IGNORED

Walmart's Platinum Burners?

GigaWhiskey

As some of you know, I have a pair of squids brackets and am still looking for a pair of lamps to put on them.

I see that Walmart has some called Platinum Burners. Are these even worth it? They are like $15 and $20 a pair, seems kind of low for something worth buying.

PIAA's are really nice but far more than I am willing to spend. I could see spending $50 for a good pair.

So, are the Platinum Burners worth my time and money or would it be like putting a pair of my kids night lights on the brackets?

Guest Dareman

I bought a pair as well after I found this picture from a venture rider.

His bike is an 06 RSV.

I sent him an email asking how he wired them up and attached them to the bike.

Sitting and waiting for a response!

Al Tomlinson

Bisbee, AZ

I sent him an email asking how he wired them up and attached them to the bike.

Sitting and waiting for a response!

Al Tomlinson

Bisbee, AZ

I had them today in my hands when I was by walmart..they looked nice for that money..and I think you can attach them on the wind deflector .. but I also Iike to know how you wire them

Whiskey,

I put the platinum burners on my 89' before I sold it. I was very happy with them! The price is fantastic and they were good lights.

I replaced the 55w bulbs with 35w, but had to order them online. ( I could not find them anywhere locally)

I would buy them again if needed. Good value.

Guest Dareman
Al, hopefully you'll be able to share the response. That's a nice tight installation.

I am still waiting. As soon as I get it I will post it for all to see.

I called and left several messages for him to call me in addition to the email.

Hopefully he will read these posts and see the picture of his bike I pasted at the beginning of this post.

I talked to a Venture mech at a dealership and he says they can be wired to the bright light hot wire so they come on when you hit yor bright light. (If that is legal in your state.)

I talked to a Venture mech at a dealership and he says they can be wired to the bright light hot wire so they come on when you hit yor bright light. (If that is legal in your state.)

That statement got me thinkin'. On my '85, I wonder if the brights on the stock headlight (mine is still recessed), if it is bright enough to be run all the time on the bright setting as if it were a low beam on newer bike. Yanno, as if my light is very dull compared to lights seen on cars and bikes today. (Hope that made sense)

NEway, I am enjoying this thread.

Lights are more about aiming that wattage. Your Venture Royale has an adjustable headlight, so what you should do is have someone sit on the bike on a flat rstretch of road and you walk a hundred feet away or so, and see what the light looks like. If you adjust the high beam so that it doesn't dazzle the eyes (be sure to kind of bend over so your eyes are at eye level for the typical car driver) then you should be able to run the high beam all the time, but then your low beam will be pretty much useless.

I find it is better to aim the low beam a touch high, since most of the time in busy areas you almost never use a high beam, and I prefer to have that availabe so I won't aim mine low like above. So I guess I am saying do as I do, not as I say? :)

Same with the aux driving lights. They will do their best job, that of making sure people see you, without annoying people if you aim them a touch low like a low beam But I know lots of guys that run them so they really burn the eyes.

That statement got me thinkin'. On my '85, I wonder if the brights on the stock headlight (mine is still recessed), if it is bright enough to be run all the time on the bright setting as if it were a low beam on newer bike. Yanno, as if my light is very dull compared to lights seen on cars and bikes today. (Hope that made sense)

hey , cat, check your private messages!

do i have to do EVERYTHING, for ya!???

lol

just jt

I wired mine to the accessory wire at the fuse block, with an inline fuse, so they would only work when the ignition was on. Then from there I added a switch for only the new lights on the right panel. Then a relay inside the right panel, and down to the lights on Squidley brackets. I liked haveing total control of the lights. they only came on when I wanted them on, and went off with the key in case I forgot. The charging system seemed to handle them okay.

I put a set of 55 watt'ers on my 83 and just upped the idle to 1150 rpms.

They worked great for 11 years and sold the bike with them on it.

I have a set of 55 watt'ers on my 02 and they work great and I have them on all the time. They set low on the bike and there primarily set about low beam height and there adjusted a little left and right of center to get the ditches.

When I turn my headlight on high beam all 3 work fantastically well together and really light up the night.

I also have the YAMAHA 35 watt driving lights and there really not as bright as I like and even tho there on its just for safety cause they don't light up the road like my 55 watt'ers do.

I want to change them out to 55 watt bulbs.

OHH the things on my list. I need more chrome I think. LOL

You can see them in my Photo Gallery..........Ron

"I talked to a Venture mech at a dealership and he says they can be wired to the bright light hot wire so they come on when you hit yor bright light. (If that is legal in your state.)"

Don't power them directly off the hi-beam without a relay - the wiring can't handle it adequately. Using a relay that will work just fine.

Jeremy

• 3 months later...
Got to actually use these last night. I turned them on and could not believe how well I could see. Made the real headlight useless!

What was also kwl was it outlined my windshield, looked kewl..

I knew you would like them, I wouldn't ride without a set on the scoot

:happy34:

I stopped by the local Walmarts looking for a set of the Platinum Burners and didn't find anything that looked like the all chrome set I picked up off Ebay so kept walking. Then I thought.... maybe they were just out of stock, and did a google search for Walmart Driving Lights. I found this very interesting write up on all driving lights and thought it would be worth passing on. CLICK HERE BTW the set I found on Ebay ran right at $30 bucks to the door.

I had a chance to run mine a bit in Big Bend this weekend. They really help in the curves. Also pick off street signs. I simply upgraded the hardware and put a safety screw in the bezel. I do notice that the bulb is a bit loose now. I think the compression foam behind the bulb needs some engineering. Or perhaps a gasket between the bezel and the bulb. Would need to be high temp material. For the money they work great.

JB

I bought the Platinum Burners, but haven't had a chance yet to put them on yet. I think they will mount nicely on the brackets I got from Squid at last year's maintenance day.

There was a thread about these, couldn't find it though, and some members mentioned about the outer ring vibrating loose. So it may be a good idea to use some loctite or something to keep it from falling off. No first gen jokes please...

• 2 years later...

This company was very, very, very hard to deal with. Their cataloug is incomplete and calling the phone line (only 9 to 5 thank you) is a pain. The lady said there was one model that was much brighter but she didn't remember the model number.

I went to about a dozen O=Reilly stores and they all looked the same. I asked the various salesmen the difference and they had no idea. I studied the catalous tied onto the shelf and it made no sense.

So I bought every single model in the store, took them home and hooked them up and they all looked the same. Then I brought them back. I then saw some at a flea market and they were like ten times brighter when I hooked them up to the guys battery. They are Optronics burners but I do not know the model number. I checked with my brother in law, a highway patrolman and he said they were legal.

I wish I could provide more information but this company is so dittzey that I can't. They seem to have cornered the market but are very secretive about giving out any info. And they are uninformed. I could not even find most of the lights I cought on thei web site. It seems very outdated.