage is 30' wide x 40' long, just big enough. Everyone said to me when I started idea,"Do not build 24' wide, go at least 28' and get 10' wide garage doors." These people all had 24' wide and 9' wide doors. So glad that I listened and built wider and should have gone 8' longer. LOVE THE GARAGE ...........:cool10::thumbsup2:

I would not do only 20' wide if I had the room.

Fuzzy

My garage is 30' wide x 40' long, just big enough. Everyone said to me when I started idea,"Do not build 24' wide, go at least 28' and get 10' wide garage doors." These people all had 24' wide and 9' wide doors. So glad that I listened and built wider and should have gone 8' longer. LOVE THE GARAGE ...........:cool10::thumbsup2:

I would not do only 20' wide if I had the room.

Fuzzy

8 Ft Wouldn't have made a difference, mine is 30'D x48'W with 11'2" ceiling height. It's loaded and I still park my Jeep and truck outside. The Door is 9'x16' , wish I'd have made it 10' tall and moved it 3ft to the left :doh:

The more room you have the more you collect. :think:

Dam nice garages and you think it is too small. My 16x22 attached to the house is small and no room to expand even a shed.

Starting to think some of you have too much junk. :think::rotf:

Brad

JUNK !!!! You sound just like my wife :buttkick: All of a sudden it's not junk when I have what she needs for HER project. A quick inventory, 2 Motorcycles, 1 tractor, 1 snowmobile, 1 Diamond T, 1 Buick GS, wifes car, 1 freezer, 1 Beer fridge and all the other things a man must have when he's in the dog house ie. cable tv, internet, beer fridge :thumbsup2:

I have two garages. The one we park the season car. That's the car we are driving for the present season, summer, along with the Road Star (mine) and RSV (ours).

In the back garage (shop) which is 40X60 and barely big enough for the truck, car trailer w/car inside, two more Mustangs and the off season car. Plus a ton of storage for the stuff, I don't have junk. The shop has two 10X10 overhead doors and two 12X14 rollup doors.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Finally gave up on idea of doing things myself. I think my 21st Birthday slipped by me someway. Hired a contractor to do block& footers and get ready for Garage. Had my digging tools out leaning against a tree. Noticed when he finished 1st day all my tools were in his pile. Didn't show up 2nd day didn't call or anything. This is after I forked over 1000 bucks to get him started. Got one good days work out of them. Starting to wonder. I have his name and address.

Not good business practices - for either one of you. When he sobers up and if he can remember where he left his tools - ahh, never mind - it's too late now

I never pay a contractor until the job is done, that's my rule. I did that once with a friend of mine that put siding on my garage and couldn't hardly get his butt out there to do the job. It took him almost a year to put siding on my garage, NEVER AGAIN! People tend to work a little harder for you when they are waiting to get paid for a job.

The law in Massachusetts is:

When the contractor lays the material down on your property it belongs to you not him.

My neighbor was a contractor and stuff stayed on the trailer as long as possible.

Buyer beware is always a good thought. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Good luck with your project.

JUNK !!!! You sound just like my wife :buttkick: All of a sudden it's not junk when I have what she needs for HER project. A quick inventory, 2 Motorcycles, 1 tractor, 1 snowmobile, 1 Diamond T, 1 Buick GS, wifes car, 1 freezer, 1 Beer fridge and all the other things a man must have when he's in the dog house ie. cable tv, internet, beer fridge :thumbsup2:
Only one beer fridge?. . . What is your problem ?????

Yep, I learned my lesson.

Many years ago I had aluminum siding put on my house that had shingles, as many of the local houses in the neighborhood did. A sales rep out of Knoxville, about 100 miles away stopped by and gave me a good deal, as he felt the neighborhood had a lot of potiental for him. He also gave me some addresses of other jobs he had sold. So, I looked at the other jobs and agreed on the work. Then I found out he was hiring local guys and I just happened to know them from high school many years before and did not think much of them then, which should have been a red flag

The job was with in a couple of hours being finished, doing some trim work and putting the awning back up and it being Friday, the sales rep asked if I would pay him so he could pay the crew and they would be back to finish it Monday.

Due to them not coming back, I ended up calling the office in Knoxville and getting the run a round. Before it was over with, I went to a lawer and had them write a letter stating I was going to sue. Then, the owner shows up and apolgizes and finishes the job himself and gives me about 15% of my money back. He was also mad when he saw the potential in the neighborhood that he had lost out on.

I know now not to pay out anything, unless it may be for materials I can account for, until I am completely satisfied with the job.

RandyA

You should have set a completion date with the contractor in the signed contract..

For every day he is past the completion date, he pays you a fine..like $50.00 a day...

You can bet your butt he will finish on time..

Dam nice garages and you think it is too small. My 16x22 attached to the house is small and no room to expand even a shed.

Starting to think some of you have too much junk. :think::rotf:

Brad

JUNK--- 5 motorcycle's--1 sidecar-cargo trailer-zero turn lawnmover-lawn sprayer-lawn dethatcher-weedeater-tool box-ladders, shovels-brooms-log splitter-elec. meat saw,you get the picture. You can never have to big of a barn. I'm storing my daughters furniture in the house garage while she is in grad. school, so can't even park in the house garage.

Yeah its noon and a No Show today. He talked a good game and I bit.

Yammer, I hate this for you. I hope all works out to the best. Some people just make me angry with just this kind of stuff. Man, you just can not trust anyone. Most are just out for the money, that's it, no matter the morals or anything else. I remember when you could go to the store and just walk in and enjoy the trip or what ever.

Now it is like this, you start in and someone is rushing ahead of you and maybe knock you down to get in first. The world is in so much trouble, so greedy and no respect or morals at all. So many children are seeing this and being raised this way and it is only getting worse. I have started to become a more raw and straight forward person over this kinda stuff. Just to say, I can feel for you, been there and done that. Shame on me the first time, shame on the them the second time. I am a firm believer that this will come back to them in some way. The whole world acts as if you owe them something. I owe this world nothing, and neither do you.

Fuzzy