IGNORED

If There's A Young Person You love in Your Life...Please Pass This On.

Midicat

Melanoma can end your life! Skin Cancer. We don't talk about it and probably because we just don't know. Please pass this on to any young people you know. I was young once and understood the feeling of invincibility. They need to know that they can be invincible, they just need to be vigilante.

http://dcmf.ca/

Thomas

It can be very serious. There are other types also. Most of you know that I have been dealing with Ocular Melanoma for a couple of years. Been through radiation and two surgeries. Just had a 6 month checkup a couple of weeks ago to make sure that it hasn't spread to my liver. Still waiting on the results but I'm sure it's OK for now. They really don't know what causes it but they suspect that the sun probably plays a part. WEAR YOUR SUNGLASSES.

I finally asked the doctor on my visit a couple of weeks ago if I still actually have cancer and he told me that for the type that I have, I will never be pronounced cancer free. He said that they can only hope to contain it to the eye. Of course I went blind in that eye about a year ago but so far, so good.

My wife grew up on a ranch and has spent most of her life on a horse working cattle. Most of that time without sunscreen. She recently finished 6 weeks of radiation treatment for basil cell carcinoma. She's had a number of "cancers" cut out over the past few years, but this one popped up quick and surgery would have been disfiguring.

She'll be seeing the dermatologist every three months for the foreseeable future to check for more cancer and she uses sunscreen all the time, now.

Sunshine isn't bad for you.

BURNING from a sunburn is bad for you. And the melanoma some get at 30 is from

sunburns they got when they were 15, when we thought the best way to get a good base tan was to burn the first tan of the summer.

Sunscreen sucks because many people think that one slathering

of the stuff protects you all day. It doesn't. It can only protect as long

at the number says. An SPF of 20 means you can stay in the sun

20 times longer than you could without it before burning. But for most

people (more than 50%) begin to burn in TEN MINUTES! And the stuff needs

to be reapplied every hour to maintain the number.

Just an FYI.