IGNORED

Going to cut down my windshield

saddlebum

Does anyone have a spare for a 1st gen in case I screw up or regret doing it. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Measure twice, cut once!

Preperation is 90% of most jobs.

I cut a hole in my windshield for a Honda vent and found that if you measure carefully, tape off the areas you want to protect and go SLOOOOW it will come out just fine.

Good luck with your project.

I offered one that came of a MkII I had cut down three inches last year for folks to try. Of course that thing was an inch shorter then then my MkI. I wound up removing two inch from my stock MkI shield and like it just fine; did flatten the top instead of following the old curve all the way.

I am 5'9" (or 179cm) - or used to be anyway -with a 32" inseam. Most of the air goes over my head, any lower and I would have had much more buffeting, but I can see over the shield, stretch a little and the wind will blow water of the shield or duck and get some more protection. At two inch lower the top of the shield runs below line of sight for me.

It's not hard to do, you'll be fine! Good luck!

How short you planning on cutting it?

I just bought a new screen from Cee Bailey that was 2" shorter than stock. Pretty happy with it. I think they make one 4" shorter also.

But the price was good at $117.00 shipped.

There is a seller on ebay with a new standard shield for $80 plus shipping etc..... how did you like the 2 inch crop on your bike? I am considering the same thing, right now I look through the top 2 to 3 inches and would like to see over instead. how about buffeting?

I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I did not like looking through the windshield and I cut 4" off. Hated it. The buffeting around my head was terrible. I bought a new one and learned to look through the thing. My problem is lack of air in the summer heat.

During my engine replacement I rode the VR without the plastic. The air flow over the instrument cluster acted very similar to my double-bubble on my sport bike. The air hit me about the nose and mouth, but, it was smooth and quiet. This summer I will try cutting my old windshield all the way down to the top of the instrument cluster . . . I will report on my findings.

:fingers-crossed-emo

There is a seller on ebay with a new standard shield for $80 plus shipping etc..... how did you like the 2 inch crop on your bike? I am considering the same thing, right now I look through the top 2 to 3 inches and would like to see over instead. how about buffeting?

I'm 6'2" and a 34 inseam. I was looking through the OEM screen and wanted it lower. With the 2" shorter I'm looking right over the top so that's right where I wanted it.

As far as any buffeting, I can't say I'm feeling any issue with it at all. With the full face on there don't seem to be any difference at all. With the trooper style helmet with the visor if I raise my self up a bit the wind will catch the visor a bit. But in a normal riding position, it's fine.

I was a bit surpised as the OEM has that recurve at the top and the Cee Bailey is straight. Water blow off is good and I'm not getting blasted in the face by it. And believe me, that has been tested on a pretty much daily basis here over the last few weeks.

As far as any change for a passenger, I have no idea yet. The daughter is not a fan of riding in the rain.

I just cut down the windshield on my 02. I think I cut it about 1" too short. Getting buffeting at about eye level. On the other hand the increased visibility is great and it is the only bike I have ever had with any windshield. Got to get used to ducking bugs again though.

I have a shorten one here, if you want to try it first. It's not bad shape,,, but not new either.

Sure, that sounds like a good idea... how much shorter is it? I could pay shipping costs out to me {if canada post goes off strike} then either buy it from you or send it back?

Cheers, Gary

Sure, that sounds like a good idea... how much shorter is it? I could pay shipping costs out to me {if canada post goes off strike} then either buy it from you or send it back?

Cheers, Gary

Ben is going to be using it, to try it out to make sure it's what he wants to do,,,, so I'm not sure what happens next,,,, we'll let you know. It's definitely not new and has some scatches on it. Also, buying a new one might not be all so bad when you figure what shipping is going to cost,,, but we'll see.

Ben is going to be using it, to try it out to make sure it's what he wants to do,,,, so I'm not sure what happens next,,,, we'll let you know. It's definitely not new and has some scatches on it. Also, buying a new one might not be all so bad when you figure what shipping is going to cost,,, but we'll see.

Ya you are right, I'll get a new one, then experiment with my existing shield....

Thanks, Gary

I have two issues with my currant one. 1st the top edge is directly in my line of sight so I have to either slouch or stretch my neck (you texas boys can put your rope away I'm not talking about that kind of stretch). 2nd when riding in rain because, I wear glasse add face shield and windsheild I totally loose visual of the road each time a car aproaches from the opposit direction due to glare. So fri night I picked up the cutdown windsheild Carl (Marcarl) offered me and later today I am going to try it out. If I like it I will cut down my original windsheild.

Thats the main reson i cut mine down when it rains you have to contend with rain on both sides of the screen but i also wear a full face helmet so another piece of plastic to try and see through and when its cold the heat from the engine rises and fogs the screen as well

Put the cut down windshield on that Marcarl gave me and so far I like it. There is a bit more wind noise but as I said so far I prefer it. I will have to try it in the rain and see how I like then.

Edited by saddlebum

• 3 weeks later...

I cut my old windshield down to about an inch above the instrument cluster and took it out for an all-day, 100+ degree day of riding. Air hits me about the middle of my face shield. This is a couple of inches higher than the double-bubble wind screen on my Ninja. The VR has more wind noise, but, the air flow is smooth. I get good air around my neck and the vents on my helmet actually works when rolling down the road. I think it is a major improvement for riding in the summer heat.

Another member mentioned a VHT product for tinting windshields. I will post more pictures when the thing is tinted.

:smile5:

When I bought my VR it came with the factory Tall shield. Not only is it too high, but it's way too wide as well. It stretches halfway across the mirrors. Heaven knows what it is doing to fuel consumption!

Anyway, two days ago I took my jigsaw to it.

This is pretty easy, and it's not the first one I have cut down. Mark the screen carefully, some painter's tape on the bottom of the saw, and cut slowly or the acrylic will melt.

Then you can sand the cut edge smooth pretty easily.

I cut mine down from 25 inches in height to 18 inches. This is above the instrument housing, but not by much. When I am sitting on the bike it's about nose level and, in theory, the air blast should just hit the top of my helmet. I also cut the sides down and the screen now looks very small.

In about an hour I'll find out if I cut too much off :)