IGNORED

New Helmet causes Punctured Lung!

Globewalker

OK, OK it wasn't the helmets fault.. but does re-enforce why you should always wear it, no matter how short the ride, and should never carry anything in your hands..

We just returned from a trip to the Texas Hill Country with some friends and rode the 3 Sisters and around Bandera/Leakey area. We survived deer, rattlesnakes, llamas, cattle and 100+ degrees, no problem.

Then rode up to Fredericksburg and rode up to Enchanted Rock and back on the Willow City Loop. Stopped at a ranch that rents rooms to check it out and had stopped at the office to talk. They had a mini western town and saloon farther down on their property we went to check out.

And then a series of bad choices and bad luck ensued...

- My wife, who is diligent about wearing her full face helmet at all times, decided to just carry it since it was only a short ride on the property. She threaded her left arm through the face shield.

- We end up traveling down there on some dusty red gravel roads and it was a little difficult to navigate.

- Then, in the quest for shade from the heat, I went in the grass to park under a tree. There was un-apparently a low spot they had filled in with red gravel about 6" deep and I lost control of the bike and it fell on its left side - while at almost a dead stop.

We both fell off of course but my wife ended up in great pain. Everyone else saw what happened and thought the fall was insignificant and maybe she bruised a rib. I had only slight gravel rash on left hand.

She was a tough cookie and made the ride back to Fredericksburg but I could hear her wince when we hit the cattle guards on this old farm road so I took it fairly slow.

Back at the hotel she tried to lay there with ice but I finally convinced her to go to the hospital. The ER Dr also rode and after describing the situation felt bruised ribs was likely all that she had but took X-Rays anyhow. To his and OUR surprise she had broken two ribs and punctured her lung and had partial lung collapse. They came very close to installing a tube through her side to drain the air in her chest cavity (pneumothorax), but decided to admit her and see if it would heal itself.

We stayed 2 nights in the hospital and after several X-Rays and CATscan they decided it was stable and healing itself. We have followup appts Monday at home. She will be on pain meds for a few weeks for sure.

So what should have been a fairly uneventful fall off the bike, ended up being pretty serious because what we determined is she had fallen on her helmet and it broke her ribs. she did not break her fall with her hand at all because she was holding her helmet. Of course I also should have not driven where I didn't know the ground, or lost control of the bike, and should have let her off on the road... so I will always feel that guilt.

The bike is a bit heavy for my 160lbs and I do need to get the front lowered but not sure if that would have helped in that much loose gravel.

Here are some other cautions for that area..

-Another Dr said that all of the red granite gravel roads in that area are real slick with a powdered dust due to the extreme drought (he fell off his bike in his own driveway at the gate).

-And the deer are out on the roads a lot looking for food and water.

-And Hwy 16 from Bandera to Fredericksburg and beyond has a lot of fresh gravel and asphalt going down

FYI, if you have to go to a Hospital in that area, Hill Country Memorial is probably the nicest folks and best treatment we have ever seen.

Feelin' like a heel but I share my embarrament in hopes it prevents a similar occurrence with anyone else. :(

Keith

I know you feel bad for your wife; so glad she came out of it ok. My 1st gen VR is 780 lbs empty, so I REALLY stay away from any gravel, even on top of paved side sections as much as possible; boots h elp, non slip. Prayers for healing, and joy for your next ride together!

Jack Z