IGNORED

Valve adjustment

Digger

I made an appointment for 12,000 mile check because of upcoming cross country trip and possible oil leak around rear hub. The service guy said they recommend a valve adjustment. I thought it was too early but he insisted it was recommended. I thought it wasn't needed until 27,000 miles. Is this dealer trying to rip me off?

Yep. The book says way later than that. Tell him flat out NO. Then ask him if he can read. 26600 miles

If he still insist then take your bike somewhere else cause he can't read and he really needs to be able to read (particularly numbers) to do a valve adjustment....

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2007/LIT-11626-20-24_venture_1307.pdf

Edited by BuddyRich

I made an appointment for 12,000 mile check because of upcoming cross country trip and possible oil leak around rear hub. The service guy said they recommend a valve adjustment. I thought it was too early but he insisted it was recommended. I thought it wasn't needed until 27,000 miles. Is this dealer trying to rip me off?

The person you were talking to is nothing but a dishonest LIAR and THIEF. I cannot even be charitable enough to consider that maybe he was just misinformed - if that was the case, he would have responded to your concern by actually looking up the Yamaha service interval for you.

Do not let dishonest people anywhere near your bike.

Goose

Not only that, but unless you're using valve grinding compound or some other such abrasive as engine oil, the maintenance interval suggested for many of these tasks is way overkill. I just recently checked valve clearance (likely the first time it's been done) on a 93 with 65k miles... all are well within spec. In other words, there's very little wear occurring and 26k mile check/adjust intervals is unrealistic. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to run 50-75 thou and not worry about it in the slightest.

Hey... c'mon guys .... ya can't blame a guy for wanting to make a buck (aka rip off) offa some poor, unsuspecting soul (aka MARK) now can ya ???

:whistling:

:Laugh: :Laugh:

Not only that, but unless you're using valve grinding compound or some other such abrasive as engine oil, the maintenance interval suggested for many of these tasks is way overkill. I just recently checked valve clearance (likely the first time it's been done) on a 93 with 65k miles... all are well within spec. In other words, there's very little wear occurring and 26k mile check/adjust intervals is unrealistic. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to run 50-75 thou and not worry about it in the slightest.

Thats 1 lucky person's experience (you). Please don't tell everyone they don't need to check their machines based on your good luck. Of the dozen machines with over 26K that have used my kit they all required at least some adjustment.

You've owned this bike since new?

If not, do you have it's documented service history?

If not, I wouldn't be assuming such things (which appears to be the case).

Thats 1 lucky person's experience (you). Please don't tell everyone they don't need to check their machines based on your good luck. Of the dozen machines with over 26K that have used my kit they all required at least some adjustment.

Fair point.

Thanks everyone for your response, that's kind of what I thought, but I'm not much of a an expert when it comes to the internal parts.

... and that's why being a part of this site is sooooooooooo good! (you don't have to be an expert coz there's lots of them here to help a guy out)

A local dealer that recently did some warranty work for me...

said "they typically do not do the valve adjustment on these bikes", "since these engines are so reliable and they rarely need adjustment anyway". "Plus it takes so long and the labor charge is so high". ???????????????????

I just did mine myself at 23000 miles with some help from some folks here...

With the tolerance on the exhaust .16 -.20 MM had 2 exhaust valves at .24 & .23 and one right at .20MM. Several of the intake were right at the top at .15 mm.

I was surprised at what I found at the lower than the recommend miles. I do not run it that much on the interstate (high speed), since I prefer the view of the two lane roads. I do not race it or do burn outs. I rarely hit the rev limiter.

I guess some of them stay in tolerance better than others.

I am close to 24K and thinking about not to perform a valve adjustment, if everything else feels and sound perfect on the bike. I have been changing oil regularly and not abusing the engine. I'll have to think about this more as I get close to 26K + miles. T_T:whistling:

Ok I know that I am old and have a bad case of CRS.

BUT

Wasn't there a thread a while bake about the valves where it was stated that as the valve train wears on these bikes the measured clearance gets smaller until it gets to the point that the valve will no longer close causing burnt valves?

Or am I just hallucinating again?

So if your at .20mm that's ideal?

HA! Found it!

Ok I know that I am old and have a bad case of CRS.

BUT

Wasn't there a thread a while bake about the valves where it was stated that as the valve train wears on these bikes the measured clearance gets smaller until it gets to the point that the valve will no longer close causing burnt valves?

Or am I just hallucinating again?

So if your at .20mm that's ideal?

HA! Found it!

yes sir. They get tighter, not looser with use. Somewhat counter intuitive, but happens this way as the valves pound/wear into the heads I'm told.

So if I found one a little out of spec on the loose side I'd probably just leave it alone.

Which brings up another line of thinking... What do those who've worked on the engines think about torquing to spec the head bolts as part of this procedure?

And. if one ever torques the head bolts, should valve clearance be a must do follow-on procedure?