IGNORED

hoses

oldgoat

ok where do i get some good radiator hoses?

i found out i blew the hose from radiator to the engine still not sure how the radiator is. looks clean no holes. i went to a stealer to check on the price they said why you still have one of thoes on the road?? gee what a jerk. said all the hoses would be around $200.00 damn them are expensive hoses. saw some on ebay but still where talking 27 year old hoses. hate to put it back together and keep my fingers crossed that old ones from ebay will hold up. i checked napa auto to see if i could match some up but to many bends in that one for the bike to even come close.. the long one on the bike looks like it was replaced at some time still a tag on it from a dealer in MN? cant read the date though? all the other ones are either real hard or weather checking? and i hate them spring type clamps you squeeze them to get them off and they dont look like they have enough tension to hold the hoses when i go to put them back on??

not in a hurry right now its tore down rags over the engine to protect it. as i have a wedding to attend in MN my daughters. then i will get back to the project at hand. also came accross a free bike a friend has up there. an old yamaha radian?? needs a clutch. it moves but slips. something to do next winter??

You almost have to use the spring clamp style where the hoses connect to the heads. A standard screw type clamp is a real pain in the nether regions to get in there.

I found a large set of bent tip needle nose pliers at a surplus store that works great to install them. Cost about $4

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/pliers.jpg

Hey ya goat,

The odds of the radiator having a problem would be minimal in my opinion. I had steam blowing off mine last spring and pulled it off to have it checked. The guy at the radiator shop was impressed and said he hadn't seen a radiator made that well in years. He pressure checked it and found no problems. I had him give it a dip just for the fun of it.

I found that I had a pinhole on the upper hose that attaches on the upper left corner, just behind the clamp. That was blowing down onto the radiator making it look like that was the problem.

Now I've had some luck taking the old hoses to the auto parts store and playing around on the hose display rack. Sometimes you can come up it something that is real close to what you need for a lot less than OEM prices.

As far as clamps, just replace them with new SS ones. Cheap insurance.

Mike

thanks gary interesting tool i will see if wally world or the local hardware store has one of them. im sure that they still make these type clamps? i would like to replace at least 2 of them ? they seem kind of weak.

thanks gary interesting tool i will see if wally world or the local hardware store has one of them. im sure that they still make these type clamps? i would like to replace at least 2 of them ? they seem kind of weak.

Harbor Freight has them cheap to.

Gary

yes they have everything thats in the book, on the shelf and in the attatched warehouse, just walk in and point to the item you want in the book, and some kid will run to the other end of the building and fetch it for you. open 7 days.

coupons in every book, just ask for the discount and get it.

mike