IGNORED

Trading off the Zumo 550

Hulign

Well we havent had the Zumo but for a few weeks and already having problems. The Audio output jack seems to be buggy and have had a few lockups. Honestly I do like the Navigation and having MP3's on the same device but I have real doubts on this one being worth the 600.00. I don't need or want the XM feature and find myself using the screen buttons more than the ones on the outside body. I have seen some cool features on a few much cheaper units. One being the lane assist and the current speed limit on screen. The other models have better shortcuts to flip to the music player from the map screen as well. So I broke down and ordered a car model Garmin 765T. Even with buying the mount and power cord we wont break 200.00 and it really seems to have everything but the waterproofing (I think I have room for a baggy).

I hope it works out...if not I will bite the bullet for a 660 or other model.

Frank

Well we havent had the Zumo but for a few weeks and already having problems. The Audio output jack seems to be buggy and have had a few lockups. Honestly I do like the Navigation and having MP3's on the same device but I have real doubts on this one being worth the 600.00. I don't need or want the XM feature and find myself using the screen buttons more than the ones on the outside body. I have seen some cool features on a few much cheaper units. One being the lane assist and the current speed limit on screen. The other models have better shortcuts to flip to the music player from the map screen as well. So I broke down and ordered a car model Garmin 765T. Even with buying the mount and power cord we wont break 200.00 and it really seems to have everything but the waterproofing (I think I have room for a baggy).

I hope it works out...if not I will bite the bullet for a 660 or other model.

Frank

I've had my 550 for a couple years, switch it back and froth from my bike to my jeep to my wife's SUV, never had any problems.

I have had my Zumo for about 5 years now. Already had it replaced twice. Once I had to pay for. Then the screen went out again. Bought one of line for like 40 and fixed that. But I'm about through with the 550 myself. To small and old now. Much better units out there for way less. I got baggies cheap. I just need to stick with a unit that has a "mic in" so I can still use my BT cable.

I bought the 765T for 130.00 refurbished on Amazon, it has a mic input on the dock. The ram mount is made to hold the car dock as well so I should be covered for mic in and speaker out. The nice thing about the 765T is it also has stereo out via bluetooth and the larger screen. It doesn't have the gas gauge feature or the hard buttons on the outside but I think the different shortcuts more than make up for the missing buttons and the gas gauge on the bike works great.

Frank

Ok so my initial thoughts on the car GPS (765T) VS the Motorcycle GPS (Zumo 550)...

The 765T

bigger screen

boots faster

music player shows the next couple tracks and doesn't stutter when maps are calculated

music shortcut on map screen

better playlist management

shows the speed limit

more detail at complicated intersections

has 3d buildings on the map

has traffic info (havent used this feature)

Stereo bluetooth output

my refurb was 130 bucks (180 with ram mounts and power cord)

The 550

Brighter screen

waterproof

XM

has modes that change with the mount car/motorcycle

comes with all the mounting stuff you need car and bike

mic input, audio output and power input all on the mounting base

cost 585 bucks

So the 765T will be a bit more of a pain if I have to cover it due to weather and the screen isn't as nice. But the faster boot up,speed limit,stereo bluetooth and the software differences are a huge gain.

So I will keep a baggie handy and save the 400.00

Frank

I have the 765 and it worked fine at first. Then I have the same problem as you now. The plug in for the jack is messed up. It still works, but looses connection pretty often now. I just stick the suction cup (mount came with GPS) to the top of my chrome instrument panel (RSTD). I carry a sandwich baggy too. I bought a small mp3 player for around $25.00 from Wall-Mart and I use it for music, works fine. The GPS still works great for navigation. The Wall-Mart MP3 player is not as loud, so I borrowed my friends, which has the FM radio and cost around $150.00 bucks. It was much louder and the radio worked fine too. So I am thinking that this is the way to go for music.

Garmin would have swapped the mount but I didn't want to wait and was irritated since it was only a couple weeks old. It seems the Zumo 550 is just older tech. The 660 might be better newer tech but then we are into the 700.00 range. That is getting into a crazy bit of money. This one as cheap as it is I will pry it open and fix the jack myself if it goes bad later.

Frank

• 2 years later...

I have been looking at a garmin 360, it has bluetooth and talking directions. I have a mp3 player in my phone, the phone is supposed to cut in at any time and I am using a bluetooth headsets in our helmets. I can get one for $ 100.00 refurbished by Garmin and free updates. As far as waterproof goes, well I will keep it in my jacket pocket and let it talk to me. I am hoping it will be a good thing and affordable. I am open to Ideas !!!! I have a 2005 RSV, take care Jim.