IGNORED

Clutch bolt torque for an '87 VR

• 6 years later...

I have a 1990 Venture Royale. Replacing the clutch plates with new Barnett parts and installing a Barnett Conversion Clutch Spring Kit (511-90-10002). I have a digital copy of the service manual but simple things like how much torque to tighten the clutch bolts to is near impossible to find. Should I tighten them to 5.8 ft/lbs like for the 1987 VR?

Never replaced a clutch before so this should be an adventure. Oil drained, side cover off. Just waiting for some feedback. The YouTube videos don't show a 1990 Venture Royale.

I've never seen need to torque the clutch bolts. 5.8flbs is just a tad passed snug. MOF somewhere when in the clutch learning curve I read 10flbs, but maybe that was for the MKI?? Still a tad snugger hand tight. The deal is to not tighten them to much. Finesse is the rule here...

The standard clutch assembly on a Gen2 Venture is also 5.8ftlb (8Nm). As usual, Earl is spot on.

As a note though - use an inch-lb torque wrench on this. 70inlb. A ftlb torque wrench is not generally going to be very accurate at this low setting.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Don't ask my how I know.

RR

Per the service manual for the 86-93 Venture, 5.8ft-lb for the clutch bolts. Refer to page 3-68 in the manual, it is in the engine assembly and adjustment section in the parts diagram.

And yes, dont use a 3/8 inch torque wrench but a 1/4 inch one. The 3/8" isnt accurate enough to measure 5.8 ft-lb and you will over-tighten it and snap it off before you know you even did it.. trust me on this..

I actually ended up replacing all of mine with new ones just to be safe.

Hope this helps

Rick F.