IGNORED

Questions on power years and exhaust

The early Royal Stars didn't have near the HP of the '99 and up RSV and the new model RSTDs. The RSV and RSTDs put about about 99 HP at the crank. I don't remember for sure but I think your Royal Star was made somewhere around 65 HP. Maybe a bit more but I know if was a lot less.

The early Royal Star's carbs are smaller, cams are smaller, and gearing is even higher than the RSV. They are the biggest pile of mismatched parts I ever saw. Everything can be corrected though.

Peg,

Any idea about how much the cost of carbs change?

calperin

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

So you suggest changing the rear to a venture or the v max.

Not that i will be changing anything yet. i like the bike the way it is and it has plenty power to scare me so ill leave her alone.

Isnt there like a big air kit on here somewhere. The bog foot.

i cant find it on the search.

So you suggest changing the rear to a venture or the v max.

Not that i will be changing anything yet. i like the bike the way it is and it has plenty power to scare me so ill leave her alone.

Isnt there like a big air kit on here somewhere. The bog foot.

i cant find it on the search.

I don't know about the rear, but the carbs allways were an issue. I almost tune and clean it every year, and never got more than 38 mpg, when with the bigger ones the VR get at least 44 mpg. That is huge difference.

The carb mod you are referring to was called the 'Big Foot'. Basically took the air box and cut more air holes in it to allow the engine to breathe easier. Also had to change the carb jets to larger size. I had a 1996 Royal Star. After all that work I was sure it sounded better :) but am not really sure it had any more power. I did some seat of the pants tests with a buddy on the identical bike except he did not have the Big Foot mod. On the highway dropping down to 3rd gear and up, or 4th, or 5th gear roll ons he always seemed to beat me. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know about the rear, but the carbs allways were an issue. I almost tune and clean it every year, and never got more than 38 mpg, when with the bigger ones the VR get at least 44 mpg. That is huge difference.

very few 99 and up RSV/RSTD riders get 44mpg except under very controlled easy rides.

very few 99 and up RSV/RSTD riders get 44mpg except under very controlled easy rides.

I'm averaging 41.4 with imperial gallons.

US gallons would be just over 31. Mostly in town, and NL is fairly hilly.

I'm averaging 41.4 with imperial gallons.

US gallons would be just over 31. Mostly in town, and NL is fairly hilly.

Sorry to hear about that. I get minimum 34 and on full highway ride up to 41 mpg.

But never 44 as everybody else told me they use to get.

About power, I have more than what I need. No complains. The day I'll need more, I think I'll switch to a Valkiry from Honda.

:cool10::cool10::cool10: