IGNORED

Carry it with you or leave it?

mmoffitt

I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions on this, but I was wondering how you all do this while traveling. What I'm talking about is your GPS, helmets, jackets, cups, etc. When you stop, do you take all, some or none of this stuff with you? Does it matter if it's a 15 minute ice cream stop verses a 1.5 hour dinner? Also, do you keep your trunk and bags locked at all times?

I've kind of bounced back and forth depending on the area of town I'm in but was wondering what others do while travelling....

Thanks for your help!

Mike

For me it depends a lot on the area and situation. If there are dozens/hundreds of other more expensive and tricked out bikes around, then I don't worry so much. If I am the only bike in a Wal Mart parking lot, I tend to be more careful.

A short stop where I don't loose sight of my bike means I will leave more stuff on it like the helmet/jacket/GPS etc. IF I am walking away and out of sight for a longer time, I will lock up.

With my Wing, I can lock most stuff with the push of a button, on the Venture, I use the key most of the time because it is good practice to keep those latches locked so you don't lose a lid!

my Sat radio is nylon tied to the bike for safety and security, so I don't remove it. I will lock my helmet to the helmet locks if there isn't room in the trunk/bags.

Generally if I am in a group of bikes and everyone else leaves their stuff, so will I, there is some safety in numbers, and I usually don't have the newest/most expensive stuff! :)

My GPS goes in the trunk and i lock it, especially since the Garmin 660 doesn't have a mount that locks. I still wouldn't leave it on the bike even if it did have mount that locked though. I have been known to even take it with me too. There are just way too many thieves out there to leave it on the bike for people to see.

For the most part, "Out of site is out of mind".

Your example of Wal-mart,,, I carry my helmet in and put other stuff in the bags.

I don't usually bother to lock them,,, unless I have something specific of value.

It is nice that the Royal Star lines have bags.

Mike G

The "Out of sight, out of mind" works really well. Sometimes that isn't always possible when traveling with the bags packed. The GPS can always be slid into a crack somewhere, that lil sucker can disappear way to fast.

The helmet, the locks are good, not so much that they stop the theft but the fact that they would more than likey have to cut the strap to remove it and that renders the helmet worthless. If it's a questionable area, I take it with me.

Since I bought my new riding jacket and I hate carrying it around as it's pretty bulky, I found an old trick to secure it to the bike. I bought one of the rubber coated steel cables they sell for bicycle locks. I run it through the sleeves and can add another jacket as well if I have a passenger, the run it though the grab handles and lock it up.

Mike

I guess I'm kinda paranoid but I lock everything up It would be just my luck to be far from home and someone would see the need to take something off my hands! I just had a case come from E Bay to slip my GPS into for those short stops......has belt loops on the back.....perfect fit for the 660 and some other small items.

Keith

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250822350249]Black Leather Case Bag for GPS. Garmin Magellan TomTom. | eBay[/ame]

Due to the areas where I work and the area where I live. It is a habit to not leave anything of even questionable value in sight and or unlocked. At work if you leave a quarter in the cup holder of the center consol, someone will smash a window to get at it.

it don't take much perceived value to get hit.

Lock it up or loose it. Why take the chance...

People do not care...they see it...some would take it just cause they could, no matter if they have no use for it.

I believe it is part of that moral decay we have now.

Thanks for the replies...pretty much along the lines of what I expected. Guess it doesn't take but a few more seconds secure everything...We usually carry our helments in but sometimes it's a pain depending on where you are...so I should start using the helmet locks more. I like the idea of locking the jacket up with a cable but probably would only do it if we were going to leave the bike for a while (like on a tour). I agree that the GPS is something that's just WAY to easy for someone to snag walking by...

Lock it up or loose it. Why take the chance...

People do not care...they see it...some would take it just cause they could, no matter if they have no use for it.

:sign yeah that:

A Throttle Rocker came with my Virago. I only used it occasionally when taking a longer trip and would take it off whenever I left the bike out of sight for any length of time. Mostly I just commute and don't go anywhere so the Rocker sat in my house. After a few years, I found it in a drawer and thought what's the point of having it if I never use it. So I put it on. Three days later I was at the municipality paying my taxes, came out to find a guy on a Harley in the next stall over. We chatted about this and that then he left. Then I left and don't you know the Rocker was gone.

It's gospel, lock it or lose it.