IGNORED

Bad fuel pump. Can I safely run by bypassing?

Noticed bike losing power a little. Yesterday it gave up 1.5 miles from the house. Thought it might be clogged filter. Nope. But I will change it anyhow since I got it out. Bypassed the pump and bike fires right up. WILL NOT run if fuel lines are connected to pump.

Is it safe to run it by gravity feed?

Thanks Joe. Just did a little more testing.

Removing the pump and using fuel line in a glass jar, it seems to be pumping. The pump itself is getting VERY hot. To the point I cannot hold it nor barely touch it. Is that normal?

My speculation is that the pump is overheating and shutting down. such a wonderful intermittent problem that the stealership will most likely say they cannot find a problem.

Caller the stealership. They won't order pump without 1) having the bike to verify warranty replacement or, 2) I prepay for the pump.

Their mechanic got injured over the weekend and is out a day or 2, and they are busy so cannot get to the bike until the end of the week. If they determine the pump is bad, it will take another 3 or 4 days to get new pump.

Bike seems to idle just fine with no 'hot" pump.

Again, speculation is that the higher demand for fuel at cruise/accel. is straining the pump.

I hate to be without my bike for 2 weeks.

Found a new OEM pump online for $209. Tempted to bite a $200 bullet. Next closest dealer is an hour away.

Hey, Bronson....found this:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=380679&postcount=13

Forty bucks doesn't sound too bad, if it doesn't fix the problem and you have to take it to the dealer, at least you won't be out $200.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I thought the same thing. Was talking to my dad and even said that to him. Seems any low pressure pump should work.

Have to go to the auto parts store anyhow. Gonna see what they have.

Just bypass it and let the warranty replace it. It'll be fine. Mine started acting up intermittently so I bypassed it and rode it to the dealer for replacement. Just keep at least a gallon or 2 of fuel in it all the time. This is just to assure you have a little head pressure on the flow of the fuel. Dealer checked mine out too and said there was nothing wrong with it but replaced it since he already had it out. Like I said, it was doing it every now and then so that's why I bypassed it and rode the 100 miles to the dealer without a problem. You may want to talk with the dealer and see if you can get him to order one ahead of time so you don't have to leave the bike there. This is what I did. Hope you get it worked out!! BTW, a new one costs a little over 300 dollars according to the bill that they charged for the pump. Ouch!!!!!

Your bike is still under warrenty......so have Yamaha replace it. My 02 has over 130k and I've never had a fuel pump issue. Now your filter my be causing issues if it's choked up?

Hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks Joe. I thought the same thing. Was talking to my dad and even said that to him. Seems any low pressure pump should work.

Have to go to the auto parts store anyhow. Gonna see what they have.

Your bike is still under warrenty......so have Yamaha replace it. My 02 has over 130k and I've never had a fuel pump issue. Now your filter my be causing issues if it's choked up?

Hope this helps,

Rick

Yep, it's under warranty. Filter is not restricted at all. the pump is getting weak and intermittent.

Talked to local stealer. Their story was this: "We have to have the bike to determine the problem. Our mechanic got injured over the long weekend and we are very busy. Could get to your bike by the end of the week. If it is a pump problem, that is a special order and will take 4 days to get."

Since I had things apart, I put in a new fuel filter before buttoning everything up to take it to dealer.

Started the bike up and the original pump seems to be working normally. Rode around the neighborhood a little (2 or 3 miles) in 1st and 2nd gears to keep fuel demand up. Never had a hesitation.

Guest scarylarry

They won't order pump without 1) having the bike to verify warranty replacement or, 2) I prepay for the pump.

If it is under warranty why would anyone prepay for anything?

Am I missing something here?

The fuel pump should not get hot. If it even gets a little warm, it is failing. My pump failed about the same mileage, on the way to Sturgis. I bypassed it like you did, and it did fine till I got a replacement.

• 2 years later...
The fuel pump should not get hot. If it even gets a little warm, it is failing. My pump failed about the same mileage, on the way to Sturgis. I bypassed it like you did, and it did fine till I got a replacement.

What exactly is the bypass- what tubes are needed etc? I can't find the exact thread on Gravity feed.

Thanks

Venture Far...

What exactly is the bypass- what tubes are needed etc? I can't find the exact thread on Gravity feed.

Thanks

Venture Far...

Quote V7goose from an earlier thread.

2. If the pump is actually bad, you can then simply disconnect the fuel line from the top of the fuel filter and move it to the carburetor input (bypassing the fuel filter and the fuel pump). This will allow you to ride the bike until you get a replacement pump.

A thread like this got me nervous before. Someone had posted an aircraft pump that would work from aircraft spruce online. I bought it and tossed it in the side bag. Looks like I had better just install it this spring.

I notice on my bike every once in a while it will bogg a bit them pick back up. JUST like the pump is choking out the revives.

I can't hardly imagine a more reliable pump than a solid state one from an aircraft engine. There was a problem tot he install, something about the way the power to it is to be cut off. Some gadget you needed to install that made me wait.

It will run on gravity, best with a full tank and good unclogged tank vent. IF and when it happens to anyone else. Take the line off the pump and cut a Bic pen to put between both lines in place of the pump to make it to where you can fix it.

You wont get any WOT out of it. but it will go.

And I am all about replacing a weak point with a cure, not the same problem. The aircraft Pump is going on mine.