IGNORED

Leather saddlebag cover mounting

I just got a set of Troy Savoie saddlebag lid covers, thanks to a nice member here. What I need is the proper size trim for the edges to make it work. I was looking online at various u shaped edge mouldings and im a bit confused. Some of you have already mounted this cover so id like some suggestions on what I need to buy as far as trim goes. I did send an email to Troy but needless to say he never responded. Didnt really expect him to either based on his past record. Any ideas will help....:smile5:

I just got a set of Troy Savoie saddlebag lid covers, thanks to a nice member here. What I need is the proper size trim for the edges to make it work. I was looking online at various u shaped edge mouldings and im a bit confused. Some of you have already mounted this cover so id like some suggestions on what I need to buy as far as trim goes. I did send an email to Troy but needless to say he never responded. Didnt really expect him to either based on his past record. Any ideas will help....:smile5:

I used contact cement and cemented mine on.....working good for me, 3rd or 4th year now, and no issues at all. I didn't want the "trim" on mine, just the leather.

gunk:shock3:

Most Auto Supply stores have that chrome plastic trim Troy used. I don't know the size but you need to use a hair dryer to heat it and be very patient! Troy probably won't respond after all the stuff that went down. I pray he got his stuff in order and that things are going better for him.

I used contact cement and cemented mine on.....working good for me, 3rd or 4th year now, and no issues at all. I didn't want the "trim" on mine, just the leather.

Can you explain how this process is applied? I bought black trim from Crappy Tire and used that... took a lot time and patience and sore hands but it looks good on my Midnight.. Holding up well except for where I scratched the leather with my fingernail of all things.. ergh

Because I trimmed the leather away close to the plastic trim, if it were to pull out, there wouldn't be any way to redo the job as you need the extra leather to pull it taut.. But gluing it down? Might be a recourse if it pulls away.

Cheers

A good quality contact cement, and just follow the instructions. I like mine without the trim, they are there...but don't have the trim to make them jump out at you.....a nice subtle change to the lids.

Gluing them on worked fine, just make sure it's a good quality contact cement.

A good quality contact cement, and just follow the instructions. I like mine without the trim, they are there...but don't have the trim to make them jump out at you.....a nice subtle change to the lids.

Gluing them on worked fine, just make sure it's a good quality contact cement.

Thanks Gunk... much appreciated..!

• 8 months later...

I see that this is an old post but I have been thinking about doing something with my saddle bag lids as well. Mine have a few scratches on the front edge only - I would say from the copilot getting on and off. I have been playing with the idea of just putting leather on just the front 3"-4" or back to the hinge area. I meant to get a piece of leather yesterday but forgot about it. Anyone tried that? I was thinking it may match up with the tank leather piece? I have never worked with leather so it may not work? Something like the one in this link for the HD bags but just the front portion.

Keith

http://www.ridetek.com/products/lid_cover.html

WOW them there is pricey Keith. I guess they are made for HD and they have to be atleast "hundred doallar". I would say if you had an upolstery shop that does headliners and such they should be able to hook you up. Dont look real diffacult but I'm not an upolstery guy either. but I have made nagahide covers for my tool box. So I can run a sewing machine.