IGNORED

How many miles will an RSTD last?

georgebill

I bought my 06 RSTD new in July 06, and just turned 50K on the odometer. I swear it rides and runs just as good or better than it did on day one. Any ideas on how long one of these will continue to go before they are no longer reliable?

I'm crazy when it comes to maintenance, changing the oil every 2K. All other maintenance "by the book". Cosmetically it looks like new.

I love this bike, and want to keep it as long as practical. But, I want to continue to feel safe taking it for long road trips. Thoughts?

Change my oil at 5,000klm intervals filter also i dont see any reason that these engines wont do 200,000klms + considering ive had sports bikes that have bigger milage than this and rev a lot higher

I have over 80k miles on my '06 RSTD,,, going strong.

I got a venture to "take some miles off it". Venture is my family weekender car.

But, my daily drive is the RSTD.

I haven't decided which ride I will take to Madison WI this summer (from SC).

I use Amsoil and change more like at 7K miles.

Mike G

It seems that 200,000 miles is the stock answer. It might go longer with the proper maintenance and some luck. I agree that changing the oil at 2,000 miles seems a bit more often than necessary, assuming you also change the filter.

3,000 miles with dino oil and 5,000 with full synthetic should be often enough to stay ahead of oil breakdown and contamination.

When you finally start to lose compression at 200,000 or more miles in another 15 years, it will likely be cheaper to change out the complete engine than rebuilding the origonal.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like my RSTD will be around for several more years.

I have three trips each week that are only three miles in length, which is why I change my oil & filter each 2K. Figure my oil has more opportunity to become contaminated with the short trips. I use regular Dino oil and change the filter, too. Dad always said, "You never wear out an engine by changing the oil too often".

proper maintenance these motors will last

there's a reason why so many HD riders call this motor the BEAST & BULLETPROOF !!!!!!!

Only other motor that can stand with the Venture motor as for miles is the Gold Wing......

Buddy

I have personally run a 1st gen.motor to 160k and that motor is now in another bike and going strong.I have two friends who put over 200k on their motors and they were still going strong but they wanted something different.The biggest problem is the plastic on the 1st gens gets old and brittle.RSTDs have little or no plastic,suspension parts and brakes are easy to fix or replace and if the paint fades while a repaint is almost like a new bike:)The RSTD motor is basicly the same motor as in the 1st gen and the Venture and older V MAX so lots of parts, so even if you do wear it out and you still like the bike rebuild it.These are not 50k throwaways

Yamaha didn't give these bikes a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty out of the goodness of their own hearts. They wouldn't let marketing dept do that either unless they knew overall the claims would be minimal. Basically bullet proof.

Watch the fuel pump. Some have had failures around your mileage. Others have never had one fail. It won't strand the bike though. You can bypass it and it will run gravity feed as long as the tank is over 1/4 full

RSTDdog

Here at the Love's store one of the clerk's rides a Royal Star Classic that has over 200,000mi she told me her classic usually gets 4,000mi each month or more and never had an issue just basic maintenance

She loves that bike and said she would ride the wheels off of it before she bought another one so it looks like she will be riding it for some time to come

Buddy

proper maintenance these motors will last

there's a reason why so many HD riders call this motor the BEAST & BULLETPROOF !!!!!!!

Only other motor that can stand with the Venture motor as for miles is the Gold Wing......

Buddy

The BMW seems to last as long also. I have a friend that has a boxer that has 170,000 and has never had any issues with it.

• 3 months later...

I know a man in flordia called Mr T. He is 85 and has over 285K and still going on a 99 white RSV. Another man that bought his RSV in fitzgearl ga has over 300K as of last year this time, don't know how many he has now. I have had 5 goldwings and have a 1500 now but my RSV is a better ride.:Venture:

Sounds like at 55K my RSTD is just starting to get broken in well! My previous ride was an 83 Venture I bought new, and sold in 06 when I bought my RSTD. The 03 only had 43K, as I didn't ride as often as I do now. I stuck with the Venture/RSTD model because I was so happy with the 03. Bought the 06 just because I thought I should get a new bike at least every 23 years. :-)

The Yamaha OEM (really Mitzibushi) is about $300.

(But you can buy a generic for $50, needs some modifications.)

Like RSTD dog said, you can gravity feed with a minimum of tools, and maybe a flashlight, if it dies on the road.

It may fail but,,,, may not,,,. Yes the one on my RSTD did,,, about 50k.

But, as you can limp home on gravity-feed, probably an overkill to replace a good one, unless it is suspect. (if you do, send it to me, I'll pay shipping!)

Search back on old posts on "gravity". I know I've posted "how-to" a couple of times.

Mike G in SC

I bought my 06 RSTD new in July 06, and just turned 50K on the odometer. I swear it rides and runs just as good or better than it did on day one. Any ideas on how long one of these will continue to go before they are no longer reliable?

I'm crazy when it comes to maintenance, changing the oil every 2K. All other maintenance "by the book". Cosmetically it looks like new.

I love this bike, and want to keep it as long as practical. But, I want to continue to feel safe taking it for long road trips. Thoughts?

Thinking my 2005 will last longer than my legs can hold it up for ;)