IGNORED

Cruise Control or Throttle Lock 1983 Venture

Any suggestion as to what and where to purchase. Mine is not a Royal and I bought one off Ebay that mounts between the grip and the power switch assembly - Problem is, on my bike the throttle grip and the power switch do not seperate so the bracket cannot fit between them. Thanks in advance. Roger

Roger,

I have an 83 Royale with a throttle lock mounted between the switch and the grip. As far as I know this is an aftermarket item since I don't recall having that sucker when I bought an 83 back in 83.

If you have the wherewithall to retrofit an electronic cruise I would recommend that

NEP makes a throttle lock that comes in two halves and fits between the grip and start housing without removing the grip. The trouble is I believe NEP is out of biz, and the only place you can find them is on Ebay. I did buy one once that didn't seperate and understand your frustration... I just looked and here's a new one that looks promissing. 200610668833 There's even a link to a demonstration video.

:sign yeah that:

I have what coy545boy showed also. The cruise on my '84 can be shall we say.....defiant......at times so I installed the cruise lock and added a Throttle Rocker to.

It fits great around the controls and works very well. That's a pretty good price to. I think I paid about $36.00 for mine.

Mike

Breakaway makes an excellent product but nothing beats an electronic cruise control.

The reason I choose Breakaway over the competition is that when you touch the front brake it deactivates the cruise control.

The problem with friction based products is they can't automatically compensate for going up hills (deaccellerate?) and down hills (accellerate?). If your riding on flats they are pretty good.:duck:

Edited by CaptainJoe

I have a '83 standard Venture as well. I use a throttlemeister, which mounts easily on the ends of the handle bars. They are made of stainless steel and look great. I used them on a 1700 mile trip last year, worked great. Check out throttlemeister website. I chose this brand because it looks great and the design should last forever.

The problem with my thumb lock is that it does slip at lower speeds (I presume from wear) and you need to "knock" it to get it off, which takes valuable time if you need to hit the brakes hard. I believe the throttlemeister is a vernier type friction lock, which needs to be unscrewed to unlock.

If I were to purchase a new throttle lock I would go with the breakaway in spite of the hefty price tag. the ability to be able to dump the throttle simply by hitting the brake is priceless as I found out when I almost had a tank slapper with my thumb lock on.

ANY throttle lock should be tight enough to hold the grip in place against the spring action....but still loose enough that you can twist the throttle even without taking the extra time to release the lock.

Anything else would be dangerous

The point Barend and I was trying to make is, sometimes a second or two counts... while you are twisting your throttle down (overpowering your friction lock) I'm already on both my brakes and the throttle lock is automatically deactivated. This is the closest you'll get to how a deactivation works on an elctronic cruise control although on a breakaway it is a manual not electrical deactivation.

Same thing occurs on my ventures electronic cruise control with the exceprtion it doesn't matter which brake you hit on it.

Thats yet another reason I perfer electrionic cruise over friction

Edited by CaptainJoe

Agreed

Electronic cruise that will disengage with either brake is the best.

A cruise that will disengage with the front brake (mechanical lock or electronic) is the next best.

A cruise that can be overpowered is the last choice that I would make.

There is no way I would want a cruise that does not have some form of auto-release or can not be overpowered. (I am not sure if there really is such a thing, I personally have never seen one.)

FWIW

From the training that I have had, I was taught that if you are mashing the brakes in a panic stop, that since your left side has nothing better to do, it should be pulling in the clutch. Pulling the clutch has almost the same effect at the rear wheel as dropping the throttle whether or not you have a throttle lock engaged. You should also be clicking down thru the gears as is appropriate as your speed drops so that you are ready for rapid acceleration in case it is needed as the emergency stop unfolds.

AAHA!

You brought up a very good point there my friend.

Squeezing the clutch in... I do this every time I hit the brakes. Comes from many years of riding 2 cycle dirt bikes.

Works very effectively for a engine seize? or a stuck throttle cable...

Thank each of you for the tips and ideas. I ended up going with one like Coy55boy has and it will do just fine. I like the idea of the electric model and will explore those as well. Thanks again. Great info and response!!