IGNORED

2008 Garmin updates.

Keitho

Well I finally got my update DVD,from Garmin. I also had to go and get a DVD for the computer, so I could use the update, well it was all sorted the new DVD player installed,so, tonight I settled in to update the Zumo 450. When I inserted the DVD there were 2 options (1)Canada Alaska and the border states, and (2) Southern US states. I uploaded the Canada updates first, then I went back on and uploaded the Southern US states. I thought that it all went well till I tried the GPS and I could not get Ontario, so I uploaded Canada Alaska and the border States again, now I cannot get the Southern US States, I could do all of North America before I started with the updates. I know that I have goofed up somewere but I don't no where. Can any of you good folks out there help me out.

Regards Keith.

Guest Ken8143
Well I finally got my update DVD,from Garmin. I also had to go and get a DVD for the computer, so I could use the update, well it was all sorted the new DVD player installed,so, tonight I settled in to update the Zumo 450. When I inserted the DVD there were 2 options (1)Canada Alaska and the border states, and (2) Southern US states. I uploaded the Canada updates first, then I went back on and uploaded the Southern US states. I thought that it all went well till I tried the GPS and I could not get Ontario, so I uploaded Canada Alaska and the border States again, now I cannot get the Southern US States, I could do all of North America before I started with the updates. I know that I have goofed up somewere but I don't no where. Can any of you good folks out there help me out.

Regards Keith.

Garmin has great customer service - try calling them - Ken

If you are a Mapsource user you will have to install City Navigator V8 (I presume this is what we are talking about) on your hard disk, then connect your Zumo, then select all the maps you want with Mapsource, then download all those maps into your gps.

I beleive that the actual maps in your gps will be overwritten, this is the way it works with my Gpsmap 60CSX but I have not tried it yet with my Zumo 550. (latest maps aboard)

If you are a Mapsource user you will have to install City Navigator V8 (I presume this is what we are talking about) on your hard disk, then connect your Zumo, then select all the maps you want with Mapsource, then download all those maps into your gps.

I beleive that the actual maps in your gps will be overwritten, this is the way it works with my Gpsmap 60CSX but I have not tried it yet with my Zumo 550. (latest maps aboard)

I have the 550 and this is how it worked for me. I do remember having a little trouble intalling but I called Garmin and they talked me right through it. I don't know if the 450 is different in that way or not though.

Although I am pleased with the Zumo550 the City Navigator V8 has some gaps. My niece has lived in a new neighborhood for 2-3 years in the Atlanta area and Sleeperhawks Mechanic address in Columbia, niether are found in the current map software. I checked with Garmin and they said v9 was released this fall, no free updates unless the unit was purchased after May this year.

The 2008 update for my Nuvi 350 went off without a hitch and I got all of North America. I wonder if theyre different for different models? The memory question is a good one too. Mine has an exansion slot to add memory. I use it for music, but can also add more maps POIs etc. I'd be interested to know what the problem ended up being so we can avoid it in the future. Good luck.

The 2008 update for my Nuvi 350 went off without a hitch and I got all of North America. I wonder if theyre different for different models? The memory question is a good one too. Mine has an exansion slot to add memory. I use it for music, but can also add more maps POIs etc. I'd be interested to know what the problem ended up being so we can avoid it in the future. Good luck.

The Zumo 550 has an internal memory of 1.2 Gig and has an extention slot for additional memory that can contain maps, mp3, and pictures.

For sure each and every model of gps has different characteristics and options.

As far as updating the maps I did a pre-test with my Zumo and the ability to load new maps with Mapsource is present the only thing I didn't do is actually complete the process, reloading over 1 gig of data in the gps could take some time.

Although I am pleased with the Zumo550 the City Navigator V8 has some gaps. My niece has lived in a new neighborhood for 2-3 years in the Atlanta area and Sleeperhawks Mechanic address in Columbia, niether are found in the current map software. I checked with Garmin and they said v9 was released this fall, no free updates unless the unit was purchased after May this year.

I just got the 550 a month ago and I'll tell you, unless I am stupid, the map that came with this unit SUCKS! My GPS 5 with a 2003 map has more info in it as far as P.O.I.'s. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and when I want to find directions using the 550, to a place that has been there for years, it isn't in there.

Also, before I bought it I talked to Garmin. They confirmed that the 550 has XM as long as I have a subscription and an antenna. He wanted to know if I wanted to buy the antenna at the same time. I told him that I wasn't going to pay that much money for an antenna and I would just buy a $25 antenna and adapt it to the 550. He said if I did that they would not support it. That was fine with me. Now I have the 550 and find out the XM is not in the Zumo. The receiver is in the antenna.

Why don't they say : THE ZUMO IS XM COMPATABLE WITH THE RECEIVER/ANTENNA?????? It is not an antenna, it is a receiver/antenna.

I b!@ched and they offered me the antenna for $125. I still told them to piss off and bought a XM radio, with antenna for $75.00.

And back to the map,,,,,, I am extremely disappointed in it unless I am or have done something to it.

Thanks to all of you that answered my call for help. I ended up following Ken's advice (thanks Ken) and contacted Garmin. It turns out that I did not have enough disk space to download the updates, this was because of the 51 MP3 files that I had on there. So I loaded those files onto a sd card then erased the ones from the Garmin and BINGO it worked like a charm, it took quite a while to download the updates though, I did'nt keep a close eye on it but I would guess it was around one and a half hours. But it's all good.:dancefool:

Cheers Keith.